I mailed a parcel acc to the tracking number it has not been picked. Will be returned. what to do

I mailed a parcel and according to the tracking number, the parcel has not been picked up.  Canada post has attempted delivery and sent out final notice.  If the parcel is not picked up, it will be returned to me.  I am wondering what to do when/if the parcel is returned as I specified a no return policy.  Does Canada Post returning due to undeliverable classify as a return?  I have emailed the buyer 2 times asking her to pick up her parcel.  I don't know what I am able to do, do I keep her money and the parcel if returned due to not being delivered or do I refund her money minus the shipping costs.  Help please, as I am a first time seller and need the proper answers. 

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I mailed a parcel acc to the tracking number it has not been picked. Will be returned. what to do

An unclaimed item is not a return. Unclaimed items are usually returned with a return postage charge. (the cost to ship the package back to you)

Contact the buyer again and ask her what she wants to do from here. Stay professional in all communications with her. If she dosen't want to get the item reshipped you would refund her the item cost, minus the shipping cost. The return shipping cost would have to absorbed by you. Sucks, but that's the cost of doing mail order business.

If she wants you to reship it, you can ask her to pay for the shipping charge again (or you could pay, up to you) and reship it. You could also decide to just refund her and not reship due to her track record. You would have to make a business decision on this.

Whichever route you go, just remember that the buyer has the ability to leave feedback no matter what you do. With an account with a low amount of feedback (such as yours), one negative could be huge.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Ethically, you can't have both the money and the item.

On the other hand, since the buyer is not communicating, it would concern me that a refund would not find her either.

When the item gets back to you, if less than 45 days have passed, start a Mutual Cancellation request. Don't do this until you have the parcel back. If she does not agree to the MC, it will end of its own accord and you will get your fees back and can relist. You will also be able to leave feedback, but I can't see why you would.

You may have to pay a fee to Canada Post for the return package. In my opinion, if you are refunding, and don't refund until you have the package back, you would be justified in making a partial refund that does not include the shipping you paid to Canada Post and in reducing the refund of the item price by the amount you pay to Canada Post for return shipping (if any).

Either she will suddenly wake up and ask about the (now returned) package or she will stay silent. But be prepared to make that partial refund.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Ah yes, feedback. Although there can be no Disputes after 45 days, feedback can be left for 60 days. Mark your calendar.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply