What is a tax I.D? For export documentation

I have a us postal box with MyUS.com I buy things from American websites that charge a lot to ship to Canada, and then have my items shipped to my customers from there. I’m shipping something to Brazil and on a form it’s asking for a tax I.D for export documentation. I don’t know what that is, and it’s really frustrating I looked it up on google and can’t seem to find a simple answer. So those anybody know what this is? MyUS.com won’t ship my package until I put in a tax I.D
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: What is a tax I.D? For export documentation

Am I to understand that you're drop-shipping internationally from another country altogether?

I suspect it's asking for export authorization via your registered business number for collecting tax and/or exporting internationally. Shipping from Canada via Tracked Packet, I do not encounter this problem. 

If this is about taxes on import, you'll have to cite an HS Code for Customs so Brazil Customs know what to charge the buyer. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Ok thanks this really helped
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Tax ID would be your American social security number, or your American business number.

The IRS wants to know, since you are doing your business from within the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxpayer_Identification_Number

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Your listings state that your items are located in Quebec  -  if they are located in the US, you may want to change all listings to reflect the true location of your items.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

When you ship to Brazil, The buyer will have a number starting with CF Such as CF 2056472. 

These CF numbers are required for the buyer to recieve a package. Brazilian Customs uses that number in order to identify the purchaser and bill tax for the purchase accordingly. 

If the Buyer has not included the CF number in his or her shipping address, you will need to obtain the buyers CF number before shipping it. Brazilian customs now requires these importation numbers for all buyers importing by mail, to simplify the Customs billing process. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@lucitabby wrote:

Your listings state that your items are located in Quebec  -  if they are located in the US, you may want to change all listings to reflect the true location of your items.

Basically this is a bit of a ZombiE thread but for informational purposes, when shipping to the USA a Tax ID Number, federal Tax ID  Number  or EIN number is a requirement for courier shipments when a formal entry is involved. Fed Tax ID number is associated to a business. EIN number is for individuals. Similar to SIN number.

A Federal Tax Identification Number, also known as a "95 Number", "E.I.N. Number," or "Tax I.D. Number", all refer to the nine digit number issued by the IRS. They are different names for the same number.

Formal/commercial entry of goods. U.S. Customs requires formal entry for any shipment valued at more than US$2000.00, and you must use a customs broker to clear such shipments.Jul. 7, 2020

The value limit has changed several times over the last few years. It does prevent delays for higher value shipments. Best to confirm with the courier or postal service prior to shipping for their requirements.

-Lotz
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Even more important whenever shipping Internationally high value items to confirm any special unique requirements at the Canadapost website.
-Lotz
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thanks @ricarmic . Forgot to include that. Unfortunately all those $2000 +- orders are few and far between. At least for me.
Christmas wish. All Canadian sellers get one or more of those per month. 🙂
-Lotz
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 11 of 11
latest reply