Stephen Harper announces family tax cut, child care benefit boost

valve37
Community Member

Can you believe Trudeau said he would reverse the income splitting if elected. That should go over like a lead balloon. 

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has announced a new "family tax cut," a version of the family income-splitting promise he made during the 2011 federal election, along with increases to monthly child care benefit cheques and to the amount taxpayers can deduct for child care expenses.

The tax cut comes in the form of a non-refundable federal tax credit — meaning it will have no effect on provincial income taxes — and is capped at $2,000.

Harper made his announcement at a campaign-style event at a community centre north of Toronto. He was joined by Finance Minister Joe Oliver and other Conservative MPs, including several from the Toronto area.

The prime minister also announced a boost to the universal child care benefit, to $160 a month per child up to age six from the current $100 per month, and is introducing a credit of $60 per month for children aged six to 17 years.

The new credits go into effect on Jan. 1, 2015, but the government will wait until July to make the first payments and make them retroactive.

That means every Canadian family with children under 18 is set to receive $420 per child just three months ahead of the next scheduled federal election — plus regular monthly cheques as the campaign nears.

"Our goal has always been to make sure that Canada is the best country in the world in which to raise a family," Harper told the assembled crowd in Vaughan, Ont.

"Our government is utterly convinced of one thing: when it comes to the cost of raising a family, Canada's moms and dads deserve all of the help that we can give them."

Changes to 2011 promise, but more money

Harper's 2011 promise on income splitting was contingent on a balanced budget, a goal that will officially be met with next spring's budget and one that many observers believe is already a fact.

The 2011 proposal promised couples the ability to transfer up to $50,000 from one spouse or partner to the other to take advantage of lower tax brackets, a move the government projected would cost $2.7 billion per year.

Thursday's announcement puts a cap of $2,000 on the tax savings for each couple, which will reduce the cost of the program and free up money for the universal child care credit increase.

Those two measures together will cost $3.1 billion in 2014-15 and $4.5 billion in 2015-16.

Harper also announced that the limit on the child-care expenses deduction, which allows taxpayers to claim child-care expenses incurred in order to work or go to school, will be raised by $1,000.

Harper said all the measures being introduced would save Canadian families on average $1,100 a year, but higher-income families with more children will stand to save significantly more than that.

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau was not impressed with Harper's announcements.

"Income splitting is an idea that will give a $2,000 tax cut to families like mine or Mr. Harper's — that's not good enough," he told reporters during a brief statement in Whitby, Ont., where he was campaigning for next month's federal byelection with Liberal candidate Celina Caesar-Chavannes. He did not offer a counter-proposal.

Thursday's event included Harper interviewing a pair of "average" Canadian families on either side of the stage about the daily challenges of raising a family.

Harper previously announced the federal children's fitness tax credit will be doubled immediately, to a maximum credit of $150 per child from $75, and made fully refundable as of 2015. A refundable credit means parents whose incomes are too low to pay taxes will still get money.

The New Democrats announced a $15-a-day child-care plan earlier this month as part of an ambitious plan to create or maintain a million affordable daycare spaces across the country.

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau has already vowed he’d reverse a Conservative income-splitting policy if his party forms a government. Trudeau will speak to reporters after Harper's announcement.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stephen-harper-announces-family-tax-cut-child-care-benefit-boost-1.2...

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

But you realize you're also giving a $2k benefit to the $110k+$0k  or $210k+$0k couples 

The 110k+0 couple gets $55k/person lifestyle and $210k+0 get $105k/person lifestyle. Splitting still seems fair and natural to me. Btw even without formal income splitting, breadwinner partner can simply employ stay at home partner.

Stuff like income splitting are just red cloth to keep taxpayers occupied among themselves and pay less attention to real issues that lead to budged deficits like government overspending, poor financial management and corruption

Message 21 of 48
latest reply

Couple where one makes $60k and other makes $30k live $45k/person lifestyle so they deserve to be taxed from $45k/person income, what is wrong with this?

Not all couple's in that scenario get to split their income.

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 22 of 48
latest reply

Yes, define couple.

1) with children under 18

2) with no children or any under 18

3) higher income spouse aged over 65 and dependant children under 18 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 23 of 48
latest reply

Splitting still seems fair and natural to me.

I agree with you there too - but it only works if you're wearing your blinkers and ignore the bigger picture. Income splitting gives a large benefit to people, 99.9% of whom honestly don't need it, and gives nothing to people who do need it. All financed by the country at large. In the context of the larger picture, it makes no sense at all.

People who want to hire their spouses are free to do so. That's a different story entirely.

Message 24 of 48
latest reply

If the objective is fairness to families with comparable levels of income, Kesselman writes, then why restrict it to couples with children? If income-splitting is fair - although he doesn't think it is - then it should be extended to everyone.

Or, if the objective is to support families with children, as the policy's supporters also claim, then why does it provide the least benefit - often none - to families with the greatest need? Why does it apply to only the 13 per cent of families with children.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Cayo+Detailed+analysis+exposes+more+income+splitting+flaws/10351693...

I agree with this article. It suggest that if the intent is to provide extra support for children then you can enhance the existing

child tax credit, Canada Child Tax Benefit and add an additional supplement for those near the bottom of the income scale, or the Working Income Tax Benefit. You can expand even more the Universal Child Care Benefit or Increase the Child Care Expense Deduction.

If the intent is tax fairness they failed. Why should your tax rate depend on whether you have children under 18 and what your spouse makes?

Children are dependents and that's what deductions are for.

Message 25 of 48
latest reply

Toronto Star, November 4th, 2014:

Justin Trudeau: Income splitting not a wise investment for Canadians

The Conservative government’s proposed tax break would benefit most those who need the least.

For generations, Canada has been built by hard-working people who want to make sure their kids have a better life than they did. And every day, middle class Canadians continue to do that. However, times are tough for millions of Canadians who are simply trying to make ends meet, let alone save for their child’s education or their own retirement. Jobs are scarce because of our weak economy. People worry if our health care system can survive funding cuts. This is why a federal surplus should be invested wisely.

Income splitting is not a wise investment for Canadians. It will eat through virtually the entire federal surplus without providing any benefit to most Canadians, without creating a single job, and without helping one young person get some opportunity to get ahead.

Granted, the policy Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced last week will benefit some Canadians. However, it is not a policy designed to help all or even most Canadians. In fact, despite changes the Conservatives made to this scheme, it will still benefit the wealthiest Canadians most of all. Nearly half the benefits would flow to those making over $100,000 a year.

In short, Mr. Harper appears to believe the Canadians who need the least should be given the most. That’s not fair.

Not only does Mr. Harper’s plan not benefit most middle class Canadians, it relies on them to fund it. Think about a single mother earning one income who has to work hard to ensure her child goes to school, that the fridge is always stocked, and there is gas in the tank. She’s also worried about putting money away for the future. Meanwhile, thanks to the Conservative government raising tariffs on thousands of household goods, anything from a new bike to a new TV will soon be even more expensive.

This is the person Mr. Harper thinks should pay for those who make double or triple her income to get a $2,000 tax break.

And for whose benefit? Probably not yours. Perhaps you and your partner make approximately the same amount. Forget income splitting; it doesn’t apply to you. Does your partner make $75,000 and you make $44,000? Again, forget it. It’s not for you. Maybe you earn very little, your partner earns more, but not significantly. Does income splitting help you? That depends, but in many cases, it won’t.

It’s simply not a good way to help Canada’s middle class families. The government has offered a giveaway to well-off families with billions of dollars of taxpayer money.

Since I became Liberal leader, I’ve focused on building a better Canada for the middle class. We have a responsibility to make sure that hard work so many Canadians put in day after day is not in vain. Our children deserve to inherit a Canada that is fair and gives everyone the chance to succeed.

Rather than implement short-term tax breaks for the wealthy, the government should be investing our surplus in those programs and projects that will best benefit Canadians both now and in the long-term. Smart investments in infrastructure will create jobs in the short-term and prepare Canada to confront the challenges of the future with a solid foundation — quite literally, in some cases.

Canadians have sacrificed so our federal government can have a surplus. Now, it’s time it was reinvested properly for the benefit of as many Canadians as possible. Investments in innovation, higher education and health care will do that better than a targeted tax break for Conservative voters.

For that is what this is. Income splitting is a cynical policy, designed by a tired government short on ideas, now reheating old concoctions as their next campaign policy menu. Make no mistake: this is not an attempt at resolving growing inequality in Canada, nor is it a good way to use our surplus to the advantage of every Canadian.

This Conservative government has the worst growth record of any since that of R.B. Bennett during the Great Depression. Even they know income splitting won’t grow the economy or create a single job. They know it won’t help ordinary Canadians.

