If you are a new seller............

I have another blog posted here and would like to share my experience and opinion with you (for all it's worth):

Is Ebay a good place to buy/sell = I still think so but educate yourself. Read everything.

Should you ask seller central for help ? = YOU BET - Lots of great people with very important information.

Is the seller * solely * responsible to ensure goods arrive at destination = YES (See Ebay rules)

Should the seller make sure they are covered for insurance in case of loss = YES ( if not , you lose)

Ship quickly,pack well,communicate with buyers = Definitely

Avoid  selling to certain countries : Most important = see exclusion list by country (I have an extensive list , which cut down dramatically unpaid or never received items etc....). It has not lowered my sales and solved a lot of headaches.

Have clear pictures with accurate description on listing = No brainer

Make sure you know the Ebay , Paypal and shipping fees = Absolutely

Have I personally had any bad experiences on Ebay = Luckily , only 3 in ten years. I still believe most buyers are honest.

Should I offer buyers mailing options: according to most people in this group , the answer is NO , as it raises red flags. (I'm still thinking about that one)

But be prepared:

Ebay ( and other mail order sites) are totally Buyer oriented , which firmly places the sellers at the mercy of scammers and dishonest people who know the Ebay rules and take advantage of them , without giving the seller any way out.

My Fantasy:

Ebay changes their present seller policy rules to allow the seller to give options. Then , if a buyer reads your clearly stated options or shipping charges or anything else , they would either accept them or buy from someone else , and the seller should be happy that they do not have to take all the responsibility.

Guess what:   Not going to happen..... so we must accept the status quo or move to Hawaii into an old sugar shack and become a beach bum.  That actually does'nt sound that bad.

Thank you all for your indulgence and do please comment on anything I may have missed or misinterpreted here and/or add information for newbie sellers.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I agree with most of what you say but I would add to this:

Should the seller make sure they are covered for insurance in case of loss = YES ( if not , you lose)

that as well as buying insurance from your shipper or a third party, you can self-insure by adding a tiny amount (based on your calculations of loss potential) to your shipping and handling charge and then dealing with the occasional loss claim without getting Paypal or eBay involved.

If you prefer, that "insurance premium" can be part of your asking price.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Avoid  selling to certain countries : Most important = see exclusion list by country (I have an extensive list , which cut down dramatically unpaid or never received items etc....). It has not lowered my sales and solved a lot of headaches.

That may depend on what you sell.  Most of the unpaid items I get are from North American buyers.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Many say that eBay is here for the buyer..  to the exclusion of the seller.

Yet  with a more careful analysis  both seller and buyer are protected if eBay rules are followed.

-----------------------------------------------

eBay has put together lot of information... Learn what to do and read , read, read..

I did a couple of months of reading before I started selling on eBay... but that was many years ago...

--------------------------------------------

Something new --- Changes  have been put in place where a problem buyer can be reported.    Sellers cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer... However, with enough negative reports a buyer can put themselves in a difficult situation on eBay.

--------------------------------------------

eBay makes adjustments...  Learn to use eBay in an effective manner... Adjust as needed...

-----------------------------

Communication, learn how to communicate is very important. Communication starts with  with what is put in a listing.

and ... Sometimes  it is knowing what not to do or say that will make a selling experience progress over the years..

------------------------------------------------------

The last thing you see is the first things a buyer sees... Prepare a parcel carefully...  and do it right...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sell what you know, and know what you sell...

was stated many times by a well known seller who comes here regularly.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply