Canadian Sellers hurt by new Top Seller program

I am a Canadian seller with less than 100 sales to a US buyer in the last 12 months, however, I am way over the $3000 minimum transaction activity dollar value. My total sales are over $30,000 for the last 12 months, and likely close to 200 transactions overall. I actually need to run some paypal reports to work out the numbers, but I did glance quikly at my new seller dashboard.

With the new Top Seller program, I will not qualify to have the Top Seller icon in my listing on eBay.com

In April, I will be able to have it display on eBay.ca

But here's the rub, not all Canadians buy on eBay.ca anyway, many use eBay.com. So, the new system will even hurt my Canadian sales potentially.

Plus, I will lose the opportunity to earn the full 20% final value fee discount on the sales I do make to US customers, further hurting my overall eBay revenue

A seller with $3000 activity has the chance for a higher standing than myself with 10x the sales volume in $$, and likely just as many or more transactions between Canada and the USA

I'm not at all happy with this obviously, and I have asked eBay to respond directly. I will escalate this as required, because I think there has been a serious overlooking on how this whole Top Seller change will play out.

Other related issues:

When you offer FREE shipping, why is it that the buyer can still rate you on shipping charges?

When an accidental negative feedback is left (I had one that was fixed), do the DSR ALSO get changed? (I suspect not, as I have one '1' in each category.)

My feedback and DSR is all well above eBa averages, why am I being penalized by these changes?

Disgruntled in Canada
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

"And the new system will even hurt my Canadian sales"

You have raised the same qurestion on the "selling on eBay" board and I will give you the same answer:

I do not see why it would unless you are assuming the "top seller" icon will bring extra sales. I think not.

Folks buy your "stuff" because they need it, the price and terms are right and your reputation is not tarnished.

The "top seller" icon may be viewed by some like the "powerseller" icon. Many do not want it. I have been a powerseller continuously for nearly eleven years and my listings do not show the icon. Like many others sellers, I see a risk some buyers - right or wrong - prefer not to buy from powersellers.

There are many things to worry about when selling on eBay. That icon should not be one of them. Buyers will NOT care.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

It's interesting how many sellers think the status means nothing. You'd think eBay would have done some research and determined that it does make a difference somehow? Tying in the new changes with the new way DSR affect your ranking is a BIG change, so I'll be interested to see if these opinions change as the outcome is realized.

The other issue to consider is losing some of the rebate on the FVF. No, I don't depend on that to be profirable, but it's a substantial amount. My items are ALL $159.95 USD and up.

Any solace I guess for me, is that most buyers in the two threads (one for power sellers only) don;t sem to think it will matter for my sales at all. But eBay clearly says you listings will be ranked LOWER than other sellers with the Top Seller status, and if that pushes me to page two, then I can't see how it won't be hurting me. Regardless of how buyers view the icon, being on page two all the time can't be a good thing.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

"being on page two all the time can't be a good thing."

How do potential buyers look for your item at this time? What word(s) do they use in Search to find you? How many other items are offered by eBay as a result?
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

As long as a buyer doesn't click on 'show only listings from TRS', I actually still have listings on eBay.com on the first page.

If they click that, even if they are a Canadian buyer, I'm gone altogether.

Not happy at all, and this is not right.

Top DSR scores, $33,000 in sales and 100% positive feedback on hundreds of transactions... and I'm getting the boot.

The issue for me hinges on whether Canadian buyers go to eBay.com as much as I think they do, versus eBay.ca
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

"Not happy at all, and this is not right. "

So eBay created a new category "Top Rated Sellers" for those with superior service, fewer dissatisfied customers and a minimum of two sales per week on average in the domestic market (USA).

Those are their rules. They require someone to sell a minimum of two items a week (on average) to get the designation ot Top Rated Seller and privileges attached to it. It is their playground.

Make the rules work for you. Get a minimum of two sales per week in the domestic US market. If the TRS is important to you and your business, getting two sales per week should not be that hard.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

You are not getting the point. You just agreed in the other thread that Canadian buyers use eBay.com more than eBay.ca

I have more than 100 sales. I am a current Power Seller with high DSR ratings.

But a Canadian buyer looking for my listings as a Canadian seller on eBay.com is going to have more trouble finding my listings.

My October sales are already down.

This aspect of the new TRS program is unfair.

No amount of telling me to sell 2 items a week to US customers is going to change this. I may consider selling some cheap crap at a loss just to qualify, but this isn't right.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I do get the point.

Canadians buy mostly on eBay.com and the new TRS program requires an average of two sales per week to be considered.

All you have to do is meet that criteria: two sales per week. I find it is a reasonable request from eBay to set a minumum of two sales per week in their domestic (US) market to qualify as "top seller."

"selling some cheap crap "

There is no need to sell cheap crap. All you need is to increase your sales level to the USA to two sales per week on average.

Why sell crap? Is there not something you can sell to the US marklet at the rate of one a week? (if you use the five monthly "free auctions" offered by eBay, you will have no listing fees!)
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I love the new TRS programme,

I am a Canadian Seller, selling on eBay.ca

I have never listed on eBay.com and since that little ribbon has appeared on my listings, I have been pretty busy.

The last 3 months have been very dismal for sales, the worse since I started selling here, but since the TRS programme was introduced my sales have soared.

So whatever any of you say, that little ribbon that shows up on my listings, seems to make a difference, especially in our type of sales.

By the way, I am a low volume seller......but customer service is my priority
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

> I do get the point.
>
> Canadians buy mostly on eBay.com and the new TRS program requires an average of two sales per week to be considered.

That's two sales to US buyers. Key point. But we're talking about Canadians buying from Canadians on eBay.com
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

How are folks fairing nearly one month in?
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

My sales are up a bit - not a TRS.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Auctionbytes did a survey about sellers' reaction to the TRS initiative - of course, I can't find it, but it was last week - and only 7% of non-TRS sellers reported a drop in sales, so I think the effect of the TRS is marginal.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I was not TRS and became one after review on Oct.20. The increase in sales of 8% last week can be pretty much a regular fluctuation as our week-to-week sales vary +-10% or more.

I suspect the reason is that we have been pretty aggressive in our marketing already, and the visibility boost will be mainly felt by folks who have been sitting around waiting for buyers to find them (e.g. basic store, no auctions, no free shipping listings, no sales, no discounts, etc).
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

the visibility boost will be mainly felt by folks who have been sitting around waiting for buyers to find them

Yup - agree with that.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

ameroindustries
Community Member
I wish i had TRS .. I really could care less about most of the crap with it the only thing i miss are the Featured Listings ... I LOVE featured Listings .. Most of the ppl who have TRS never pay for this because there smaller sellers ..

I Really dont know why ebay took away the Featured Listings away from non trs .. it's really a stupid move i mean what was the cost for fixed price like 80 bucks er something i was glad to pay 😛

My sales are Steady .. I did lose some without featured listing For my Marijuana silver bars / Fans / Grow bags .. but i just flood the ebay with them and get the same results in the end ..except marijuana Silver bars 😞

All in all pretty Good overall Growth / pumping my margins to 80+% overall

I dont even want extra sales im so buzy 😛
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

I Really dont know why ebay took away the Featured Listings away from non trs

The seller's discussion boards might have had something to do with that.

As far back as I can remember, we've been telling sellers not to use the "extras" because, generally, they're not worth it.
Message 17 of 17
latest reply