Non Paying New Ebay Buyers

Hello everyone. I'm afraid that I just need to vent a little. I have been having a rash of non payers lately. I have had 4 this month alone. They all have had 5 or less feedbacks. In fact, it appears that 2 had just recently joined, bid on my item and then I haven't heard a peep from them. I'm going through the correct channels, sending an email through ebay and their email address, applying for the fvf etc and receiving the refund but it is such a frustrating procedure and a waste of time. Having the odd one non payer once in a moon is expected (even though you hope you don't have this problem) I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. Regards, Michelle (g_hosking)
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

katiusciav
Community Member
hi michelle, i just had my first two in a week about three weeks ago or so. in fact they ended within days of each other, so yes, its frustrating, but looking back, after you're said and done with it, it really doesn't seem like its that bad after all. i just find it annoying that there's people like that...

this is a good place to vent...lets just hope bestshowtime doesn't read this, he'll think it abnormal that you're having these problems...right vitali..?]:)
Kat
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Hello Kat, thanks for listening to me vent. I usually don't have a multitude of listings on at the same time so I do appreciate every bid I get. I think what really annoys me is the none response from the buyer. If they emailed me and advised that they couldn't complete the transaction for whatever reason, I can live with that. Saves a lot of time on my end. Whew! I feel better already!
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
i agree. i know for me, if i bid on something and then later decided i didn't want it for whatever reason (not that i ever would, but you know what i'm sayin'), i swear, i wouldn't be able to sleep at night thinking about it, and i would NEVER be able to just ignore it, or ignore the seller's emails etc...
i guess we find actions to be the most proposterous (sp?) when we ourselves are least likely to behave in that way...if that makes any sense...but..all part of doing business, nonetheless, it always helps to know you're not the only one!!:-)
Kat
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

You can also get their contact info through ebay and phone them. I've done this in the past with some luck in getting paid too. JR
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

We too have had a rash of NPB's and like yours ours too are recently new members and/or have less than 10 positive feedbacks - therefore effective immediately we are no longer accepting bids on our expensive items from bidders with less than 10 positive feedbacks in the last 6months.

We had the same policy in the past and it did help to weed out the phoney bidders.

We drop the policy a few months ago and it looks like the scammers and bogus bidders are at it again - so time to reinstate it for a while.

We too call the bidder if we feel suspicious and for the most part things work out ok but still a few never pay eventhough they say they would.

We understand and accept that it is a part of selling on eBaY - don't waste your time too much just move on and concentrate on the good buyers.

TIM @ FTL
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

bestshowtime
Community Member
"this is a good place to vent...lets just hope bestshowtime doesn't read this, he'll think it abnormal that you're having these problems...right vitali..?
Kat "
I never have problems if somebody didn't pay me.
First time I sold figure for $199US. Wasn't paid! I "relist" it for $225US. Wasn't paid! I "relist" it for $245US. And it was SOLD!!! Most cases you can easy resale it for the same price.
Do you know what I'm doing abnormal? It is if I didn't sell my figurine sometimes I increase sale price next time and in 70% all cases it sold! Why it is happen don't ask me I don't know answer any way.
Kat don't worry I don't have bad feeling about you:-x
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Thank you everyone for your responses and support. At least I know that I'm not alone in this situation. I do contact ebay for the buyers phone number on expensive items but if an item sells at a low price, I don't bother because I figure the long distance phone call will cost me as much as the item I sold. It's just too bad that people will not be courteous enough to contact you one way or the other. Have a great day everyone. Michelle
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
i would never personally go so far as to call someone, i wouldn't want to conduct a business transaction with someone that i had to hound down to collect money from, i'd be happier to just relist and do business with someone who bids and pays happily.
as far as relisting and selling it for different prices, sometimes i'll list something as much as four times, and that last and fourth time around, i'll have multiple bidders on it and end with a very nice price, much higher than anticipated. which is why its very important, in my opinion, to really put thought into when your listings end, i find friday nights so far to be the best night for ebay traffic (and sales), unless of course there's something highly rated on tv, ie american idol-and if that's the case, i won't be around either!!
vitali-right back atcha:-x
Kat
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
I wouldn't call either. Hounding someone to pay you when they don't want to could easily lead to a neg.
Monique

Himalayan Salt Lamps - A Guide to Purchasing

Monique

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

nxtdriver
Community Member
Why waste time calling and chasing for payment?? That is stupid!! If the buyer won't pay, neg them and get the final fee back. I don't have time for people with excuses and other problems that prevent them from paying. Relist the same item at a slightly higher price and wait for it to sell. Works for me. The thing that pisses me off is the people who file a PP claim for non delivery after 1 week. My auctions state 1 wk for Canada and 2-3 wks for delivery in USA. Then again this bounces back to an earlier post where people don't read the auction anyway so they will never see this...
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I have no problems giving a negative to a non payer. At least the other sellers would be aware of the buyers that bid and don't pay.
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
I have no problems giving a negative to a non payer. At least the other sellers would be aware of the buyers that bid and don't pay.

I never understand this train of thought.

No offense intended...but if you have the time to check the FB on every one of your bidders, you aren't doing enough business.

Filing a NPB is much more effective as after so many strikes they will be NARUed.

JMHO
Monique

Himalayan Salt Lamps - A Guide to Purchasing

Monique

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I believe you may have misunderstood me. I do not check the fb on all my bidders. When someone wins one of my items, I am assuming they will follow through and complete the transaction. It's when a buyer does not complete it, after I receive my FVF I then I proceed to give a negative. This, to me, is an indication whether or not this buyer is sincere in purchasing your item. Some sellers are afraid to give a negative to a non payer because of possible retaliation of receiving a negative back. I understand where you are coming from regarding fb checks since you run a business and are most likely very busy but I do this as a hobby so you are correct, there are occasions that I may not do a lot of business.
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
i check every bidder's feedback. not with a fine tooth comb, just look to make sure there's not a lot of negetives and then move on. i don't have lots of volume, maybe 40-100 a month, some are small sales, others are much bigger, but a buyer's feedback to me is important.
Kat
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

sunshine2426
Community Member
I also had 2 within a week as well. I check all my buyers feedback to make sure:)
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

duujogl
Community Member
I'm confused here! What good does it do to check their feedback after they're a buyer? By then we're stuck with them!! I certainly don't have time to check the feedback of every bidder - and to what end? I just don't send the goods until after I've received payment -- unless, of course, I've dealt with them several times before.

If they don't pay - NPB! If they're insulting, neg 'em, take the hit, and make your response brief & accurate!!

This is easy for me to say - I'm dealing in a collectible where the collectors don't want to get on a seller's "bad list"!
Glenda
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

bestshowtime
Community Member
Glenda

This is easy for me to say - I'm dealing in a collectible where the collectors don't want to get on a seller's "bad list"!
Yes, you are right. I 100% agree with you but in collectible world door open for everyone and newbies too!
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

I'm confused here! What good does it do to check their feedback after they're a buyer? By then we're stuck with them!!

I only check feedback of winning bidders in spurts but it can be useful. If a buyer has a record of slow or non payment or other problems you can give them "special" handling like sending follow up notices very quickly or other little things which may make getting paid more likely.

Only a very few of buyers are total flakes, if a buyer has a couple of non-payment negs and 50 positives it indicates they do pay for some things and I'll do what I can to make sure I'm one of the sellers who gets paid.

I never look at feedback of current bidders, for I see no point as it's just as likely they will not be the winning bidder. If I was selling high value scam prone items I might be checking at least for obvious deadbeats.
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 19 of 19
latest reply