Making an insurance claim for a lost "Small Packet" parcel..

graysonac
Community Member
Is it worth even trying to make an insurance claim through CP for lost "Small Packet" parcels?

I shipped ~$100 worth of product to Brazil, and the buyer (who's purchased from me before and after that package was sent) hasn't received it. It's been about a month, and it was sent airmail, so it should have been there long before now.

Is it worth trying to get the insurance payout from CP if the package doesn't arrive? Anyone had good/bad experience with a similar situation?

I'm not looking forward to having to refund that much cash 😞
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

sean_5775
Community Member
In my experience no. I tried 2 times and nothing.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
I have only made one claim and I had no problems. It may depend on who answers the phone.

I fear that CP may be trying to avoid the claims by giving people the run-around. This is a common practice among government departments now as well. Be persistent.

Small packets have no delivery standard, including ones sent by air. You cross your fingers and hope for the best. I have a feeling that CP may not be willing to do anything after only a month.

Good luck
Rob
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

graysonac
Community Member
There's a waiting period of 45 days. The delivery standard is, according to the website:
"There are no published delivery standards for Small Packets service; however, there is a service expectation similar to that of the equivalent parcel service."
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I had an Airmail package to Saudi Arabia that went missing end of last year. CP required that I wait until it was apparent the parcel had not been routed by Surface post in error, about 8 weeks. They then refunded in full - Selling price, postage, everything. Go figure.

Ann
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

By the way, CP requires that you send them all related supporting documentation, including your Canada Post cash register receipt. They do not return any of this, so keep backups for your tax records.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
What cash register receipt? All I ever get is the copy of the small packet label with the PO stamp on the back. My packets are all weighed and stamped before I get to the PO so I don't buy postage for each packet separately - does that mean I'd be SOL??
. Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Possibly. You may be better protected to let the PO print the postage and provide proof of payment.
A good question for the next CP workshop.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

What cash register receipt? All I ever get is the copy of the small packet label with the PO stamp on the back. My packets are all weighed and stamped before I get to the PO so I don't buy postage for each packet separately - does that mean I'd be SOL??

The stamped small packet label should be sufficient, the postage receipt was required during the transition period from the old CN22 to the new two part form. If they don't agree just scream and ask to be bumped higher up the food chain.

Personally I have only filed a couple of small packet claims (both before the two part form), the entire claim was done over the telephone and NO documentation was required (claim amounts about $20 & $45), I had my refunds in less than two weeks. I currently have a couple of missing items I will be filing for shortly and I'll report the results when I have them.

One possible reason for the easy claim may have been that I have a CP account number, although I don't use the account (95% lettermail / small packet) I had to set it up to order supplies. This may give them the impression you are something more than a casual mailer and I expect it allows them to access your claims history and know that you don't have a record of a high rate of claims.

Ben
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Hello James. A fellow D&D enthusiast and competitor... ;0)

I've had to claim a few small packets. The waiting times are very very long. Brazil is a popular "lost package" place. They have a very poor postal system there, and I suspect corrupt. I've had 3 lost packages to Brazil, and about 50 successful shipments.

Canada Post requires a very long waiting period before you can claim, and then when you claim another 2-3 MONTHS before they'll reimburse. They do try to give you a runaround to make you give up --- but keep on phoning in on the "deadlines" and things'll get done.

Send me an email sometime (john@vesivus.com) and we'll chat about "the biz". 😉

John
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

graysonac
Community Member
Hrm, so not hopeless then. I'm always leery about shipping outside of North America/Europe, and this is exactly why 😞 The person I sold to is reputable, so I doubt they're ripping me off. As Vesivus said, not a good postal system.

An excellent point about the CP Account Ben, I think I'll double check to make sure I've got that set up. I think I registered with them for something or another, so should have that available already 😉

Heh, not sure I'll be a competitor too much longer Vesivus. Too much work, not enough money. Competing with US folks and their amazingly cheap postal service is just too damn rough. Going to get a job washing dishes or something - probably make more money and work less 😄 I'll toss ya an email though, I do have a question 🙂
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

pixelbarrel
Community Member
We've never had any trouble with getting our money from Canada Post. We've claimed 4 times (once to UK, once to France, twice to the U.S.) We've always gotten our chequen in a reasonable amount of time. They do make you wait...they want to make sure the package doesn't get returned back to you too.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply