Should I cancel this transaction?

Hello folks,

Received a message from a US buyer that a part was missing from their purchase. I replied to please check packaging carefully because I had included everything when I shipped. Received a very disappointed reply saying that everything was checked. The buyer was intending to use the item on a trip tomorrow and I felt very badly. I told her that the only thing that could explain this is if the item was checked by Customs and they neglected to put the now missing piece back in the parcel.

This circumstance is a new one for me so I offered to do the proper ebay thing (I think) and promptly did a paypal refund. I took it a step further and told the buyer that they could keep the "incomplete" item in good faith and purchase the missing piece which is readily available on the market. That was earlier this evening and I have not had any response since offering the refund (which is now complete). I would like to cancel the transaction to get my fees returned. Should I wait to hear from the buyer? How long?

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Nah -- he got what he wanted-- a free thingy.

It's late. I'm tired and grouchy.

Normally, after a properly sympathetic discussion of the problem, the seller offers a refund on return of the item. Yes, even if the item will not work without the supposedly missing part.

Most honest but unhappy buyers will go along with this. Good sellers will not only refund the original payment but also the return shipping.

The dishonest customer, on being called on his bullying, will rant and rave. Or possibly just shut up and go on to the next sucker.

Was the broken piece jewellry? You got took.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I usually write a note to the buyer explaining that I need to cancel the transaction with ebay and that ebay will be sending them a message asking if they agree. Then I start the cancellation. If the buyer doesn't reply to it, you can close it in 7 days and get your fees back.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Many thanks for your replies.

After offering the complete refund, including the shipping cost to send the item, I did mention that ebay would be sending a message to ask them to agree to the cancellation. I received no reply. So I did the refund through paypal last night and this morning I started the cancellation process with ebay. Still no reply.

Let me add, I am a small time ebayer who only sells the "stuff" that accumulates in my house over time, or things that I buy and end up not using. I know the above issue is small potatos compared to the issues that big sellers like yourselves have to deal with, but it is enough of a "stress" or hindrance to a casual seller like myself that I am contemplating not selling through ebay anymore.

It's not what it used to be like... when I first started there were lots of bidders, all items sold and getting feedback was never an issue. Now there are very few bidders, and enough no-sales, and so many transactions do not receive feedback. I ship right away, I go above and beyond with pretty packaging and a thank-you. I used to enjoy that. But this one case is kind of like the final straw... I end up giving the item away, even paying to ship it. Now I may not get my ebay fees back and who knows what kind of feedback this person may leave.

Thanks for listening to me vent. I don't really feel much better. Maybe it's best to just let it go and if my 100% rating is effected then I will just cancel my ebay account and forget about it.

No "reallynicestamps" this item was not a broken piece of jewellery. It was a Miche purse that sold with straps and the buyer is claiming there were no straps. I really have no idea what happened to them. The buyer had 0 feedback when bidding and a feedback of 1 received later, but no feedback given.

I will get back to you and let you know what happens.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@irishmaiden1964 wrote:

After offering the complete refund, including the shipping cost to send the item, I did mention that ebay would be sending a message to ask them to agree to the cancellation. I received no reply. So I did the refund through paypal last night and this morning I started the cancellation process with ebay. Still no reply. 

If it's any consolation, you're best off if the buyer doesn't respond at all to the cancellation request.  At least you'll get your fees back.  Keep a watch on it, and close it promptly yourself as soon as you're allowed to do so (7 days).  

I sympathize.  You're right that eBay used to be a place where people could have fun selling off things they had around the house, or found at thrift shops, yard sales, etc.  I call this place "leaner, meaner eBay" - it's much harder to do that sort of small, part-time selling these days.  In fact, even with my more or less full-time eBay store, with my relatively low-volume, higher-priced OOAK (one of a kind) offerings, the massive changes to this site have meant real challenges. 

You'll never know whether this particular customer was telling the truth or ripping you off.  In my opinion, the "false" returns issue (i.e. getting a refund while keeping the item) is a gap in eBay policy, but I doubt much will be done about it.  

Sellers on the "new" eBay have to develop a thick skin to be able to deal with the challenges.  My advice, for what it's worth, is not to contact this buyer again, but close the cancellation at the 7-day mark, and hope the buyer either neglects or forgets to leave FB, then try to move forward to the next (hopefully positive) experience. 

Let us know the outcome. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Thank you rose-dee for your take on my situation and what it now the "leaner meaner eBay" amen.

Well here I am at day 7 and no reply from the buyer as expected.

I am now looking forward to closing this case and moving on, however, I cannot find the option to close the dang case.

According to eBay help (that's a laugh in itself) you sign into the resolution centre and select the case then click on Take Action. Well there is no Take Action.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Again, you acted too soon. You should have held the refund until the cancellation was done. You should not have refunded until you had the item back in your hands.

We women have a tendency to be waaay too nice with people. And we older women really had it dinned into us. This is not a church social. It's business. That scammer was taking food out of your babies' mouths.

Think less nice girl and more mamma bear.

Gee, I'm not tired at all and I'm still grouchy.

NO REFUNDS WITHOUT RETURN.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Agreed. This is my first experience with this sort of thing and I reacted quickly without thinking things through... was trying to show good faith by letting her keep the purse, nothing I can do anyway with the purse with no straps, and then there's the issue of return shipping costs.

I just wanted the whole transaction overwith... still cannot figure out how to close this cancellation case???

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

It is 7 full days (7 x 24 hours) from the time the case was started. So you can only close on the start of Day 8.  Once the full time period is reached, you will have options to close the case.

So wait another day to see what options you have.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Again, you acted too soon. You should have held the refund until the cancellation was done. You should not have refunded until you had the item back in your hands.

I'm a bit perplexed here.  Wouldn't cancelling the transaction (i.e. waiting either until the buyer agreed to cancel, or cancelling after 7 days) effectively remove the seller's ability to refund if in fact the buyer was being honest and returned the item -- which is, admittedly, likely not the case here?  Wouldn't it also remove the electronic trail -- via Paypal -- that would protect the seller by confirming the details of a refund?  

I can see that doing things in this order would get the seller's fees back, but what would happen in a situation where the buyer found the transaction cancelled and assumed the seller was pulling a fast one by trying to make the whole thing disappear?  The buyer might be inclined to leave negative FB and strafe the seller's DSRs before the seller had an opportunity to refund, and especially if waiting for the item to be returned.  Unfortunately cancelled transactions don't cancel the ability to leave FB.  I think if I received a truly defective or broken item, contacted the seller, then received a request to cancel the transaction, I'd get rather ornery (and suspicious), and refuse the cancellation.

The OP will never really know if her buyer was being honest or not.  I think if I were presented with this scenario I'd err on the side of caution to try to protect my DSRs, and offer to refund upon return of the item, then cancel the transaction.  At that point, presumably the buyer is happy enough with how the seller has handled the matter to either agree to the cancellation or not bother to respond, in which case the seller can close it and get a fee refund.  I think the chances of getting reasonable FB/DSRs in that case -- assuming an honest buyer -- are better than in attempting to cancel the transaction before refunding.  

I don't know -- I suppose the approach a seller takes to this kind of thing depends a lot on how easily she can absorb potential bad FB, etc. and what the item value is.  With a ca. $100+ item, I'd be insisting on return before refunding; with a $20 item, I might refund in the hope that gesture would encourage the buyer to agree to a cancellation.  Still, smaller sellers can't afford such largesse very often.

As I said, I think this area (sellers feeling obliged to refund before -- or without -- a return of the item) is a large gap in eBay policy that needs to be addressed somehow.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I should probably have added up there that in a case where I did suspect a buyer was attempting to have their cake and eat it too (keep the item and get a refund), I would want to make nice-nice and pretend I didn't realize I was being duped by the buyer, in order to protect my FB/DSR ratings.  Why?  Because I know there is no recourse within eBay against such defrauding schemes. 

What would be the point of setting off a furious reprisal by a scorned scammer intent on doing damage to my seller status because their little plan got exposed (by a seller insisting on having the item returned, for example)?  I'd rather kill such flies with honey and hope that such a person would quietly move on (hopefully also forgetting to leave any FB). That is, as long as it didn't cost me too much.  With a really expensive item, I'm not so sure; I'd likely stand my ground on the returns issue. 

In fact, let's face it, this kind of buyer behaviour is sadly also a subtle form of FB extortion -- it puts pressure on the seller to give in to the buyer or face possible retaliation.  Not expressed, but there nonetheless.  I wish eBay would find a way to deal with this issue. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Rose-dee, your trend of thought in your last post reflects exactly what I was thinking as I desperately and quickly tried to figure out what to do with this situation. I think the worse part about this whole thing is having to make "nice-nice" and pretending since, as you say, there is no other recourse within eBay. Absolutely it is a form of FB extortion. I do not consider myself a FB junkie but I guess it bothers me when someone has the potential to be dishonest and taint my reputation. In terms of $ cost, this "customer" cost me $41 US. 

Even though the 7 x 24 hrs period expired yesterday at around 10:00am CST, the eBay system finally gave me the ability to "Take Action" with the case this morning and I closed it. Thanks again to everyone who gave their two cents worth. It certainly gives me a whole new perspective on how things work/don't work with eBay. I am glad that this forum is here for those who want to stick around with eBay and have to frequently deal with decision-making that balances following eBay policy, incurring the least cost, and incurring the least damage. Can't say that this if for me. I will be keeping my eBay account for now but NOT for selling. I do have a few trusted sellers that I like to buy from and would miss them.

All the best everyone!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I'm glad we were able to be of some help.  These boards are useful for working out issues that sellers are more or less left alone to deal with by eBay.  

Yes, this has become a tougher place to sell unless you're in the Target stratosphere.  I miss the days when people seemed to have fun selling here.  Granted, there were abuses and problems, but the foundation of eBay remained fairly steady -- a place for small, independent sellers to come and make some money.  Many of those sellers were probably unable to earn extra "pin-money" in any other way, and I know it was a liberating factor for a lot of women in particular.

Now the conceptual underpinnings of eBay are shifting almost weekly, but the overall direction seems to be clear: they are slowly turning this huge site into a commercial space with offerings you can find in just about any department (or dollar) store.  I'm never quite sure how long I will be able to hang on as a little "boutique" seller, and am always concerned about that one next policy alteration by eBay that will mean the end of my efforts here.  I feel like one of those little neighbourhood shops with a W-Mart being constructed next door!  So much has changed in the last year that my head is spinning. However, for now I'm hanging on by my fingernails, hoping to survive the coming tsunami on this site.  

I wish you the best!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

So much has changed in the last year that my head is spinning.

So true.

Boy, i really have had to work on my store this year.

I blame myself, i became too complacent.

Sales are up for the year, but i keep thinking i could have done a lot better had i worked the store a little more in years past.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply