Seller not responding to emails after purchase

Hi everyone, first time posting here.  I recently ordered an item from a local seller.  Before I placed the order, communication was great, responses were within minutes.  Along with a few other questions about the listing, I asked the seller if local pick up was an option.  They replied yes.  I purchased the item, sent a message requesting local pick up as we had discussed and heard nothing back.  Transaction was last Wednesday at around 10 a.m..   By Saturday, I hadn't heard back so I messaged again, at this point the transaction had made it through paypal to my credit card (the bank doesn't always update that quickly online).    I asked the seller again about possible local pick up and stated if it had already  been shipped that was fine but please let me know either way.  It had NOT been marked as shipped in my purchases.  Today, 1 week post, I still have not heard anything so I once again sent a message asking if there was an issue and to please let me know.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do know.  It's to early to register a complaint or file for a resolution, something I've never had to do and I'm not sure it's warranted at this point.  Or is it?

I'm looking for any advice you can give.

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

First, don't ever pay for a pickup item with Paypal. The deal should be cash on pickup. And of course, don't hand over your money until you have inspected the item.

Since you have paid and he does not appear to have shipped, and is not responsive, start the Item Not Received dispute. You can still go back to the pickup agreement if he suddenly wakes up.

Of course, there is also the possibility that he has died and been eaten by his cats, in which case, PP will refund you.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hi, thanks for the response.  First, let me say that the request for pick up came from me, not the seller, not sure if that makes any difference to your response.   Canada post is not the speediest service.

I'm curious, why cash on delivery only for a pick up item?

I still have not heard back from the seller and today is the date at which the item should have been received if the seller had shipped the item.  I'll give them until I get home from work and check the mail.  Then I'll take it to the dispute center.

Thanks for the advice.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

The seller should have stated a handling time in the shipping tab area...what does it say?

Normally I would say that filing a claim after a week is too quick although your seller isn't being helpful and it is frustrating not knowing what is going on.  But I would probably wait until after the weekend.

A seller does not want to take Paypal for a pickup because if the buyer claims that they didn't receive an item through paypal there is no way to prove that the buyer picked it up. But I can't think of a reason right now why it isn't a good idea for a buyer to use Paypal when picking up an item.   I am curious though, if the seller didn't have pick up as an option in the listing, did you pay for shipping or did the listing state free shipping?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

There is no such thing as Free Shipping.

It just means the cost of shipping is included in the asking price.

The advantage of paying cash on pickup for the buyer is that, if the item on inspection is unsatisfactory, the buyer and seller don't have to go through any rigamarole to get the refund.

Seller; Here it is.

Buyer: I really don't want it, because; reasons.

Seller; Ok, I will send you a Mutual Cancellation and we're golden.

Easy.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Last couple days have been kinda hectic and I haven't done anything further yet.

It was a "free shipping".  There was no discount for me picking it up, it was only because it was local and I figured I could get it quicker.   Thought I had mentioned this above but under domestic handling time it states will ship within same business day if paid by 2p.m.  I paid at 10 a.m., even if it took time to clear, it never takes this long.  

Re: filing a claim after a week is too quick

That's the main reason I came here for advice.  It was my feeling as well.

It is very frustrating not hearing back from the seller, mostly again because they were so quick with the initial pre-purchase replies.  I'm in limbo...

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Update time.  

Figured I'd give the seller one more chance before i opened up a dispute.  I'm a patient man!  

I emailed Saturday asking once again if I could come and pick up my item, or if it had already been shipped.  Only difference, this time I said that if I haven't heard back soon I will be opening up and "item not received" dispute.  Within seconds I received a reply "we issued you a refund as the item was out of stock".  I checked my paypal and nothing, so I replied that I do not see a refund in my paypal account and could you please send me the refund transaction number.  Again within moments, I received a response.  I'll get it to you asap as soon as I'm near my pc.

Nothing...

I was pretty busy Sunday, so this morning I checked my paypal again and still no refund.  I've just finished emailing the seller one last time asking to refund my purchase today.  I checked the item out again in their ebay store.  It had originally said 4 available and now it says zero.  I checked into it a little further 3 were purchased AFTER me...apparently.  Wonder if they'll have better luck.

I'm 100% guessing here but it seems like a drop ship kind of deal.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Hello adbaker - IMHO, you have been more than patient.  If by now you have not received a full refund, don't delay - open a dispute.   This seller sounds as if they don't have their act together, and you are spending too much of your precious time poking them for something that you know you are not getting.  Call them to account, and move on.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Just like to thank everyone who replied with advice.

I opened up a dispute this morning and received a refund within 10 minutes and a case closed email from paypal.

Thanks again

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Maybe getting a defect will teach the seller a lesson.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply