Run for the border (from Toronto to USPS)

Increasing postage charges from CP and the falling US Dollar combine to make shipping via USPS more and more attractive.

I would like to contact other full time GTA sellers to combine with for economical border runs to Lewiston NY.

I can offer my own volume of packages and logistics assistance but need others to overcome my own personal borders issues.

If interested please contact me directly or post here.

Ben
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Thanks for the advice. I already have a post office box with USPS. Next time around I will inquire about getting free boxes, that would be a nice savings. Did you know that the USPS location at the Buffalo airport is open 24 hours 7 days a week?
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
It's not 24/7 anymore. It changed around Oct/Nov last year I believe. If I remember correctly it's open until midnight and then opens at 6 or 7am. 716-631-3531 I posted the hours in here once before but you'd have to do a search. I'm sorry but I don't remember.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction
Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Hi Jakeeangel,

Thanks for the clarification. I was going according to the info posted on the USPS.com website. I just phoned them and they mentioned that they are open from 6am to midnight.
Message 23 of 32
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
No problem at all. I know I'd be rather piffed if I got there in the wee hours of the morning only for it to be closed.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

I would never do it at that time, what do you tell customs as you are crossing? I'm just headed to the post office be back in an hour?
Message 25 of 32
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
I have a commercial decal on the car from US Customs and Border Protection. I tell them that I'm going to the post office to mail items I sold on eBay. If they ask I show them the manifest, tell them what the items are and the value of the goods being brought in. I always go shopping and do dinner when I'm down there so I mention that too.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

rulooking4something
Community Member
Hi I make the trip across the border weekly to niagara falls NY - my shipper is CAN-AM mail box rental - for 3 years now he gives me the choice of either UPS or post office - depends on weight and UPS gives you $100 insurance included - no line ups at the post office - even the UPS store is more expensive - his name is rob at 2315 whirlpool street niagara falls NY 14305 - phone is 716-284-6245 - he's saved me thousands of dollars - I even use his zip code in my listings so usa & international buyers can use the shipping calculator - also you can get the customs form at this link http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/ then go to forms at the top - then go to form # CBP Form 7523 - Entry and Manifest of Merchandise Free of Duty, Carrier's Certificate and Release
(online)(print only)(wizard)
hope this helps some fellow canadians
Message 27 of 32
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
bump

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!

When you find doing what's right hard to do - you've got a problem.
Message 28 of 32
latest reply

If you look on the cbp.com site, it actually tells you that there is no law that says that you have to hire a Custom's Broker.

It's not always easy and sometimes downright impossible to deal with USA Customs. You have to weigh the time involved and the stress factor. Each time I get sent in, its a 4 hour delay. Add to it the time involved in preparing the paper work and the extra time to travel. Is it worth it?
Message 29 of 32
latest reply

facestation
Community Member
We use this compnay, we have a few local sellers that drop off their packages to our location as that is one of unitedships pick up locations (since we do high volumes)

unitedship.ca

Picks up from Canada, delivered by the USPS
(We're in Concord BTW)

Moez.
Message 30 of 32
latest reply

g-manthebossman
Community Member
I would like more information on using usps from the lower mainland of b.c. i live about 1 hour or so from the border with gas prices it would be uneconomical for me to drive myself, my items are on the high ticket end (40-1000 dollars) so i only ship about 30 packets a week. are there companies out here that i can hire to bring my items across the border for mailing at a cheaper rate and what do these companies charge? thx my email is g_manthebossman@hotmail.com
Message 31 of 32
latest reply

laurahowes
Community Member
Facestation, could you confirm that website? (By PM, if necessary).

THANKS!
Message 32 of 32
latest reply