Shipping % discount

I saw a thread on these boards here sometime ago with someone telling how you can make a shipping discount. I make all my listings calculated and I wanted to make it so that all shipping methods are instantly 8% off. 

Does anyone know how to do that?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Shipping % discount

So, you want to charge actual shipping less 8%? Why?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Shipping % discount

Because I get 8%+off when I pay for the shipping through Paypal. I'm passing the savings onto the buyer. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Shipping % discount

Yer paying 9% in FVF on shipping costs. That is 17% out of your pocket based on direct expenses. You might want to re-think this.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Shipping % discount

Actually the discount is14% for Tracked Packet and 18% for expedited.Those percentages are based on the counter rate. I do have a discount set up for the buyer and add an extra amount to the item price to make up for fvf's. The discounted rates can be more appealing for some buyers which can result in more sales. I realize that it is not the same for everyone.

I can't figure out how I did set it up but hopefully Poco will read this and answer as he is more familiar with it.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Shipping % discount

Instead of a discount I would try to offer free shipping as much as possible.  Especially lighter items.  If I estimate the shipping cost from the most southern state and add it to the price tag anyone who buys it who lives closer adds to my profit margin.  I recently changed my model as many competitors offer free shipping and higher prices.  Of course it doesn't work for everyone. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Shipping % discount

Owen6, my thoughts exactly. I use flat rate and am moving more to "free" shipping.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Shipping % discount

To set up a calculated shipping discount, go to

My eBay -> Account -> Site Preferences ->

Then in the first section Selling Preferences there is Shipping Preferences, click on the right Show, then you will see

Offer this Canada Post shipping rate

Click on edit on the right

Put a check mark in the box in the line

Specify a discount on all retail rates for all Domestic and International Services.

The rate boxes will appear for Domestic and International.

Enter in the discount you want applied to each. Please note that the discount is in multiples of 5%.

Remarks

1) Please note that the design of the eBay.ca calculated shipping discount page is very poor. Once you have set the discount rate, you cannot see what rate is in effect.. You need to remember or write down the rate you set.  If you need to change it one day, then you have to uncheck the box, save setting for no discount then go back and check the box again to be able to select the discount rate again.

2) The discount is immediate across all listings using calculated shipping. The buyer does not see anything showing that a discount was applied in the eBay listings or in invoices sent to the buyer. The buyer sees the discounted dost only.

3) The calculated shipping discount applies only to calculated shipping only and not to flat rate shipping.  For example, if you set up the listing with Flat Rate shipping and use Lettermail within Canada, the discount would not apply. If you set up Small Packet USA with calculated shipping, it would be discounted.

Warning

1) Be careful with how you set up your listings with calculated shipping. It applies to all active listings using calculated shipping and all Canada Post services. So if you have Small Packets USA Air or Small Packet set up with calculated shipping, it will show a discounted shipping cost. Same for Light Packet USA and International. If your intention was to show a discounted shipping cost for listing using Tracked Packet or Expedited Parcel, then for listings with Small/Light Packet you need to change them to Flat Rate shipping or add in the discount to the item price. Think carefully about using the calculated shipping discount for International.

Additional information

PayPal shipping discounts are

1) Domestic shipping within Canada

Expedited Parcel Canada is 18% off the over the counter price.

Xpresspost Canada is 8% off the over the counter price.

2) International shipping outside Canada

Tracked Packet USA and International is 14% off of the over the counter price.

Expedited Parcel USA is 18% off the over the counter price.

Xpresspost USA and International is 9%.

The eBay shipping calculator is showing the full over the counter prices in eBay listings.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply