Recovering money paid to Pitney Bowes on damaged shipment

A package was delivered last week - damaged.  Unfortunately it was glassware inside so one of the two items was broken. 

I understand that this is covered under the e-Bay buyer protection program but I am to contact the seller to try to work out an arrangement. Unfortunately, the money paid to Pitney Bowes (about $14) came direct from my paypal so the seller doesn't have any record or involvement in this - and is telling me they can't refund money that they didn't receive.  I paid $10 for the glasses and $14 for shipping. I am okay with keeping the one undamaged glass if I could get a proportional refund on what I paid (refund of $12 on the $24 that I paid) but this exceeds what the seller received from the transaction.

The seller thinks I should get my refund from Pitney Bowes and not her since the package was damaged in shipping.

I'm new to this global shipping system eBay has implemented.  Who should be dealing with Pitney Bowes on this and how should this be done?.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Recovering money paid to Pitney Bowes on damaged shipment

Go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an Item Not As Described dispute.

In the dispute, say that this was purchased through the GSP.

You should be refunded promptly and you will not be required to return the undamaged glass.

While the seller is correct that damage in shipping is covered by GSP not by the seller, she should have packed the glassware better in the first place.

Unless the parcel was marked that it was opened and repacked by the GSP itself. They are a hamhanded bunch.

You may wish to reflect this in your feedback and Detailed Seller Ratings.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply