EBay What are you doing with sellers that sells fake items ?

Those reproduction are illegal , and being part of that kind of market is probably illegal too ... So now what are you doing with all those Sellers from Asia that sells fake items ? Why not just Banned them and refund all the customers . I place my Trust in you ... i'm waiting for a response .

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

And just how is ebay supposed to know the items are fake?  Because you said so?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

You can speculate, you could be in fact right, but unless you have some proof, eBay will not take your word for it.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/01/technology/01ebay.html?_r=0

I am just gonna contact the Moose company and see what they can do about it .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysokVrLQj98

So ...

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I guess you could report the seller though its not my style.

What i have seen over the years is that greedy sellers who usually sell counterfeit product hang themselves.

Even if their account is suspended their product finds its way to other selling sites.

The site which starts with a "K" is the new home of counterfeit product, especially in my category.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually eBay can check to see if they are fakes if the wordings came up like the brand names.  I am sure that they could have staff to check those but they choose not to because they are so greedy in getting the hefty insertion fees plus hefty final value fees on the sold items plus another hefty final value fees on the shipping costs.

Hope eBay will not win their appeal!!  They need to pay the penalty!!  Tough luck to eBay and shareholders.  That is for being so greedy and that is what they get it back with that lawsuit.  I am sure that eBay is already drowning with so many lawsuits lately.  Good riddance to eBay!!

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

EBay has two basic methods of controlling fakes.

The first is members policing the site.

You will find a Report button on every listing. You are encouraged to use this to draw eBay's attention to the problematical item.

If you are sent an item that you believe is counterfeit, you can start an Item Not Received dispute and get a refund. Unfortunately, it is often too expensive to return unwanted items to overseas sellers. Do state in the text box that you are willing to return the item to the manufacturer of the "real" product. Sometimes PP allows this. If you win the Dispute, the seller gets a note on his account. Too many of those and he is gone.

You can leave appropriate feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

You can leave Detailed Seller Ratings. The normal rating is Five Stars. The lowest is ONE star.

You can add a Response to your or the seller's feedback. Like feedback itself, the most effective responses are calm and factual

The second is the VERO program.

Members don't have much input into this, which basically is manufacturers and brands checking the site for unauthorized use of their name. Not always counterfeit, there are other situations covered too.

Contacting the brand holder through their own website, as you mention, is one way to help the companies fight copyright infringement.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually eBay can check to see if they are fakes if the wordings came up like the brand names.  I am sure that they could have staff to check those but they choose not to because they are so greedy in getting the hefty insertion fees plus hefty final value fees on the sold items plus another hefty final value fees on the shipping costs.

Hope eBay will not win their appeal!!  They need to pay the penalty!!  Tough luck to eBay and shareholders.  That is for being so greedy and that is what they get it back with that lawsuit.  I am sure that eBay is already drowning with so many lawsuits lately.  Good riddance to eBay!!

That article was from 2008 and I believe that ebay did lose.

There are currently 19,000 Louis Vuitton bags listed, 13,000 Chanel bags, 5,000 Balenciaga bags, 75,000 Coach bags....That's just a few of the bag brands that often get counterfeited. Of course there are tons of other things that can be counterfeited such as laptops, cell phones, any type of electronic item, dvd's, cd's, sports wear, designer clothing,jewelry and watches etc etc.

Do you really think that ebay stafff could check on each and every item that could possibly be counterfeited?  Even if they hired dozens of experts for every brand name and then had those experts contact every seller who sold any of those brand names...and then of course examined each item....the task would still be daunting.

While I do think that there are times when ebay could do a better job in some areas, the number of listings on the site make it impossible for them to police each and every item. As pointed out earlier..just because another ebayer tells them that so and so is selling counterfeits, how would ebay know that for sure?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I contact the company that sell those items , and i show them the page of the seller.  they responded to me quickly , and they tell me that they are trying hard to fix the problem of these kind of sellers(that sells fake items) , but it still dont give me my money back . We will see what we will do .

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Usually what happens, as reported by (probably honest) sellers who have been contacted about this, is that the trademark owner sends a lawyer's letter politely (more or less) explaining the problem, and ordering the seller to cease and desist.

This usually scares off the amateurs.

The trademark holder can move more aggressively if the situation warrants the expense.

The biggest problem is with Asian companies in countries where the "rule of law" is barely even a guideline.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

You would think, though, that if, in conjunction with the VERO program, if there are places that are rife with counterfeits, Ebay could somehow restrict those items being put up for sale. Ebay controls their own platform, and can amend their TOS as needed. However, dare I say that this would cut in to their profit margin? They could be proactive in protecting their buyers, and the reputations of their good sellers, but prefer to take a reactive, token response, singling out an individual now and then. If fake goods, like Louis V, Chanel and such are primarily coming from the Asian market, then why not restrict them from being sold from that area?

Cuppa Joe!

Rick
"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity" - Frank Leahy
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Helps to report the item to the Brand.

They will usually take action if the item is indeed counterfeit.

I would imagine eBay is inundated with the reporting of counterfeit items daily.

Some are legit, some are probably not. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

rykkm - there is a complaint on the Seller's Board about a CHLOE item that was pulled, probably through VERO. In that case the word appeared in the title although the item was not that brand. (The term was used legitimately, however)
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

With another account I tried to relist an item with wording "Bulgaria" and was told that I cannot relist it again for 30 days.  In fact this wording is just a wording which one person was wearing a Bulgaria diamond necklace, I am not selling the real thing but the eBay system don't allow me to relist it for just that wording! 

I listed it with that wording to get attention of anyone who look for Bulgaria.  I sold the photo of her wearing the Bulgaria diamond necklace for 10th time in a row and now I cannot relist it??!!  It tells you how the eBay system is in that area, yet they allow other sellers to sell the fake ones with the brand names.  Something wrong with the eBay system or how the way they deal with the brand name or whatever it is.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Actually, you're not supposed to use a brand name unless you are selling something mad by that brand. But ebay doesn't seem to worry too much about that rule.

Don't include brand names other than the specific brand name used by the company that manufactured or produced the item you're listing. This is called keyword spamming and isn't allowed on eBay. These types of listings will be ended and the insertion fee for the listing automatically credited.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/title_desc_ov.html#avoid

Message 15 of 15
latest reply