E-bay Canada money back guarantee

The item the seller sold my friend didn't match the one on the listing description. The page for eBay Money Back Guarantee states "the buyer must ship the item back to the seller within 5 business days from when the buyer starts the return."

Does that mean the buyer needs to start shipping the item back by the item within 5 business days or does it mean that the seller must actually get back the item within 5 business days?

Further, if the seller agrees that the item can be returned within a few days more, does the 5 business day rule apply?

Thank you for your help!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: E-bay Canada money back guarantee

Forgot to add: there is a disagreement because seller refuses to refund return shipping despite very inaccurate listing.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Did you actually file a claim with eBay through the Resolution Centre?

If not, do so today.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. The answer is "sort of" - my friend filed the return request but isn't able to escalate it to a claim in the eBay Resolution Center until tomorrow.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

So have your friend escalate the claim tomorrow or the following day.  Do not delay.

There is no point in communicating further with the seller at this stage.  Let eBay handle it.

Tell your friend NOT to post feedback until the problem is totally resolved.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

the buyer needs to start shipping the item back by the item within 5 business days

This^

Use Confirmation of Delivery, otherwise you cannot prove you have returned the item and will lose the Return case.

If the seller is not in Canada, you will pay your own return shipping. The seller may or may not refund this.

The seller cannot send you a shipping label internationally. EBay will tell you different, but ask the rep the name of the capital of Canada. He doesn't understand about the Universal Postal Union either.

Return shipping is expensive.

Don't leave feedback (and Detailed Seller Ratings) until you have completed the return and been refunded.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thank you both for the helpful suggestions.

My friend will definitely use delivery confirmation and wait before giving feedback.

Should I advise my friend to start shipping the item back right away or would it be better for my friend to escalate the claim tomorrow, before shipping it?

And is it true that eBay will resolve the case for you immediately if you escalate the claim via phone?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

"Should I advise my friend to start shipping the item back right away"

No.  Wait for instructions from eBay.  It is possible eBay will require the seller to pay for the shipping charge.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Sorry for the late reply!

Thanks for the advice! - my friend ended up not having to ship back the item because the seller refused to provide a return shipping label even when requested by eBay.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Was the seller overseas, Canada, the U.S.?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

The seller was also from Canada. He accepted the Return Request for the Item SNAD but said he would still not pay for return shipping, so my friend had to call eBay customer service for help.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if the result would be the same if the seller had been in Asia. If you post on the U.S. boards about having a seller from Asia pay return shipping for an item not as described you will likely be told that ebay will not require the seller to pay for it. But I don't know if that is truth or just an assumption and I have always been curious as to what would happen if ebay was asked to step in. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply