Today's chat and opinions

Am I losing it or were a lot of questions in today's chat sort of never really answered?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

They never really answer your question... If you noticed they basically ignored the Shopping Cart / Extra Fees issue with deflection as always...

The eBay nymphs are in over their heads....

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

izzame
Community Member
One's were partially answered and a lot were, will answer private or in the background. I understand that there may be private info involved but in general will a response be back on this board or is back to the sellers responsibility to "report back to the board" I'm sure that there were questions that we all are interested in the response.
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

BTW - YOU are not losing it!
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I found the comments regarding best sort interesting. More so in the context I know there are buyers who are abusing the subtitle feature to increase best match ranking and ebay seemingly does nothing on reports of this form of search manipulation and sellers can abuse it with impunity(reported examples to Raphael and followed his suggestions). As for the more bug related issues I wouldn't expect much commentary on those but it would given all of the exceptions and gotchas that occur with the cart functionality this really needs to be better documented for sellers. If I recall correct from glancing through the chat, free shipping listings can break the request total functionality? If so that is absurd.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

If all listings have free shipping the request total button is disabled. I don't find that odd at all. But the rep did specify that if one listing has free shipping the request button isn't  needed...I could be wrong but I don't think that is how it works. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

The rep did address your one question again a while after the chat was over...I don't not know if you saw that.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Mine were answered, and I thought the Best Match breakdown was very thorough and interesting. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If all listings have free shipping the request total button is disabled. I don't find that odd at all. But the rep did specify that if one listing has free shipping the request button isn't  needed...I could be wrong but I don't think that is how it works. 

I agree that it makes sense that if all items in an order (placed in the cart) have free shipping, then the "Request Total" feature should be disabled -- it's irrelevant. 

However I think the rep was mistaken, or misspoke, about "Request Total" not being needed if only one item in the cart has free shipping.  That comment didn't make much sense to me, and I think you're right that "Request Total" will still be available (provided the seller doesn't have automated discounts set up that "knock out" that feature).  

For example, if one of my buyers chooses a small item that already has free shipping, and 2 other items that do have shipping because they each need a large box, then they should be able to ask for an adjusted total.  In many cases, the total shipping on such an order can be cut in half because everything can go in one box.  

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@izzame wrote:
One's were partially answered and a lot were, will answer private or in the background. I understand that there may be private info involved but in general will a response be back on this board or is back to the sellers responsibility to "report back to the board" I'm sure that there were questions that we all are interested in the response.

I think you're referring to my post and the rep's reply.  Yes, this is exactly why I asked the same questions I'd posed in private messages, so they'd be answered on the open forum, for all to see.  What's the use of having a response to an important issue that only one person sees?

Apparently the rep was miffed because I should have directed those questions to him personally since I'd spoken to him privately.  How was I to know that he'd be on the Board Session today when I posted my questions?  Or maybe it's just that eBay is none too happy about being "found out", i.e. an issue finally revealed that's actually been making them money in excess shipping FVFs for many months.  Yeah, it's only a dollar or two here or there for many of us, hardly worth fighting with customer service over, but multiply that by thousands of transactions a month for at least 8 months.  A tidy sum, I'd say, and easily earned by eBay. 

It's very hard not to look on this from a cynical point of view.  I got no response as to why eBay didn't know, or didn't tell its sellers about this issue months ago.  Do they never spot-check their own facilities?

I suppose if you make sure you ask a purely technical, nuts-and-bolts question on the Wed. session, you'll get a decent answer.  

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The rep did address your one question again a while after the chat was over...I don't not know if you saw that.

If you read it, it is incorrect.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It is needed if you want thee buyer to quit paying for each one separate. The add to cart and make 1 payment whether it is free or not saves sellers fees

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Apparently, many of us share the same concerns. http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Community-Chat-May-31st-1pm-PT-Gener...

That is why they are called WEAKLY chats.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2017/5/1496276771.html

I do a lot of reading on the US boards and the double speak and interpretation of policies so Ebay does not have to follow them.

They may as well do way with the spring and fall updates and just tell people things will be changed as we please. It is what they are doing anyway.

I asked the same question on the .ca boards and the answer was just as good.

Everything that gets changed these days costs us more in fees, a lot more work and time, and having to watch everything so you don't get caught.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If you read it, it is incorrect.

How is it incorrect?  

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It is needed if you want thee buyer to quit paying for each one separate. The add to cart and make 1 payment whether it is free or not saves sellers fees

There is nothing stopping a buyer from adding an item to the cart but if they had 4 items in the cart and all were free shipping, why would they need to ask for an invoice?

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

And future class action lawsuits.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

And future class action lawsuits.

Ok well I'm lost. What would the damages be?

1. buyer puts 3 items in cart with free shipping

2. buyer cannot ask request an invoice in cart because shipping is already discounted (free) but they can still still pay for the items in the cart at one time.

That shouldn't result in any extra fees.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply