Is shipping worldwide the default when listing?

I've come across several auctions that say they ship worldwide along with a shipping cost to Canada at the top of the auction but then their description says they don't ship Internationally. I almost bid on one before I saw the fine print and I find it confusing.

I haven't listed anything for a long time so I'm wondering if it's the default and they forgot to change it when they listed? Or should I email the seller to clarify? I'm not sure what's going on.

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

No, it's not the default.

Do they happen to be listings that use the global shipping program? Ebay tends to opt sellers in to that without them knowing. Of course if they don't that they are opted in, they will probably be shocked when they see a buyer from Canada has purchased an item and might not realize that they will just have to ship the item to Kentucky, not to Canada.

I would probably ask a seller about it if the shipping section didn't match with what the seller stated in the description.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Since you are asking as a seller, this is in the wrong section.

But yes, effectively it is the default.

Unless you specifically Block countries, overseas (and American) bidders have access to your listings and can bid.

You need the Buyer Requirements page to block them.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html

You can also Block specific bidders and Block bidders whose record shows activities that you don't like. (Example, bidders with Strikes of non-payment.)

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Since you are asking as a seller, this is in the wrong section.

But yes, effectively it is the default.

Unless you specifically Block countries, overseas (and American) bidders have access to your listings and can bid.

You need the Buyer Requirements page to block them.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html

You can also Block specific bidders and Block bidders whose record shows activities that you don't like. (Example, bidders with Strikes of non-payment.)

The OP is a buyer not seller and is not asking how to block other countries.

A listing does not automatically show that the seller ships worldwide and it also does not default to show shipping prices for other countries unless the seller has been opted in the gsp.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Yes, I am the buyer. I had 2 issues.

One auction showed up on eBay.ca as a BIN so I did just that. Then it turned out that they didn't ship to Canada but we worked it out.

The 2nd issue was a listing on eBay.ca that used the Global shipping Program and had a price to ship to Canada. I won the auction and paid for the item, domestic shipping and an additional shipping cost to Pitney Bowes. The seller was confused since they didn't mean to ship Internationally and they sent them my Canadian address on their mobile App to ship to and a Kentucky address on a different statement. They emailed and told me I didn't send them enough money to ship to Canada and they didn't mean to list Internationally. In the end we worked it out but I proved to them I paid to have it shipped to Kentucky and then from there to me in Canada. They didn't understand how all that happened. 

Since this is the first time I used the Global shipping program ( as a buyer ) I was confused. It doesn't look like the seller had ever used it before and didn't even realize that they were opted into this.

I was fortunate to have 2 sellers that were willing to work it out but it does appear that not all sellers are aware that they're listed International.

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Since this is the first time I used the Global shipping program ( as a buyer ) I was confused. It doesn't look like the seller had ever used it before and didn't even realize that they were opted into this.

You're not alone. There are many buyers and sellers who are confused by the global shipping program partly because of the way that ebay has implemented it and because of the way they opt sellers in without them realizing it. I don't understand why ebay doesn't realize that this is not a good way to do things and that it can cause buyers to have a bad buying experience.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I don't understand why ebay doesn't realize that this is not a good way to do things and that it can cause buyers to have a bad buying experience.

I can only imagine how many meetings they have over this stuff!

re the op - eBay definitely changes or has changed what serves as default in parts of the shipping interface. Adding and checkmarking countries that I never had checked before in some listings for instance. But I don't remember if worldwide ever appears as default.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I tried starting a new listing from scratch on .com and the default shipping was for U.S. only. However, if my seller address was in the U.S., the default shipping might have been for all of the GSP countries.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply