Should I neg or not

This morning I bought a busted, beat up radio - total cost including shipping was about $60 and I paid right away. I wanted it for parts. Within minutes I get a refund and a email saying he had made a mistake listing it and was in the process of removing the listing. He said that he had got the "Buy It Now" price wrong.

The radio was broken in two places and is only good for parts and I think it should have been a sale that he should have gone through.

However:

If and when I make a mistake like that I would not pull the listing and refund making some lying lame excuse. I would honour the sale.

I don't think he realizes that I can leave him feedback. I have only given one negative feedback in 12 years on eBay - but I am thinking about making it two.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Should I neg or not

Just make sure he doesn't try to pull a "buyer changed mind" type of item cancellation. Your seller probably isn't even aware that refunding you without the proper cancellation results in a defect.

Let them build up a pile of defects and then they can come to the boards and claim they were restricted "for no good reason" and "I have perfect feedback"!

Personally I'm too forgiving and easy going to hand out negs unless I actually get ripped off. I prefer to let natural selection to do it's thing.

I do have a tip for you, do not buy this sort of thing with your selling id, start another id just for buying. If you did leave a neg this buyer could claim it was uncalled for and you left it because you are a competitor. You may also find that there are some sellers that will block you or cancel the sale just because you are a seller of similar items. Some people get bent out of shape when they think somebody can get more for an item than they can.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Should I neg or not

Seems mean spirited to give a fellow EBay member a neg for making a error, why not give benefit of doubt, what if you did it?

Plus members have many accounts  not just one that may be obvious..

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Should I neg or not

Sellers have to learn to honor the intent of the listing..

If a seller makes a mistake  they should honor the sale no matter what it costs.

I have made mistakes as a seller... the result of  errors  in the listing.

(1) Sold a softcover edition of a book... relisted a hardcover edition... but forgot to change the shipping from lettermail to Expedited....

(2) My templates have prices....  listed.....  Listed a book but forgot to change the price... sold for $10... the template price.....  My mistake.... and that is when my template price became $24.99.

(3) Revised a listing  with shipping costs indicated....  and somehow  my US price  became my worldwide price..... Buyer in Greece  got a very good deal on that book...

In each situation  the sale was honored....... Why?  because  all of my other sales covered for this one mistake.

It is the seller's responsibility to honor the sale....

Cancelling because of a seller mistake... is a defect....

Does the seller deserve a negative?......  Call it a wake up call.......  if the negative is left.

Many sellers  think they live in a protective cocoon... and do not deserve what the buyer says.....or does in relation to the transaction.

and then many sellers  just let the defects accumulate....and then comes  the one more that kills their business.....  

and then they ask  .... Why does eBay do this?

Too may sellers do not take things seriously until it is too late....

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Should I neg or not

"rosscd57" - Please post if you have the option to leave feedback.  Here's a copy of a recent comment I posted, asking if others have a feedback option in these circumstances:

I had the same thing happen recently, and was unable to leave feedback.  Although the cancelled transaction still shows under "Purchases", there is no option for leaving feedback on the drop-down menu.  I think you used to be able to leave feedback in this circumstance, but I'm not sure, since this has rarely happened to me.  I do know that on the rare occasion that a purchaser wished to cancel, the feedback option was still available for both buyer and seller, but this is going back at least 6 months since I've had that situation.  

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with more recent experience, especially if able to leave feedback when a seller cancelled? There seems to be a lot of angst on the part of sellers about possible negative feedback on cancellations.  Has eBay recently eliminated this option?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Should I neg or not

I have left Neutral feedback for cancelled transactions in the past.

Gives other buyers an indication if the seller has a history of doing this.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Should I neg or not

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

"rosscd57" - Please post if you have the option to leave feedback.  Here's a copy of a recent comment I posted, asking if others have a feedback option in these circumstances:

Yes I can leave feedback.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Should I neg or not

@2014sportsterguy wrote:

Seems mean spirited to give a fellow EBay member a neg for making a error, why not give benefit of doubt, what if you did it?

Plus members have many accounts  not just one that may be obvious..

What if I did it? If I did it the buyer would have got the item.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Should I neg or not

EBay suddenly introduced this Cancel a Completed Sale option, for both buyers and sellers.

It seems to have been causing a lot of angst among both groups.

Was this ever announced? I'm very lax about reading Announcements.

I can't see that it is any improvement over the Mutual Cancellation option, which at least pushes members to communicate in a friendly manner.

It's an easy out for naive sellers who foolishly follow eBay's 'start you auction at a penny' idiocy, and for thrill bidders who don't understand that some of us sellers are real people trying to make an honest loonie.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Should I neg or not

@reallynicestamps wrote:

EBay suddenly introduced this Cancel a Completed Sale option, for both buyers and sellers.

It seems to have been causing a lot of angst among both groups.

Was this ever announced? I'm very lax about reading Announcements.

I can't see that it is any improvement over the Mutual Cancellation option, which at least pushes members to communicate in a friendly manner.

It's an easy out for naive sellers who foolishly follow eBay's 'start you auction at a penny' idiocy, and for thrill bidders who don't understand that some of us sellers are real people trying to make an honest loonie.

If you are referring to the rule that within the first hour, a buyer can ask for a cancellation...yes this was announced.  In that situation, the seller does have the option of not agreeing.

There is no new rule about a seller being allowed to cancel a sale just because they made a mistake.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply