Not possible to out bid US bidders as shipping to Canada do high, why try to buy on Ebay?

blossom_42
Community Member

It is very dificult to out bid a US bidders as I have to add approx. $20.00 C  for shipping, therefore, in the future I will probably only buy

using the buy now option.  Some sellers add on less and some more.   With this scenario I will have to weigh my options and possibly use the BUY NOW  key.   Or stop trying to buy on Ebay altogether!     I am new to Ebay and would appreciate others thoughts.  

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Not possible to out bid US bidders as shipping to Canada do high, why try to buy on Ebay?

@candukid wrote:

So tell me this. If I were an American and bought the item, the shipping is usually "free" or very cheap. So why isn't the trip to Kentucky considered "free", and the shipping from Kentucky to Canada the big charge? If it is free inside the US then it should be free to Kentucky. How much does it cost the seller to ship it to the PB warehouse? What we are quoted? Is HE/SHE getting paid the quoted SHIPPING cost that we are paying? I think NOT. I think that PB tells the seller to ship it to the warehouse and pays for that only. Not what the seller could charge on the open market. I think that PB gets a big chunk of this money, and they are using the cheapest worst possible method to get it to our houses up here.

If the seller offers "free" shipping within the United States and its the first domestic shipping option offered, then, yes, shipping a GSP item to Kentucky would incur no extra charges other than what it costs to ship the item from Kentucky to its Canadian destination.

What may be tripping you up is that you're probably accustomed to sellers shipping by international air mail letter post, or First Class International in USPS terminology (and Small Packet in Canada Post terminology).  That mailing method was specially devised by the Universal Postal Union for lightweight (up to 2 kg), inexpensive items.  No other method of shipment, be it by mail or commercial carrier, comes close to the rates offered by international air mail letter.

If you compare the shipping rate of a GSP item with "free" US shipping to that offered by Priority Mail International or Express Mail International, you'll probably find that they're relatively comparable.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

So why isn't the trip to Kentucky considered "free", and the shipping from Kentucky to Canada the big charge? If it is free inside the US then it should be free to Kentucky.

Because the shipping charge is paid by the buyer who is paying for shipping to Canada.

The seller uses part of that charge to ship to Kentucky, and Pitney Bowes takes the rest of it (plus a service charge) to ship to Canada. 

Vastly oversimplified.

The GPS is $20

The seller uses $1 to ship to Kentucky

PB uses $10 to ship to Canada

PB uses $5 as their service charge

Canada and your provice get $4 to share out among PST, GST and duty .

Total= $20

every penny paid by the buyer.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Blossom:  If you want to bid on an item and you can see that the shipping cost is higher than it should be, then email the seller.

To do that you have to be familiar with actual shipping costs or your request will be unreasonable.

in other words, if you know USPS costs and the mode of  shipping you're willing to pay and want  your item shipped by,  then ask for what you want.

In most cases, except for very heavy items, that is First Class International mail. 

While items are up for auction sellers are very willing to accommodate  your request to get the bid because they know that odds are you'll lose and still bid the item up.

Occasionally a seller will try to change the agreement if you win, but most follow through as agreed  with a smile.. :)..

Message 9 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Shipping costs are a fact of life.  I always calculate them into my final cost before bidding.  Also, don't forget you may have to pay provincial and federal sales tax plus a $5-$10 handling fee if shipping htrough USPS or more if shipping through a courier.  Look around. Some sellers offer very reasonable shipping rates and/or combined shipping rates.  Also, you may want to contact the seller before you bid.  Some are oopen to using non-trackable shipping which is cheaper, but you take the loss if it isn't delivered.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

"It is very dificult to out bid a US bidders as I have to add approx. $20.00 C  for shipping,"

Mail order is very expensive, more so when purchasing "stuff" from the USA.

Take a look at those advertisements on TV for all types of gadgets, typically priced at $19.95 (plus shipping and handling) "and if you call within the next twenty minutes you ger a second one free. You only pay additional shipping and handling".

Now, take a very close look at the items.

You get 2 for $19.95

Shipping and handling for 1st item $9.95

Shipping and handling for 2nd item $9.95

so far so good.  Now check the very fine print: "for shipments outside the USA, please add $10.00 per item: 2 items add $20.00

Getting pretty expensive!

Shipping across border is expensive for most items, except very small and light weight stuff.  Sellers shipping outside their borders generally want to ship by more expensive methods giving them some protection (tracking and/or signature).

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

annickd
Community Member

The shipping costs to Canada weren't too bad until a few months ago when ebay's global shipping program began.  This program adds automatic import charges on top of the actual shipping costs.  I buy mostly used clothing on ebay from the US and the UK and have never had to pay import charges on used clothing when the item is shipped directly by the seller.

As far as I can tell, the global shipping program does not benefit anyone except the shipping company.  But it must discourage a lot of buyers from buying on ebay.  Please abolish it!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

The benefit of the Global Shipping Program is for the US seller (not other country can use it) who gets cheap tracking and delivery confirmation on items sent out of the USA. 

Pitney Bowes is a "courier" liek UPS. If you had ever had a shipment sent through UPS, provided the value of the item was over $20, you would be charged their $25 'Customs brokerage fee' plus duty (if applicable, which it would be if the item was not made in the USA) plus provincial sales tax and GST, on your doorstep without previous notice. And if you don't pay up, you don't get the parcel.

PB seems to charge  $4.95 as the service charge +HST+duty. Soi it is cheaper than couriers. In fact it seems reasonable to assume that it is also cheaper than Canada Post, which has a service charge of $10. There is not enough information available yet. 

The big difference is that Canada Post is very lax about charging the money it is supposed to and many importers don't realize that they should have been paying up on receipt of their packages. 

The other factor that seems to be appearing is that the GPS may actually be cheaper for imports over $100, but if you are purchasing something valued under $100, the program should be avoided. 

The GPS is not mandatory. Sellers are not required to sign up for it, and they can (apparently) not use it on a one-off basis. 

Buyers should be aware however that however the purchase is imported, tax and duty may be applicalble and be charged. 

Which could be an inducement to Buy Canadian.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

So tell me this. If I were an American and bought the item, the shipping is usually "free" or very cheap. So why isn't the trip to Kentucky considered "free", and the shipping from Kentucky to Canada the big charge? If it is free inside the US then it should be free to Kentucky. How much does it cost the seller to ship it to the PB warehouse? What we are quoted? Is HE/SHE getting paid the quoted SHIPPING cost that we are paying? I think NOT. I think that PB tells the seller to ship it to the warehouse and pays for that only. Not what the seller could charge on the open market. I think that PB gets a big chunk of this money, and they are using the cheapest worst possible method to get it to our houses up here.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@candukid wrote:

If the seller offers "free" shipping within the United States and its the first domestic shipping option offered, then, yes, shipping a GSP item to Kentucky would incur no extra charges other than what it costs to ship the item from Kentucky to its Canadian destination.

What may be tripping you up is that you're probably accustomed to sellers shipping by international air mail letter post, or First Class International in USPS terminology (and Small Packet in Canada Post terminology).  That mailing method was specially devised by the Universal Postal Union for lightweight (up to 2 kg), inexpensive items.  No other method of shipment, be it by mail or commercial carrier, comes close to the rates offered by international air mail letter.

If you compare the shipping rate of a GSP item with "free" US shipping to that offered by Priority Mail International or Express Mail International, you'll probably find that they're relatively comparable.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

So why isn't the trip to Kentucky considered "free", and the shipping from Kentucky to Canada the big charge? If it is free inside the US then it should be free to Kentucky.

Because the shipping charge is paid by the buyer who is paying for shipping to Canada.

The seller uses part of that charge to ship to Kentucky, and Pitney Bowes takes the rest of it (plus a service charge) to ship to Canada. 

Vastly oversimplified.

The GPS is $20

The seller uses $1 to ship to Kentucky

PB uses $10 to ship to Canada

PB uses $5 as their service charge

Canada and your provice get $4 to share out among PST, GST and duty .

Total= $20

every penny paid by the buyer.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Blossom:  If you want to bid on an item and you can see that the shipping cost is higher than it should be, then email the seller.

To do that you have to be familiar with actual shipping costs or your request will be unreasonable.

in other words, if you know USPS costs and the mode of  shipping you're willing to pay and want  your item shipped by,  then ask for what you want.

In most cases, except for very heavy items, that is First Class International mail. 

While items are up for auction sellers are very willing to accommodate  your request to get the bid because they know that odds are you'll lose and still bid the item up.

Occasionally a seller will try to change the agreement if you win, but most follow through as agreed  with a smile.. :)..

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Thank you, for the breakdown this clarifies a lot of costs!!
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Thank you, for the tips on negotiating with the seller on method of shipping before bidding.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thank you, for your thoughts on this matter, they were appreciated.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply