Scammed -'item not as described'

More time wasting but i have to do it.

I sent a bundle of expensive collectors items - exactly as described. I do not accept returns.

There were Multiple bidders.

Winner receives item, claims it is not as described (DSLR pictures in my listing disprove his outlandish claims)

He attaches pictures of himself using harsh chemicals and damaging the items.

I respond immediately, eventually offering a small discount since to try to diffuse the situation.

Ends up in dispute resolution where ebay doesnt even bother looking at the pictures and evidence even after appeal (been told this by several ebay service reps now including a 'manager'). Basically, As the seller of collectors items I've been taking care of for 20 years, I was supposed to send the scammer a return label immediately and ignore the damage he would have done etc. 

This makes absolutely no sense to me,  the 'buyer' wasn't even challenged by ebay about his claim 'not as described'  I just cannot believe this decision is standing. Ebay has given the funds back to the scammer and He also keeps the items, What's worse is every phone call i make to ebay I'm told this is the policy. 

I will have Justice.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

First I am convinced that a No Returns policy leads to more Not As Described claims since the buyer may feel that a discussion of problems will lead no where.

No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

What was the result of your No Returns policy?

You are out both items and payment. The buyer has damaged items (by his own actions, but still.)

A better response would have been "I regret you are unhappy with your purchase, please return it for a refund."

And that means the entire purchase, no cherry picking.

You will probably have to pay for return shipping, but that will cost less than what you lost.

And is tax deductible.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

We see this exact same situation happening once in a while. It's always the same pattern, a seller who did not read rules and assume their own judgment bypass rules. Sorry if it's rude but this is not how it works. You must accept INAD returns.  It's part of the ebay money back guarantee. This is after that you can fight or report the case once you inspected the order. It's unfortunate but it's a mistake from unexperience.

It's all described in rules: 

The buyer received the wrong item, it arrived damaged, or it doesn't match the listing description

If a buyer received the wrong item, it arrived damaged, or it doesn't match the listing description the purchase is covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy, they can return it to you, even if your return policy states that you don't accept returns.

If you don't respond to the return request, we may refund the buyer and seek reimbursement from you, without requiring the buyer to send the item back.

Here are your response options:

Accept the return: The buyer will send the item back to you for a full refund, including the original shipping cost. You'll also be responsible for covering return shipping costs. If the item is returned used or damaged, you may qualify to deduct an amount from the buyer's refund to cover the loss in the item's value.

eBay may automatically accept a return from a buyer on your behalf if an eBay shipping label is available. Once you've received the item, you have 2 business days to review and issue a refund, or ask eBay to step in and help. 

How to accept a return

Give a full refund: You'll issue a full refund to the buyer, including original shipping costs, and they'll keep the item. This is a good option for low-value items.

How to issue a refund

Offer a partial refund: You'll issue a partial refund to the buyer, and they'll keep the item. This can be useful when the buyer isn't completely satisfied with their purchase. For example, if an item arrived with a minor scratch, but the buyer is happy to keep it.

How to issue a partial refund

Send the buyer a message: If you have any questions regarding the buyer's request, you can contact them directly. 

How to send the buyer a message

Offer a replacement or exchange: You may offer a replacement (another of the same item) or exchange (a different, but similar item) instead of a return.

How to offer a replacement or exchange  

If you respond to the request but don't come to an agreement with the buyer after 3 business days, you or the buyer can ask us to step in and help.

If we step in to help, we'll ask the buyer to return the item to you. If the item is returned used or damaged, you will no longer be able to deduct from the buyer's refund to cover the loss in value.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for nothing to both of you honestly.

Insane that you would support such behavior. Buyer has remorse for having outbid everyone, instead of having the courtesy to message the seller in advance asking to cancel the order and offer to second highest bidder considers it just as simple to say whatever crazy thing he decides to go with upon receiving the items  (in my case provably false from my own  and HIS OWN pictures upon receiving the items, plainly viewable by any one who would have bothered to look) Buyer proceeds to damage the collectors items and I'm then supposed to accept his return.  completely stupid policy and only possible due to completely stupid people supporting AND DEFENDING it even! 

I did NOT want to recieve ANY package back from a random internet psychopath who wrote me schizophrenic emails about 'problems' with the order.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Those emails-- I assume they were eBay Messages since that is the only contact information a buyer should have with a seller-- may be your out.

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Write out step by step what happened , with names and dates, and post that to a Chat.

FaceBook seems to be the most reliable.

And go on from there.

We are members like yourself (it's Sunday evening, who else would be hanging about here at this hour?) and can only point out what may have gone wrong and how you can perhaps correct it.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I do not support any fraud behaviour, i explained you how the system works and that you had to accept the return. Fraud cases are to fight after. Everything you write is based on assumptions and a personal perspective. It's simple: 

If a buyer received the wrong item, it arrived damaged, or it doesn't match the listing description the purchase is covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy, they can return it to you, even if your return policy states that you don't accept returns.

If you don't respond to the return request, we may refund the buyer and seek reimbursement from you, without requiring the buyer to send the item back.

The fact you did not read rules before selling and still don't care after someone share them to you, unfortunately your behavior kinda prove you're a problematic seller. You are not over the system. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

It is frustrating when situations like that happen but fortunately, most buyers are good to work with.  Many years ago ebay would sometimes look at 'evidence' when a seller challenged a not as described return and rule in the sellers favour but that changed quite a while ago.  

The problem is that eBay doesn't handle the merchandise so  has no way of knowing what the seller sent, how it was packaged or what the buyer received so it was a 'he said she said' situation. Then EBay changed its policy and in almost all cases they expect sellers to accept not as described returns, pay for  return shipping and then refund on return.  A no returns policy means that the seller does not have to accept buyers remorse returns but they still have to refund when the buyer claims not as described.

If a seller is top rated and accepts returns, they may be allowed to withhold part of the refund if the item is returned in a different condition.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

" Everything you write is based on assumptions and a personal perspective"

No there's photographic evidence from both parties.

The email trail is there for all to see.

etc etc 

thank anyways

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

You say ''he attaches pictures of himself using harsh chemicals and damaging the items'', like it's a video. Sounds like you see products in the background or around and assume, it's literally an assumption. Not sure how you can see the buyer ''using chemicals'' and ''damaging the items'' in a photo. It's not evidences, objectively it's assumptions. Anyway in all cases you had to accept return and then make a report once returned if received in different condition than sold. Then you could have win your case or not have to fully refund. This is how the system works. You asked ebay to step in and make assumptions, they'll aways side with buyer. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Returns are not refunds.

A seller does not have to accept returns.

A seller does have to make refunds.

A seller with a No Returns policy still has to refund, even if the buyer keeps (or donates or destroys) the disputed item.

A seller with a No Returns policy can demand the return of the disputed item, although they are likely to be required to pay tracked return shipping. The seller will be required to refund when the return arrives.

A buyer can pay to return an item, whether or not the seller allows returns. The seller does not have to refund the return shipping cost. The seller does have to refund.

I'm a retired editor and these are two different words and two different situations.

A seller never has to accept returns.

A seller does have to make refunds.

Note that the words are not even spelled alike.

/rant.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

no lol  i don't assume from what he has displayed in the background, he literally describes in english his whole process in the email and shows before and after his process pictures, ruins the collectibles. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Feels like language is a tool most aren't fit for anymore. Logic is out the door and we are all just meat in the grinder lol

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

What if buyer provides picture they took of item that they say is  item not as described..and they say the color is not  as described ..which was green and only green..and infact the picture they took is clear as day same as what is in listing..that being a green rock cut slab..it is exavtly like its descrition..could not be more accurrate...i got a negative also saying this.i offered a return in the begining..but he ignored it and opened case and left neg...he is nasty rude

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Outdated ZOMBIE Thread from 07-24-2023 12:54 PM

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for your understanding!

Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 15 of 15
latest reply