Purolator - SNR

ujr1867
Community Member
Anyone use Purolator for shipping? We ship some items that are either too big or too heavy for Canada Post. We also have a national account that has reduced rates and is better then the Canada Post / Paypal agreement for some of our items.

We shipped an item to a customer in Ontario. It was tagged as signature required.
Item arrived damaged. The customer then contacted us for a solution (ie: money back or replacement item). As this was a discontinued series item, we refunded the customer.

However, when we went to place our claim with Purolator, we discovered something very interesting. It turns out that certain customers have agreements in place with them that override the "Signature Required" option. And since the customer had an agreement to that effect (of which we were only informed after the fact), our claim was null.

This is what we got from Purolator:
XXXX has signed a “Customer’s authorization to waive delivery signature” a SNR. In doing so, XXXXX agrees to release Purolator from any claims for Loss or Damage, including indirect or consequential loss and indemnify Purolator Courier against any loss or damages Purolator may experience as a result of leaving the shipments as authorized"

Apparently, certain customers can request to keep signatures on file, which overrides any request for signature on delivery. Purolator will simply drop off the package, even if no one is present to sign for it. At the same time, it also removes us from claiming shipping damage against the carrier.

From Purolator:
"The receivers barcode is the signature. The receiver has a signature on file which is how they obtain the barcode. The barcode scan that the customer authorizes is their signature, which is signed by the customer and kept with our legal department. If this package was going to a customer who was not set up with an SNR contract with purolator we would not have left the shipment without a signature. The only case where a physical signature would not be required is with a signature not required customer.
I can't speak to your discussions with the receive in terms of liability however on the legal document they signed to keep a signature on file and have the automated barcode they wave all rights to claim for loss or damages."

Also from Purolator: - from the contract that would have been signed by the customer to override our signature required option.
"If I am the Receiver, I authorize Purolator Courier Ltd. ("Purolator") to
deliver all shipments to the above address without obtaining a proof of
delivery signature (e.g., leaving shipments at premises unattended). If I am
the Shipper, I authorize Purolator to deliver all of my shipments with an OSNR
label to the delivery address of each shipment without obtaining a
proof of delivery signature (e.g., leaving shipments at premises unattended).
I agree to release and indemnify Purolator from and against any claims for
loss or damages, including indirect or consequential damages, resulting
from the delivery of any shipments as authorized herein."

The learning curve
When a customer asks us to make it right, we do so. So hence why we refunded. And with DSRs and feedback at risk, we make it a priority to look after our customers whenever an item arrives incorrectly or damaged. We assumed that the carrier would cover us against loss should that happen. We were not expecting that a SNR (signature not required contract) invalidates our claim with the carrier.

So wanted to post this for others that are using Purolator. You have no way of knowing if your client has an SNR contract when you ship unless you ask them. (and then what - are we to refuse the sale?) You have no insurance if your client does have an SNR contract should the item be damaged in transit. The Signature Required Checkbox on the online shipping form is just for decoration purposes and your package will likely be left unattended and unsigned for. I'm not even sure how that would stand up to Paypal scrutiny if the customer claimed INR.

In our case, the item in question was over $500.

And had we refused the refund - I can just imagine the feedback and the DSRs. (and Purolator does not understand the concept of DSRs, and the pressure it places on sellers).

As we said to Purolator - "What part of Signature Required?" did you not get? Why do you think we checked the box if we didn't actually need the signature?"

Today, after spending two weeks arguing with Purolator, we asked the customer to refund us the money that was returned to him, as with his SNR contract, he assumed full liability for damage during shipment. He knew he was liable for shipping damages, if any, as part of his contract with Purolator, and knew that our claim against Purolator was invalidated by his contract, and yet still came asking for a refund.

Final note - the high tech solution for future incidents from the local delivery man - since the system will not let you not override SNR contracts, to write in the delivery notes "Please do not leave SNR". He said, "Sometimes that works".

Makes me want to look for another carrier for our packages.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Purolator - SNR

It would make an interesting question on the Paypal Forum (not the one on eBay, PPs own) whether or not the barcode would be accepted as a signature or not.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Purolator - SNR

Purolator is feeding you a line of BS.

The customer may be prevented from claiming for damage, but you aren't. You signed nothing that waives your right to claim.

I'd try this one in small claims unless the agreement terms are included in the waybill contract. It's ambiguous and does not contemplate customer claims trough a third party, as in our case.

I think you have an excellent chance of winning.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Purolator - SNR

FEdEx told my supplier the same thing: that they did not collect my signature because I waived the right. I phoned them and they said they had it on file. Since I knew for sure I never signed such an agreement, I demanded a copy of same. Sure enough, they did not have it.
It seems to be the new angle. Even if they loose a few times, it more than makes up in cost for man hours saved collecting signatures.
Good luck!
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Purolator - SNR

I don't use couriers to ship but this sure sounds like a new way for buyers to scam sellers, especially if PP decides in favour of the buyer...which is almost a given.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Purolator - SNR

ujr1867
Community Member
gifts_of_elegance - In your case you were the receiver. In our case, we are the shipper and we are being denied the claim on this item since the receiver (unknown to us) had an SNR agreement in place with Purolator. The receiver readily admits that he has such an agreement.

Purolator is denying our claim when we are the shipper, we've paid the money to ship, we chose signature on delivery and followed all the proper steps.

We sent an email to the customer informing him of the details of the SNR contract that he signed. And that by accepting full liability for shipping damages, and invalidating our claim, that we wanted our money back. We sent him a Paypal invoice which he dismissed.

We also notified Purolator that they should investigate this as they had a client with an SNR contract that was going after the seller for shipping damages, against the terms of their contract with them.

Next week, we expect that we will follow up with a letter from our lawyer.

We are still working to see if Purolator can actually enforce Signature Required. I've threatened to pull our Ebay volume from them as as it stands now, we can't ship blindly without signature confirmation or shipping insurance. My point to Purolator is that under no circumstances can they leave an item that is Signature Confirmation without receiving that signature. It might work for most packages, but it doesn't work when you sell on Ebay. Or if they insist of doing such a stupid thing, they have to take the risk for it, and pony up for the claim when the item gets damaged or goes missing. At the very least, they need to inform us at time of shipping that this item is not covered as the client has an SNR contract, and then we can pull the delivery and ship via another carrier.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Purolator - SNR

ujr1867
Community Member
westernstar -

True - it's almost too easy to scam with this. Just get an SNR contract with Purolator, buy from Ebay and then claim your item was damaged or not received. Sellers will have no choice but to refund or replace as their feedback and DSRs are held hostage.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Purolator - SNR

I wouldn't be surprised if Purolator is relying on a clause in the Warsaw Convention that says the courier is an agent of the buyer.

You should inform them that the Warsaw Convention only applies to international freight.

I still think this is BS and you have a claim.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Purolator - SNR

purolator annoys me.
I use UPS for that very reason.
I was put over a barrel once by purolator but UPS treats me well and I get great rates.
let us know how it works out.
Im quite curious.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply