eBay has item marked as payment received, PayPal says 'Do Not Ship'

Here's the message that we are getting when looking at the customers payment in PayPal.

"We've temporarily put this payment on hold while we verify that it complies with regulatory requirements. We'll contact you about this within 24-72 hours."

It's been longer than 72hrs, so I do not know what the issue is. Perhaps calling PayPal would be a route to investigate.

Meanwhile, eBay marked the order as Payment received immediately.  So I assume that this will count against us in terms of handling time.  Furthermore, the customer is wondering why we haven't shipped.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them before?  Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I would phone PayPal and see if they can give you any more insight.

I would also explain the situation to your buyer so they understand what's going on, and it might be best to include the screenshot so they see what you are seeing. Make sure to update them after you talk to eBay.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Yes, we've been in communication with the customer and their initial response was something along the lines of 'I should call PayPal and see why this keeps happening to me' which raised some red alarms on our end.  But that was five days ago, and they're getting a little irate. 

And if it wasn't for the fact that eBay thinks that it's been paid for, I would normally assume that the buyer was using someone elses credit etc. etc. that triggered the PayPal review. 

The buyer sent a screenshot from their bank however showing that the payment has gone through, so we'll be calling PayPal to see what's happening with the hold. 

Thanks for your response. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

From his bank?

He paid with an e-cheque, and Paypal is waiting for it to clear his bank. Paypal's bank and, I think the Canadian banking system before they will release the money.

Usually this takes about a week (5 business days) but it has been know to take nearly 10 calendar days.

If your customer is saying this 'keeps happening" that's why. It's a little faster if both buyer and seller are in the USA (only one banking system) slower if they are in different countries.

When this is over, suggest politely that the problems the customer is having would be over if he just attached a credit card to his Paypal account.

But not till it's over, because people get testy receiving financial advice from well-meaning strangers.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

That isn't the message a seller gets for an echeque so that probably isn't the problem. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

We've had many people in the past pay by e-cheque, but eBay has never marked the item is payment received until the money has cleared. 

The customer suggested that they would call PayPal yesterday afternoon, but has not gotten back to us.  It's pretty strange.  We'll have to call them ourselves if nothing changes.  Thanks for your thoughts so far. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply