Shipping to Italy

As a preface I should note I don't sell very many things on ebay.

First time I've had someone from Italy buy something from me and it looks like the package is taking a long time to get there. Shipped with Small Packet Surface on April 11 and it's yet to arrive (been 7 weeks?).

Is this the reason why I see ebay sellers block Italy? Do packages just take longer than usual? Or do they simply vanish (lost / stolen)?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Shipping to Italy

I ship to Italy regularly. Mail deliveries (customs) has always been on the slow side. From about 2007 to 2011 it got REALLY bad with 4 - 6 weeks being the norm.

Over the past two years the service has gotten much faster to the point now where it's not much different than the rest of Western Europe. Germany has now taken over as the slow zone in Europe.

A lot of sellers block Italy because of a few bad experiences years ago and the continued comments about delays from Sellers who stopped shipping there long ago.

You mention Small Packet SURFACE, at the best of times to anywhere overseas you are looking at 4 - 6 weeks, add a couple more to Italy.

Personally I would NEVER ship overseas by Surface mail, even my repeat buyers who ask are firmly told NO SURFACE mail.

Over the years I've sent over 1000 packages to Italy and I've never lost a single one, I'm just about due because my overall loss rate for International is about 1 in 1200.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Italy

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

I'll make sure to remove Surface as an option entirely and stick with Small Packet Air / tracked options only.

The buyer has been patient so hopefully they'll be patient a little longer and that my 1 in 1200 didn't end up coming at #1...

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Italy

toff3
Community Member

Alphajin,

You should be aware that, unless Recped has changed his standard operating procedure, he uses the USPS to ship overseas. All USPS overseas mail goes by air so Recped's refusals to accede to his customers' requests for surface mail are actually hollow.

There is nothing wrong with using overseas surface mail as long as both seller and buyer understand clearly that delivery times are long, erratic and unpredictable (forget about Canada Post's vaunted "delivery in 4 up to 6 weeks").

The fact is, we unfortunates in Canada who send goods weighing more than 500 g overseas have little choice but to use surface mail, due to Canada Post's extortionate air and Tracked Packet rates. Maybe you're lucky, Alphajin, and deal in lighter goods.

Recped, sorry to sound like a broken record (geddit?).

Tom

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Italy

Tom

No USPS International for me, gave up on that lame service many years ago. It used to at least be cheap but now that's not even true.

Have been using other postal services mostly, Deutsche Post, Belgian Post, Royal Mail and occasionally New Zealand Post. There are lots of possibilities out there who are "desperate" for business even if it's my tiny volume. In many cases Canada Post Surface would be cheaper than these options but I still won't use it.

Canada Post International service is as good as any except for the price which is intolerably high.

There is nothing wrong with using overseas surface mail as long as both seller and buyer understand clearly that delivery times are long, erratic and unpredictable (forget about Canada Post's vaunted "delivery in 4 up to 6 weeks").

I agree with this but my experience is that no matter what buyers say they really don't "clearly understand". Time and time again I hear of sellers with issues using surface mail and they often also say that they thought the buyer understood the time frames.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Italy

I definitely appreciate the 2nd opinion toff3.

Currently I don't have anything that's over 500g, just selling some extra mini-figures that are quite light. They are a bit bulky due to the box but I found out even by flattening the box I don't save anything in shipping fees.

I was definitely taken aback by the prices for Canada Post parcels by air though. Especially tracked packets outside Canada / US.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Italy

Forgot to add...

Something recped mentioned does ring true with me. I've sold items through private forums before and regardless of what the agreement I've run across people who simply refuse to be reasonable about shipping times if it's off from the "estimated" time that CP gives.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Italy

7 weeks? That would be fast. Always estimate surface in terms of months. Figure first into the  truck and wait. First into the shipping container and wait. First onto the ship and wait. Ship does the around the world cruise and wait. I tell anyone who asks "Minimum of three months".

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Italy

So it took 8 weeks to arrive with Small Packet Surface <_<</p>

Breathing a sigh of relief that it eventually made it to the seller.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Shipping to Italy

8 weeks?

Hmmm....

You mention Small Packet SURFACE, at the best of times to anywhere overseas you are looking at 4 - 6 weeks, add a couple more to Italy.

Glad to hear it showed up and the buyer is now happy. Thanks for coming back.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply