Why are we getting penalized for the slow postal services?

Sorry to vent, but......

I do not appreciate ebay.ca penalizing us with the question "did your parcel arrive on time" in the feedback scoring. It is an Unfair question!

I have complained about this in the ebay surveys, but still has not changed.

I mail every day at 8:30 am, sometimes two and three times after that if an item is purchased before 11:00am to make sure, on my part it gets out fast, except weekends and holidays, as our post office is not open those days.

Most of my packages are mailed to the states light packet -  estimated at 7 to 11 business days. I can send it the day it is purchased, have it hit the mail truck before he leaves town at 11:00am, and still have it not delivered by the specified dates.

My Fault????? NO!

I should not be penalized for the Canada Post mail service, Canada and US Customs, then USPS.

Even when I send Tracked Packet to the states - estimated 7 business days.....pay all the extra cost, and it still takes two weeks????

My Fault? NO!

Even the Canadian packages don't arrive on time.

My Fault? NO!

When I purchase something on ebay, and leave feedback, I don't even answer the " did your package arrive before the specified dates" YES or NO?.....I feel sorry for the seller, as I am also one, because it is an unfair question and out of our control.

I am a power seller and top rated seller, 100% positive feedback, and don't want that jeopardized by slow postal services I have no control over after it leaves my hands.

Is anyone else with me on this?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Why are we getting penalized for the slow postal services?

xeposter
Community Member

I am. It really doesn't seem fair that eBay blames the sellers if the item arrives late. I do fill out if the item arrived by the estimated delivery date, but reading your post, I am not sure if I want to do it any more if the answer would be "NO." The weird thing is when the carrier says late delivery, but the buyer doesn't. It is really annoying me...

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Hello 'craftyhands', 

<< Is anyone else with me on this?>>  

Just about everyone.  . . .  just about. Smiley Happy  

You are right, -- it is a terribly unfair question.  Like so many aspects of ebay, another policy which seems to have been 

put in place by people who never use the system.  Mails are unbelievably slow lately, no fault of any seller, but they are 

the ones to be blamed.  

Some time ago one of the ebay suits offered some gobbledy-**bleep** to others who complained about that question, 

saying that it is "working for sellers" according to ebay.  I think most people would agree that it works against sellers

Even same-day dispatch will not save a seller from a "no".  

One of the worst aspects of that question, in my opinion, is that buyers are asked this question before the last date of 

delivery has passed.  It seems to me that if a buyer is leaving feedback before the last estimated date of delivery, then 

the question should have an automatic and non-removable 'yes'.  

If the buyer has made a mistake and is leaving feedback for the wrong seller, well, so be it, -- any and all feedback 

could be a mistake then.  

To use this as a means to force sellers to send with tracking would make it impossible for so many sellers who can 

do quite well on inexpensive but alas untracked items.  It is bad enough that these sellers will have to make the 

occasional false-claim refund, but to be held responsible for the world's postal delays is monstrously unfair.  

And lately the postal systems are unusually slow.  I'm not sure why that would be, and have wondered if situations 

in the world have resulted in closer scrutiny for all mailed items and hence delivery delays.  

At the moment I am waiting for 3 "late" parcels, -- 2 from the UK (last dates, March 22, March 28) and one from Australia

(March 31).

I have no doubt at all that all 3 sellers put the parcels in the mail.  I blame the postal system.  When the items eventually 

arrive I will click "yes" to the 'on time' question because I know whose fault it is, -- and whose it isn't.  

I always click "yes" because I fear an unanswered question could be left to ebay's interpretation and I simply find myself 

unable to completely trust what the wrong mind-set may infer from a blank space.  

None of the packages had tracking, but if mail systems take longer than what we would all like  I would think sellers 

ought to be able to adjust the "expect by" dates.  There needs to be a wider window or something.  Part of the problem 

is that too many people do not understand the difference between an optimistic "estimate" and an  etched-in-stone guarantee. 

So I'm not sure what the solution is.  Perhaps if enough sellers vociferously complain about how detrimental this is 

chiefly because it is not an accurate tool of measurement for seller performance, then maybe it can be adjusted, at least 

for Canadian sellers who do not have cheap tracking like they do in the US.  

I can find no policy that prohibits including a sweetly worded note with a package explaining how the question affects 

the seller who, from the postmark, clearly mailed the item as quickly as possible.  I have received many such notes in 

parcels explaining the need for 5 stars and green feedback.  I understand why some sellers include these, -- too many 

buyers think that 4 stars means "very good" which is about as enthusiastically excited as some people can get.  

As it is, buyers answer the question honestly, sellers have to pad their handling times, and the postal systems do what 

they do.  The question then causes the seller to take the blame and buyers to imagine they are answering a survey. 

It's not accurate, not true, not useful and not right.  

Well then, . . .  my rant about it. Smiley Very Happy   You are in good (infuriated and indignantly outraged) company.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Woah, I got 'bleeped'. Smiley Very Happy 

I think I understand why now, -- that portion of the word can be a disparaging way to refer to certain foreigners. 

Haha, even though 'gobbledy-bleep' is the language spoken by goblins in the Harry Potter books. Smiley LOL

Wow.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@dmil8030 wrote:

Woah, I got 'bleeped'. Smiley Very Happy 

I think I understand why now, -- that portion of the word can be a disparaging way to refer to certain foreigners. 

Haha, even though 'gobbledy-bleep' is the language spoken by goblins in the Harry Potter books. Smiley LOL

Wow.

I have realized that when you type the s word, it covers it up with **bleep**. I don't know if it does it with all swear words too 😉

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Hello Alex, 

<<I have realized that when you type the s word, it covers it up with **bleep**. >>

Haha, so many ways to read that sentence. Smiley LOL

But yes, anything that an auto-system can interpret (misinterpret?) as a naughty word gets bleeped out.  Better to err 

on the side of caution, as the saying goes, -- especially on public boards.   I think it is funny when it happens, though, 

I just read it as is,  "bleep".  I don't read any dirty words into it, - far more amusing to read it as is.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

This is weird.  The first 2 posts, one by 'craftyhands' who began the topic, and Alex who next replied, have 

disappeared.    I didn't start this thread.  Where did the others go?  And what happens if I click all those 

"Accept as solution" buttons? 

Hmmmm, too much shuffling around, for my taste.   The other 2 posts were so clean they squeaked so I can't 

imagine they were removed on purpose.  

Ebay glitches again?   Didn't I read around here somewhere about things vanishing then reappearing? 

Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@dmil8030 wrote:

This is weird.  The first 2 posts, one by 'craftyhands' who began the topic, and Alex who next replied, have 

disappeared.    I didn't start this thread.  Where did the others go?  And what happens if I click all those 

"Accept as solution" buttons? 

Hmmmm, too much shuffling around, for my taste.   The other 2 posts were so clean they squeaked so I can't 

imagine they were removed on purpose.  

Ebay glitches again?   Didn't I read around here somewhere about things vanishing then reappearing? 

Smiley Frustrated

Only click the green "solution" buttons if somebody answers in somebody gives you a good answer to whatever problem you are posting about. My answer is that this is probably a glitch...unless one of the moderators went crazy Smiley LOL

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

But yes, anything that an auto-system can interpret (misinterpret?) as a naughty word gets bleeped out.

My favourite was being bleeped for being a visually impaired* optimist. I have since reverted to cynicism and misandry.

***bleep**-eyed.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

xeposter
Community Member

Hey, look! Craftyhands' post came back!

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

After 10+ years of shipping packages all over with at least 75% going to US buyers, I put the blame 100% on Canada Post for slow shipping, high postal rates, losing packages, and lack of proper services (ie: not providing any tracking for small packages at a reasonable rate).  I used to think it was customs delays or USPS that was responsible for having packages arrive in the US in anywhere from 7 - 14 days but not anymore.  I switched to using a package forwarder since December for all my US mail which now arrives to anywhere in the USA within 3 days with tracking for an average cost of $2.60 US for the small items I send plus $1 extra for the forwarding company. (Canada Post provided me with a quote of $12.00 per package with tracking on a volume contract as the lowest they would go like they would be doing me a favor).  If a package can get from the Alberta border to Florida or Hawaii within 3 days why does it take Canada Post so long to get a package there shipped from Canada? And why does it take at least 10 days for regular mail to arrive from Alberta to Ontario or Quebec? US buyers are used to fast mail delivery and they often don't understand why it takes so long to get something shipped from Canada.  I understand why they feel that way after using the USPS system and there's really no excuse for Canada Post to provide such poor and substandard mail service.  It's the sellers who get blamed, penalized, and hurt by it - Canada Post just doesn't care.  

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Perhaps you could include something in your listing descriptions to remind buyers that you live in Canada, that the delivery estimates that they see on the site come from Canada Post, not you, and that if delivery takes a little longer, there's nothing you can do about it.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@wonsxela wrote:

Perhaps you could include something in your listing descriptions to remind buyers that you live in Canada, that the delivery estimates that they see on the site come from Canada Post, not you, and that if delivery takes a little longer, there's nothing you can do about it.

I think the estimates on here are coming from *eBay* and not Canada Post.

After I ship a package, I always try to send a polite note to each buyer explaining where the package is coming from and giving an average estimated delivery (longer than what eBay says).

With that said, I totally agree with the OP that this question is totally unfair for sellers.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Perhaps you could include something in your listing descriptions to remind buyers that you live in Canada,

I put that in my feedback "shipped 7/4/16 Canada Post Air Mail" with the tracking number if there is one.

I suspect more buyers read their own feedback, if only for the egoboo, than read descriptions.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I know that there are many of us sellers here who do not use tracked mail because of the high cost here in Canada. What I cannot understand is why eBay cannot accept the date the Paypal label is printed as proof of mailing. I suppose you could print & then not mail it but really why would one want to go to that expense. For the question only (obviously could not be used to settle INR claims as only delivery would be proof) I do not see why they cannot do this. We should not be at fault for postal delays when we mail in a timely fashion.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

Hello 'katlover', 

<< What I cannot understand is why eBay cannot accept the date the Paypal label is printed as proof of mailing.>>

This may get better eventually, if Canada Post cannot be persuaded to offer cheap tracking the way the USPS does. 

I have heard that some folks can win a chargeback case with a paypal label indicating the item was intended for the 

buyer, but on a straight automated INR claim, no such luck.

As you suggest, there will always be someone somewhere who prints a label and does not mail the expensive item, 

but if there was at least an 'entry scan' of some sort at postal outlets to show it got into the system even if an item is not

worth tracking after that.  

This could settle the 'on time' problem by indicating when an item was posted but also act as 'proof of shipment' for 

chargebacks, and ought to be sufficient to save a seller from false INR claims, at least if the number indicated that the 

parcel was mailed to the recipient, and not just simply mailed.  

Well, my opinion, anyway. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

"What I cannot understand is why eBay cannot accept the date the Paypal label is printed as proof of mailing. I suppose you could print & then not mail it but really why would one want to go to that expense. "

Unfortunately, proof of purchase of a shipping label is NOT proof of shipment.

Quite possibly, a seller only ships once a week.  However, that seller could print shipping labels on the day of payment letting the buyer think the items is on its way.  In fact, it may not leave for several days.

Or, other sellers may sell "stuff" they do not yet have in stock but expect to receive in a few days - or they will buy from their suppliers to receive and ship in a few days.  Once again, by printing shipping labels immediately they let the buyer (and eBay) think the item is on the way.

Or... or... or...

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"What I cannot understand is why eBay cannot accept the date the Paypal label is printed as proof of mailing. I suppose you could print & then not mail it but really why would one want to go to that expense. "

Unfortunately, proof of purchase of a shipping label is NOT proof of shipment.

Quite possibly, a seller only ships once a week.  However, that seller could print shipping labels on the day of payment letting the buyer think the items is on its way.  In fact, it may not leave for several days.

Or, other sellers may sell "stuff" they do not yet have in stock but expect to receive in a few days - or they will buy from their suppliers to receive and ship in a few days.  Once again, by printing shipping labels immediately they let the buyer (and eBay) think the item is on the way.

Or... or... or...

Which is exactly what they are trying to crack down on to ensure handling times are accurate and sellers are selling what they have. I agree Canadian sellers who rely on light/small packet/lettermail are unfairly penalized but it does cut down on some of the list and maybe we can get it type sellers.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@joetriever wrote:

After 10+ years of shipping packages all over with at least 75% going to US buyers, I put the blame 100% on Canada Post for slow shipping, high postal rates, losing packages, and lack of proper services (ie: not providing any tracking for small packages at a reasonable rate).  I used to think it was customs delays or USPS that was responsible for having packages arrive in the US in anywhere from 7 - 14 days but not anymore.  I switched to using a package forwarder since December for all my US mail which now arrives to anywhere in the USA within 3 days with tracking for an average cost of $2.60 US for the small items I send plus $1 extra for the forwarding company. (Canada Post provided me with a quote of $12.00 per package with tracking on a volume contract as the lowest they would go like they would be doing me a favor).  If a package can get from the Alberta border to Florida or Hawaii within 3 days why does it take Canada Post so long to get a package there shipped from Canada? And why does it take at least 10 days for regular mail to arrive from Alberta to Ontario or Quebec? US buyers are used to fast mail delivery and they often don't understand why it takes so long to get something shipped from Canada.  I understand why they feel that way after using the USPS system and there's really no excuse for Canada Post to provide such poor and substandard mail service.  It's the sellers who get blamed, penalized, and hurt by it - Canada Post just doesn't care.  

I too have switched to all USPS, but USPS isn't always perfect either. International parcels often take 1-1.5 weeks to exit out of the US, particularly when routed through LA, mirroring the same problems Canada Post users have getting their packages out of the country. Domestic mail on the other hand is held to strict standards and post offices/regional inspectors are graded on that performance. Still it does tend to falter in the holiday and black Friday periods.

Canada Post is at a disadvantage with US bound mailing volumes. When we had renegotiated rates several years back with the ecommerce company I was working for they were desperate for US volume and offering heavy discounts. We ended up going with consolidated UPS brokered shipments as that was a better solution.

Consolidation and few distribution centers/air cargo points can slow things down on the Canadian side, whereas the US has a massive hub/spoke system that blankets the country, backed up by a huge volume of air cargo traffic. The US has scale which just doesn't exist here. US bound Canada Post mail. particularly on the letter/small packet side is consolidated, slowing things down. USPS gets compensated at lettermail rates for those and is in no particular hurry to expedite them either. It would be of benefit if they setup an epacket agreement with USPS that saw USPS getting compensated at marginally higher rates, mirroring the agreement USPS has with Hong Kong and China. Those light/small packet packages would then transfer to USPS first class with full tracking visibility.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@dmil8030 wrote:

............... but if there was at least an 'entry scan' of some sort at postal outlets to show it got into the system even if an item is not

worth tracking after that.  

I would think that the days of tracked vs. untracked packages are close to an end.

It takes a second to scan and added charges for that simple swipe are not justifiable.

In the times we live in there is no excuse for charging extra for that service and there is also no excuse for not scanning each and every parcel in and out of the PO.

It shouldn't be optional.

It should be an integral part of the service.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply