Arctic sea ice hits lowest extent ever

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/08/29/arctic-sea-ice-record-low-nsidc.html

It started looking like this was coming sometime in July.

The story is attracting massive commenting on CBC, running about 10-1 in favour of recognizing the role we humans play in global warming.

Very interesting info at the National Snow and Ice Data Center.

Now they're saying in some circles that the hope of holding global temperature increase to two degrees (over what timeframe I forget) is basically slim to none.

Just the fact that the six last years are the six lowest Arctic ice years by a long shot is mind-blowing. For such an occurrence to be a random accident it would be like the same person winning the lottery six years in a row. For it to be something like "the end of the ice age" (or a "cycle") as some numbskulls propose, it would be like a mile-long freight train stopping on a dime and zipping into reverse as fast as the engineer could say "roger".

The alternative explanations are becoming downright farcical. Scarcely a snowflake of plausibility in the deniers' playbook now.

Article in the latest National Geographic going in depth into extreme weather phenomena.

Quite possibly before all is said and done, oil company execs and lobbiests may be held to account over all their lies, disinformation and misinformation, just as the tobacco industry has had to face a number of billion-dollar suits and payouts because of their lies.

I'm just afraid it will be too late.

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

valve37
Community Member

It's your time Art to set an example on the board by abandoning all products, services, comdustion engines and anything else that requires the use of fossil fuels.

See you in the bush, bring your bow and arrow.:-D 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 2 of 67
latest reply

I see he still doesn't care about the now, or the future people and children of the world.

But I suppose it needn't matter, he'll be a fossil himself. Which makes me wonder why so many existing fossils support dead fossils.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 67
latest reply

valve37
Community Member

Ozone hole caused by cold weather!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2089537/Ozone-hole-Arctic-actually-caused-COLD-weathe...

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 4 of 67
latest reply

Upon reading this grim news I put an extra ice cube tray in the freezer tonight.

Message 5 of 67
latest reply

my_igloo_is_melting
Community Member

An aspect that is under-reported is that temperature rise is double in the north. The north is warming and thawing faster than they are reporting. There is more methane stored in the melting tundra than all the cows in Brazil could ever hope to produce.

Another under reported aspect is that the earth is in a cool phase. We have been much hotter, for much longer, in the past. Looking at the above graph, much hotter is a whole lot more "normal" than what we have now.

The volume of ice in the Greenland sheet is estimated to be about 2,600,000 cubic kilometers -- enough ice to raise sea levels by 6.4 meters if it all were to melt.

The Antarctic has seven (7) times more ice.

You've forgotten more than you will ever know. My MIL
Message 6 of 67
latest reply

yeah, that's for sure igloo.

even in southern Canada, which isn't exactly "north" we can easily see the effects of global warming.

Out of the last three years we've barely had winter at all.

Two years ago (10/11) maybe a bit.

The methane gas situation is almost too scary. Most including me don't even want to think about it. You mention the huge amounts stored in tundra. I think I read that the quantities locked in ice on the ocean floor on the arctic siberian shelf are vaster than anything. Probably game changing and in imminent danger of starting to escape.

Many of these dominos are already falling and some may say what's the use of doing anything. But it stands to reason that any action we take will have a positive effect.

Valve's post I've got no clue what it has to do with the op. If you read the article carefully though you see right away it was intentionally intended to mislead, even thgough it's on a different topic. In it says, "in cold winters the stratosphere tends to cool". Duh.

pd though I can sympathize with. Yer gonna need all your drinking paraphernalia kept in good order at all times.

Message 7 of 67
latest reply

valve37
Community Member

Climate change, been going on for billions of years. In humans infinitesimal blip in time here there is nothing we can do to change the course of change except adapt.

CO² - Carbon is the element of life and oxygen maintains life. 

Message 8 of 67
latest reply

And he also believes in creationism and Adam and Eve and a snake tempted Eve and she did a naughty thing that some invisible god has had us pay for since the ‘garden event’…..but ………he loves us.

And he believes the earth is only 6 to 10 thousand years old and  Dinosaurs were all lead two by two onto Noah’s love boat.

And he also believes in Jerry Falwell who has said:.....

"I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them."

and.......

Falwell was published in the National Liberty Journal – a promotional publication of the university he founded – claimed that the Teletubby named Tinky Winky was intended as a gay role model.

and......

Falwell called Islam "satanic”.

and......

In 1999, Falwell declared the Antichrist would probably arrive within a decade and "Of course he'll be Jewish."

I could go on...... but it’s too depressing.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 67
latest reply

Masses of human lemmings subscribing ( and succumbing) to a panic attack caused by doom & gloom scenarios is what keeps enviro-nuts like Al Gore and David Suzuki living the good life.

Anyone recollect the furor over invasive species like zebra mussels and purple loosestife spreading unchecked and creating carnage?  Kudzu vines and killer bees?  Fire ants and em emerald ash borer?  The horror.

Life goes on.  Make a conscious effort to stop hyperventilating by controlling your breathing.   

Message 10 of 67
latest reply

And he forgot....just ignore the scientific evidence as well as what the eye can see and decipher with logic.

To them it's just take another blue pill.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 67
latest reply

Three weeks after setting a new all-time low - the extent of ice in the Arctic has continued to drop - right up to and including today.

Probably the one thing that for sure should be being done that is not, is that the study of the situation - both of the Arctic ice disappearance and of human causes of global warming - should be studied maybe ten-fold maybe a hundred-fold more than they presently.

Science - I know it flows against the Conservative current - but we obviously need some more indisputable information about global warming.

Message 12 of 67
latest reply

The Science of ice melting is pretty much a given, Art.  Above a certain teperature, it's just gonna happen.

Message 13 of 67
latest reply

valve37
Community Member

The Science of ice melting is pretty much a given, Art.  Above a certain teperature, it's just gonna happen.

Relax Art. Historically shown trend, always less Artic ice cap in Sep. Happens in the reverse time period in the Antartic. The two just change places establishing a world climate equilibrium.

Message 14 of 67
latest reply

They also believe the world is only 6000 years old and all scientific evidence to the contrary is bogus.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 67
latest reply

Widespread effects...........

“This is of concern since methane is a much more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2. The take-home message here is that our CO2-enhanced warming of the Arctic could lead to much more warming globally, as the amount of methane emission to the atmosphere increases.”

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/09/13/f-franklin-arctic-ice-retreat.html 

But the little duck hunter believes in Jerry Falwell and what he said about global warming.......... ''Global warming is a "myth" and "Satan's attempt to redirect the church's primary focus" from evangelism to environmentalism.''

Photobucket
Message 17 of 67
latest reply

Artic sea has been growing…….. article from April 4th 2010…..2 ½ years out of date.

“They could be made to accept the most flagrant violations of reality, because they never fully grasped the enormity of what was demanded of them, and were not sufficiently interested in public events to notice what was happening.”

George Orwell

Photobucket
Message 18 of 67
latest reply

I think April 2010 might have been that one time in the past 10 years or so  that the ice extent in the Arctic actually approached average levels...

...spawning blaring headlines on Fox News and all the right-wing trash sites and supplying bs for the gullible to google for years to come...

It was pretty amazing to see the ecstatic reaction of deniers over what amounted to just a few days really of slight delay in spring melting that year due to specific weather patterns.

pd - here is one of the miracles of science - prepare to be amazed:

When comparing the extent of ice in the Arctic, or other places for that matter, there is an amazing technology known as a "calendar" that literally allows scientists to record the amount of ice detected on a certain date - and then compare it with the same date of other years!

The calandar technology thus allows "September" (a month) ice levels to be compared to "September" levels of previious years. With further refinement possible by dividing of the months into units of  "days", which are assigned consecutive numbers!

In many years, the lowest point of ice extent is reached early in September - this year it has continued to shrink right up to Sept 16, which is significant when you consider that the lowest ever ice level had already been reached weeks earlier.

Message 19 of 67
latest reply

valve37
Community Member

Art I'll give you this. It was a very hot summer here in Southern Ontario. Even ducks sought shade!

Message 20 of 67
latest reply