Redoing all my shipping to include international on some items and not on others

I am redoing all my shipping for the first time in years and have a question with US and worldwide.

I am shipping some things internationally to possibly increase sales.

I have set up shipping for Can, US, and worldwide.

Ir now shows US under the US shipping as well as again under worldwide so 2 prices for the US

How do I only have it show up under US but not under worldwide?

See item 391803173097

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Redoing all my shipping to include international on some items and not on others

Mine is OK now as I changed US and International to generic listings with prices. It only shows 1  on the listings from this morning.

I guess I will find out about discounts once I get a sale with multiple items as I don't charge extra for additional purchases.

I don't think there will ever be anyway to stop buyers from paying for each item individually especially with free shipping.

I leave it free so I don't have to pay FVF on US or international sales.

Still have not finished with the .com listings but it will be easier as no selling outside of Canada or the US and I will set it up on Auctiva for exclusions which seems to be OK

Generic shipping with a price so I am not tied to a specific method of shipping.

It's on the agenda for tomorrow.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

If separate countries are used instead of "worldwide", then americans wouldn't see the international choice

Yes, what I recall is that once I used "worldwide" for international, the double shipping display to the U.S. stopped.  Maybe I wasn't being too clear earlier. 

I believe that Toby is saying the opposite of what you are saying.  If you use the list of countries instead of worldwide, the doubling up is prevented. Or, if you use worldwide, you have to use a generic term for all international.  Many of your .ca listings show 2 choices for the US.  

I've never understood what purpose that list of separate countries serves.  If a seller can use "worldwide" and set up exclusions, I think it accomplishes the same thing. 

I think that using worldwide and then exclusions can look awfully messy and confusing. But since the ship to  list of countries isn't complete, I use worldwide and then exclusions otherwise some countries such as New Zealand will be excluded by default.

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

If separate countries are used instead of "worldwide", then americans wouldn't see the international choice

"I believe that Toby is saying the opposite of what you are saying.  If you use the list of countries instead of worldwide, the doubling up is prevented. Or, if you use worldwide, you have to use a generic term for all international.  Many of your .ca listings show 2 choices for the US."  

I believe you're right, but I don't think it's quite as simple as Toby states.  This is another example of eBay's inconsistent programming logic.  When I use 2-tier international shipping on .ca, 1 for U.S., and 1 for "worldwide" (in conjunction with my exclusion list), I don't get double entries for U.S. shipping in my listings.  

However, on .ca I sometimes want to be able to list a specific shipping cost to the U.S., then break out international into locations which are closer (e.g. European countries), and further ("worldwide") for a higher shipping cost (i.e. 3 tiers of international shipping).  Apparently, as you suggest, this causes the programming to pick up the U.S. a second time (as part of worldwide).  

The screen shots below are examples of this difference between 2 and 3-tier international shipping.  They show two different .ca listings.  The first only displays U.S. shipping once under the Shipping tab on the listing (despite the fact that "United States" is actually selected twice on the first listing shown here -- go figure!).  The second screen shot is my 3-tier international option, which I use when items can't go by the single international Light Packet rate.  Here the U.S. shipping is displayed twice in the listing -- the actual U.S. cost plus the highest international rate (which tells me it's picking up that rate from the highest "worldwide" option I've selected).  

How stupid that eBay can never seem to get this right. The programming should be designed to be able to recognize when "United States" has already been filled in as a shipping option.  

So the reason you see double U.S. shipping entries on some of my .ca listings is dependent on whether I've used 2 or 3-tier international shipping options.  I've been too busy to spend time trying to figure out how (or if) this can be corrected, but I don't think there is a way around it where 3 tiers are needed.  My U.S. buyers, as you say, will see two rates but will likely choose the lower one.  In any case, I have only a few straggling listings left on .ca.  

... since the ship to  list of countries isn't complete, I use worldwide and then exclusions otherwise some countries such as New Zealand will be excluded by default."

This is exactly what I discovered some time ago, i.e. that without using "worldwide", NZ doesn't get picked up.  Instead of using "Oceania" (as in the exclusion list) to include Australia and NZ in the checkbox, they simply use "Australia".  Why this is so baffles me, since they use "Europe" to capture several countries.  Another stupid idiosyncrasy of eBay's shipping options. 

1)  2-Tier international shipping, where only 1 U.S. shipping rate shows on the listing (shipping only to Canada, the U.S. and particular other countries).  The trouble with using this option all the time to avoid double U.S. shipping displays is that the "ship to" list doesn't include other international countries I might want to ship to).  This is not a typical listing of mine, because I don't normally like to use the "Buyer contacts for costs" option: 

US ship options(01).jpg

2)  3-Tier shipping, where two U.S. shipping rates show on the listing: 

US ship options(02-2xDisplay).jpg

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

Here's another example.  Screen shot #1 shows the "Worldwide" SYI options chosen, which results in 2 U.S. shipping rates on the listing (one of which is actually the overseas cost).  Screen shot #2 are the alternative shipping options, and shot #3 is the result (U.S. shipping displayed only once).  

The problem with the options shown in Screen shot #2 is that, as I said above, eBay doesn't properly list the various parts of the world.  For instance I was finding that by selecting that option, NZ was being eliminated.  It took me months to discover my NZ buyers weren't seeing a specific shipping rate on my listings. 

So it seems either you choose "Worldwide" and put up with the double U.S. shipping display, or select your countries and end up unwittingly omitting a few.  As is often the case on eBay, it's not a matter of choosing the ideal option for your listings, but deciding which is worse?  

As usual, I've spent far too much time trying to sort out an eBay conundrum.  I'm done with eBay for today. 

#1) -- SYI form with "Worldwide" chosen (results in a double entry for U.S. shipping on the listing): 

US +Wwide(2x-Display)-SYI.jpg

#2) -- SYI with specific countries and "will ship to" chosen (results in only 1 U.S. shipping in listing).  The irony here is that "United States" is actually checked off twice -- once for the particular U.S. cost and once in the "will ship to" section.  As I said, not every seller will want buyers to have to contact them to get a shipping quote, so this isn't ideal either.  Also, unfortunately, neither the "Asia" nor the "Australia" selection includes NZ (which for me is a significant problem).  

US +Specific(1x-Display)-SYI.jpg

#3) -- Here is what the listing shows if the options in #2 above are used -- a single U.S. rate: 

US +Specific(1x-Display)-Listing.jpg

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

Sorry but your explanations make it much more complicated than it really needs to be.

As mentioned earlier in this thread.....if you choose worldwide shipping and specify one service for the US and a different service for other countries, listings will show 2 choices for the US

To prevent that.....

You can use worldwide and specify the same service such as a international standard shipping for both the US and other countries. Only one option will show for the US.

Or

Instead of specifying that you ship worldwide, choose specific countries. Only one option will show for the US. We've already mentioned that will eliminate some countries.

The countries that you check off under Additional ship to locations - contact seller for cost have no relevance as to how the US shipping shows up. 

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

"Sorry but your explanations make it much more complicated than it really needs to be."

I don't think so -- having a wide array of sizes, shapes and weights and using flat rate shipping means I often need to break out different parts of the world with different rates (e.g. 4-tier shipping).  I'm sure I'm not the only seller in this position.  

And the complicated part is this: no choice of eBay's shipping features is without issues.  Which is phenomenally stupid for such a major online selling site.  Another site on which I sell has absolutely none of these problems -- both checkout and shipping options are easy, clear, consistent, and appropriate.  When I think of eBay's convoluted mess of shipping/checkout options, the word that comes to mind is flabbergasted (i.e. that they still can't get it right after so many years). 

"As mentioned earlier in this thread.....if you choose worldwide shipping and specify one service for the US and a different service for other countries, listings will show 2 choices for the US"

Yes, I got that.  This is what one of my screenshots above demonstrates. 

"To prevent that.....

You can use worldwide and specify the same service such as a international standard shipping for both the US and other countries. Only one option will show for the US."

This isn't much of an alternative.  The same Canada Post service is often far, far cheaper for the US than for other countries.  Why would any seller lump US buyers' shipping into a higher international rate, especially if the majority of sales are to the U.S.?  If anything, better to do it the other way around -- use the U.S. rate -- and lose money on the occasional overseas buyer.  

"Or

Instead of specifying that you ship worldwide, choose specific countries. Only one option will show for the US. We've already mentioned that will eliminate some countries."

Which doesn't work for me (and probably doesn't work for a lot of other sellers).  As I've mentioned, I discovered NZ then gets omitted, which is a particularly important point for me.  Because I sell primarily to English-speaking areas of the world, I can't afford to omit any of them.  If NZ buyers don't see a specific shipping cost when they look at a listing, they may not bother. 

Actually, I'm not looking for a "solution".  There is no shipping solution on eBay that is properly set up.  It's really a matter of the lesser of two (or three) evils.  I've more or less given up listing on .ca anyway, but I'd probably rather my U.S. buyers see two rates than eliminate NZ.  It rankles that we should even need to make such a ludicrous choice -- especially considering our store rates have been hiked by 25%.  

The countries that you check off under Additional ship to locations - contact seller for cost have no relevance as to how the US shipping shows up. 

Yes, I do realize that now, and I think I pointed that out above (see screenshots).  

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

"To prevent that.....
You can use worldwide and specify the same service such as a international standard shipping for both the US and other countries. Only one option will show for the US."

This isn't much of an alternative. The same Canada Post service is often far, far cheaper for the US than for other countries. Why would any seller lump US buyers' shipping into a higher international rate, especially if the majority of sales are to the U.S.? If anything, better to do it the other way around -- use the U.S. rate --

and lose money on the occasional overseas buyer.

I never said that you should charge the same rate, but that you could specify the same service.  I often do that and specify standard international shipping.  

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

You can use worldwide and specify the same service such as a international standard shipping for both the US and other countries. Only one option will show for the US." 

I never said that you should charge the same rate, but that you could specify the same service.  I often do that and specify standard international shipping.  

Holy cats, so you're saying that in order to work around eBay's flawed shipping option system, you have to avoid using the appropriate shipping options?  This sounds like the kind of advice eBay gives its sellers.

What's the point of having specific Canada Post options available if one has to avoid using them in order to prevent another problem?  Moreover -- what will happen when "Shippo" is introduced?

Let me repeat: eBay's shipping features do not work properly, and haven't for a very long time.  I don't know about other sellers, but I'm sick and tired of dubious workarounds.  They need to make it function appropriately.  

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Holy cats, so you're saying that in order to work around eBay's flawed shipping option system, you have to avoid using the appropriate shipping options?  This sounds like the kind of advice eBay gives its sellers.

What's the point of having specific Canada Post options available if one has to avoid using them in order to prevent another problem?  Moreover -- what will happen when "Shippo" is introduced?

Let me repeat: eBay's shipping features do not work properly, and haven't for a very long time.  I don't know about other sellers, but I'm sick and tired of dubious workarounds.  They need to make it function appropriately.  

I use generic as I change shipping depending on what is purchased and for how much money. If I have to specify, it makes it very difficult.

Sometimes I use letter mail, light packet, tracked packet, regular parcel, expedited parcel, express post envelopes, express parcels, etc

It is much simpler and I have never had complaints from buyers.

Everyone has to do what is best for them, and with Ebay, what will actually work.

I don't hold my breath for anything Ebay needs to fix as I will be dead before it gets fixed. I will probably be dead even if I don't hold my breath because many things will never get fixed.

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't see specific Canada Post options really matter unless you are using calculated shipping in which case the US wouldn't show up twice.  I suppose it is a little more important for domestic customers but do you really think that US and international customers have a clue what light packet or small packet is??  Do you get complaints about your listings on .com because they don't specify a shipping service?

Anyway, I was simply trying to explain another way of doing things. I agree that certain things on ebay should work better but  I don't find it useful to complain about it over and over. I would rather figure out how to make it work best for me. 

What does Shippo have to do with any of this?
Message 30 of 30
latest reply