Shippo versus PayPal"? Which one is costs less to use

Today we were invited by eBay to try the new shipping service SHIPPO and am wondering what others who have used this service think of it  and how the costs of using it compare to what it costs us to use Paypal.

From what I can find the SHIPPO service charges 5 cents for each label that you print

Whereas Paypal and CanadaPOST have teamed up and are offering 35% off of their published rate.

I did a test and found that if I print a shipping label from our location to anywhere in Toronto for a 1LB 9x6x3 box the and ship it using Expedite Parcel that the cost comes to $8.95

Versus shipping to the same location but logging directly into my Paypal account and then click on the ACTIVITY tab and then click on the PRINT SHIPPING LABEL tab and then entering the same information I get a total cost of $8.36

So by bypassing ebay and logging directly into my Paypal account I saved 59 cents on one parcel and it costs me nothing.

The tracking number was also automatically upload to the eBay transaction page so that was a bonus.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Very unsuccessful. Tried to register, result -   "Unexpected response error"

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

PayPal uses whatever discount rate your Canada Post (Solutions for Small Business (Venture One) / commercial contract) gives you. PayPal is not involved with the discount you get, they just handle the paperwork

Until July 31 you get an extra 15% off Expedited parcel in Canada when buying from Canada Post directly through PayPal.

Price comparisons:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/The-Canada-Post-ebay-paypal-shipping-shell-game/m-p/37587...

-..-

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

@futuretech_liquidations wrote:

Today we were invited by eBay to try the new shipping service SHIPPO and am wondering what others who have used this service think of it  and how the costs of using it compare to what it costs us to use Paypal.

From what I can find the SHIPPO service charges 5 cents for each label that you print

Whereas Paypal and CanadaPOST have teamed up and are offering 35% off of their published rate.

I did a test and found that if I print a shipping label from our location to anywhere in Toronto for a 1LB 9x6x3 box the and ship it using Expedite Parcel that the cost comes to $8.95

Versus shipping to the same location but logging directly into my Paypal account and then click on the ACTIVITY tab and then click on the PRINT SHIPPING LABEL tab and then entering the same information I get a total cost of $8.36

So by bypassing ebay and logging directly into my Paypal account I saved 59 cents on one parcel and it costs me nothing.

The tracking number was also automatically upload to the eBay transaction page so that was a bonus.

Hi @futuretech_liquidations,

Just wanted to clarify a couple of points on the pricing on Shippo.  Assuming that sellers correctly link their account to Shippo, as outlined in the email communication that was recently sent to some sellers:

1) The 5 cent label cost:

- is not charged to the seller on any eBay transaction.  This charge will be applied if you print a label for transactions that happen on any other marketplace outside of eBay.

2) Canada Post rates:

- should be the same when sellers print labels on either Shippo or PayPal (using the eBay "Print shipping label" flow), aside from Light Packet & Small Packet (as outlined in our announcement last week).  eBay-negotiated rates are offered on both platforms.

- will be different if sellers go directly to PayPal to print labels.  PayPal has negotiated different rates with Canada Post, which are offered when sellers don't use the eBay "Print shipping label" flow to get to PayPal.  Note that PayPal is offering up to xx% off of the Canada Post published rate, but that discount varies by volume.  With 1 or 2 exceptions due to current promo activity, the eBay negotiated rates are currently equal or better than the PayPal offering at the moment.

- if your account is connected to Shippo, but you have not completed the full registration flow from eBay (as outlined in the email) you might be seeing standard Canada Post rates which do not reflect the eBay discount.  

If you are unsure if you have correctly connected your account to Shippo, please return to the email and click the link to Get started, and you should be put in the right place in the Shippo registration flow to complete the linkage of your account.  

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any further issues.

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

@goldnideas wrote:

Very unsuccessful. Tried to register, result -   "Unexpected response error"

Hi @goldnideas,

Sorry to hear you had issues with the connection to Shippo.  Have you managed to connect your account properly now?  If not, let me know and I will see what I can do to help get this sorted out.  If you are using a different eBay id to connect your account, and don't want to share that info publicly, feel free to message me to give more details.

Thanks - I hope we can get you started on Shippo soon!

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

@qottie wrote:
- should be the same when sellers print labels on either Shippo or PayPal (using the eBay "Print shipping label" flow), aside from Light Packet & Small Packet (as outlined in our announcement last week).  eBay-negotiated rates are offered on both platforms.

Really BAD news!! Just shipped a package today to France. Small Packet Air Mail was CAD $19.75 whereas Light Packet was only $13.27. A VERY big difference! And even if we get 25% off, it won't even compare! Woman Mad

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

Small Packet Air Mail was CAD $19.75 whereas Light Packet was only $13.27. 

Is it because your package landed within that 251-300g weight?

Small packet air for under 500g to France would be $19.75, while light packet for under 300g to France would be $13.46 (I'm guessing you got $13.27 because of a small small business discount or something?)

Please feel free to check out the table I made earlier this year for postage breakdown for each weight class. 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/2017-Canada-Post-rates-chart-under-2kg/td-p/363803

I printed a label via Snap Ship on Canada Post yesterday, with the 15% and small business discount I was able to mail my 241g package via small packet air for $8.59 CAD (original small packet air price $10.27) to Switzerland.

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Yes, it was weighting 255 grams. And you're right, it was $13.46. I had the pennies mixed up with the $10.27 😉  I could not use Snap Ship this time, because I was lazy and did not want to use my credit card. I really wish Canada Post would accept PayPal as a form of payment!

Edit: I just thought that Snap Ship would not have been helpful anyway, because they don't have Light Packet.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

Yes, it was weighting 255 grams. And you're right, it was $13.46. I had the pennies mixed up with the $10.27 😉  I could not use Snap Ship this time, because I was lazy and did not want to use my credit card. I really wish Canada Post would accept PayPal as a form of payment!

Edit: I just thought that Snap Ship would not have been helpful anyway, because they don't have Light Packet.

Untested (my sales have dried up this week) for eBay linking through Shippo.

But if there actually is 25% off Small Packet through Shippo, then Light Packet will be still be a better deal for 251-300g size packages. Too bad it will no longer be an online choice.

To the UK (zone 2)

000-250g ..   7.71 .. Small packet (air) with a 25% discount

000-200g .. 10.10 .. Light Packet
000-250g .. 10.27 .. Small packet (air)

201-300g .. 13.46 .. Light Packet

251-500g .. 14.82 .. Small packet (air) with a 25% discount
251-500g .. 19.75 .. Small packet (air)
301-500g .. 24.57 .. Light Packet

However, Snap Ship currently has 15% off until the end of July, so that 19.75 Small Packet would have been 16.79 using a credit card.

-..-

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

HI @lady.stark,

I wanted to point out that with Shippo you will be able to use PayPal to pay for your Canada Post shipping, which is a huge advantage for eBay sellers.  I also wanted to point out that you can still buy Light Packet at Canada Post retail outlets, you just will not be able to do so online via either Snap Ship, PayPal, or Shippo.  Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

When I first tried using Shippo, I misunderstood and thought that it wanted to charge me more for my shipping label than Paypal would've. But then I realized it was simply displaying the shipping cost from my Ebay listing. When I actually went to print the label from Shippo, it gave me the correct discount for Small Packet that was mentioned in the email.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

@qottie wrote:

I also wanted to point out that you can still buy Light Packet at Canada Post retail outlets, you just will not be able to do so online via either Snap Ship, PayPal, or Shippo.  Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, no, it doesn't help. Printing online was a big advantage. Now I will have to spend time going to the Post Office. Another BAD change that makes me rethink my place here as a seller. Time will tell. 😞

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@qottie wrote:

I also wanted to point out that you can still buy Light Packet at Canada Post retail outlets, you just will not be able to do so online via either Snap Ship, PayPal, or Shippo.  Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, no, it doesn't help. Printing online was a big advantage. Now I will have to spend time going to the Post Office. Another BAD change that makes me rethink my place here as a seller. Time will tell. 😞

You should check to see if you can trim your 251-300g light packet weights down to 250g for the small packet discounted rate.

Shipping weight is one thing I keep in mind when putting up a new listing (particularly when aiming at the International marketplace).  For example if one item is 260g shipped, then doing a bundle of two items at 450g shipped is an option I'll consider.

YMMV

-.-

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

It could be an option for some sellers, but not applicable to me. I sell photos, magazines, clippings, posters, etc. Some items weight more than others. Usually, customers do not want to pay shipping for 2 magazines if just one interests them.

Last package I sent that needed to be shipped Light Packet and fell into the 250-300 gram category was a combined order of 1 magazine + 2 posters. The magazine alone would have been shipped by Small Packets, but with the 2 posters, the weight increased to 255 grams.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@qottie wrote:

I wanted to point out that with Shippo you will be able to use PayPal to pay for your Canada Post shipping, which is a huge advantage for eBay sellers.  I also wanted to point out that you can still buy Light Packet at Canada Post retail outlets, you just will not be able to do so online via either Snap Ship, PayPal, or Shippo.  Hope this helps.

Not sure if you can comment on this Qottie, but with the UPU's 2018 restructuring of the packet weight ranges that can be used to send physical goods is there any likelihood that light packet will continue in 2018? The UPU integrated product plan indicates the 0-500 gram weight range will only be usable for documents.  

Message 15 of 37
latest reply

I've been asking myself the same question after CP has raised Light Packet so much over the last few years.

If it is eliminated, it would kill a lot of on line business from Canada for sure due to the increased shipping costs again.

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

qottie - "...With 1 or 2 exceptions due to current promo activity, the eBay negotiated rates are currently equal or better than the PayPal offering at the moment."

This is kind of fun.

Until almost two years ago, eBay owned and controlled PayPal.  They did for thirteen years.

Now... they are competing against each other for our mailing business! 

I wish I were still in business and I would go compete with both you guys and offer still lower prices to Canadian sellers for their postage needs!!!! (as long as sellers are willing to lick a few stamps on the packages!) Smiley Happy

Oh well, life does go on.  Back to my Lazyboy

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I've been asking myself the same question after CP has raised Light Packet so much over the last few years.

If it is eliminated, it would kill a lot of on line business from Canada for sure due to the increased shipping costs again.

There's been a push to get countries to transition to the Prime Post Expres program (our tracked packet, USPS e-delcon, etc) for physical goods, but the upcoming UPU changes specifically carves out/leaves a place for 0-2kg packets for physical goods to service the ecommerce market. Given that and the other changes it would make sense for light and small packet to merge. What that means for pricing remains to be seen. Hopefully not too much of an impact.

With respect to cost there's been a lot of talk around terminal dues and getting those to more realistically represent the cost of delivery, but that has been more in the context of export heavy countries like China that enjoy artificial subsidies due to their UPU classification as a developing country.

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

On Wednesday I printed off two light Pkt labels by going through eBay Print Shipping Label and PayPal. I did notice that I had to exit and start over in order to get light Pkt to show up as a choice on PayPal for the 2nd label. Maybe something has changed since two days ago though?

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

Light packet is still available if you go through eBay but once eBay starts using Shippo instead of PayPal, light packet won't be available online.

Message 20 of 37
latest reply