Canada needs to ensure the middle class grows, and that we remain competitive in the global marketplace. Jim Flaherty knew that. But Mr. Harper doesn’t care. What he cares about is getting elected. This policy will not help Canadians. Instead, it will simply divide us — those who benefit from Mr. Harper’s tax break, versus the majority who don’t.

We can do much better than short-term tax breaks for the wealthy. We can introduce benefits that actually help the middle-class, and those folks who want to join it. We can strengthen Canada’s retirement security. And smart investments in infrastructure and innovation will create jobs and grow the economy. That’s how we can make a surplus really work for Canadians. We can build a Canada that is competitive, innovative and prosperous.

Most of all, we can build a Canada that provides opportunity for all Canadians, not just those the prime minister needs to vote for his party.

Justin Trudeau is the Member of Parliament for Papineau riding and leader of the Liberal Party of Canada.

Message 26 of 48
latest reply

Conservatives have their plan, the NDP theirs which is stolen from the Libs and Justin no plan just critisism. Well give him time maybe he's working on it. He should be going after the NDP plan but that would look bad.

Message 27 of 48
latest reply

PS: forgot to mention Pierre BCE common stock on a tear lately while the rest of the market sucks, trading over 51 today. How are your preferred doing, moving up in concert?

Message 28 of 48
latest reply

@art-in-the-making wrote:

Splitting still seems fair and natural to me.

I agree with you there too - but it only works if you're wearing your blinkers and ignore the bigger picture. Income splitting gives a large benefit to people, 99.9% of whom honestly don't need it, and gives nothing to people who do need it. All financed by the country at large. In the context of the larger picture, it makes no sense at all.

Look, the only reason I contributed to THIS discussion about a subject I have opinion of is that someone makes a compelling argument of the opposite. I am open to explanation. Stating that I have blinkers and ignore the big picture (aka that I am stupid) and that it makes no sense is really not an argument but trolling (= make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.)

So please! Do. Explain.

Message 29 of 48
latest reply

I wonder how many on here that think this is a bad thing are pension splitting to save money and think that is a good thing ?

Message 30 of 48
latest reply

Some people feel income splitting is responsible for all the problems this society has. Well, we did not have income splitting yet and we have issues: massive pay disparities, social injustice, markets deformation by over-regulation, government wasting - they all lead to wealth inequality (rich getting richer and poor getting poorer).

I have read the study and have to agree that stay at home mom provides higher value in services to the household than both partners working so it seems the households with one partner staying at home should be taxed more.

But why one person earns $40k and another $250k?

And finally, if anyone feels that income splitting is unfair, why not simply attack progressive tax bands instead? Maybe income over 136,270 should not be taxed by 29% but 35%. I am quite positive majority of Canadians would not object.

Close-up the inequalities between physical and legal persons, why corporations are taxed much less than physical persons? People are starting to call this era corporate fascism.  You have mega income and want to protect it from taxation? Incorporate.

And btw. those families who make $30k/person need those $250 in tax savings more than rich ones need the $4000 tax savings. Every $100 helps. Rich folks already use accounting tricks and loopholes to get taxed less.

Message 31 of 48
latest reply

Those that are against income splitting do not have to apply for it !
Message 32 of 48
latest reply

dipmicro, as you point out, there are many imbalances in society unduly benefiting the extremely wealthy and to a lesser degree the well off in general.

I think the reason people are critiquing income splitting right now is that it was just announced and is a current hot button issue. Considering that even Jim Flaherty opposed the original Harper income splitting concept that would have been a huge windfall for the most wealthy at major expense to the country.

Other issues such as low corporate taxation vs personal, tax dodges in general, less progressive taxation scales, pay inequality, renegotiating pension benefits, etc. are equally deserving of criticism and I for one will gladly join in any such discussion.

*btw the blinker comment was totally intended in a generic sense nothing personal (sorry!): Income splitting does have an effect of creating fairness amongst a few taxpayers in a certain very limited way but this effect is very small in comparison to the extreme overall regressive effect it has.That's without even considering the unpaid value of a stay-at-home spouse

Message 33 of 48
latest reply

Aw but Davca they will and some are likely seniors and have been income splitting since it was anounced for seniors in 2007. Another Stevie goodie!

Are you in that category Art, Les, Pierre?

Message 34 of 48
latest reply

Here's the nuts and bolts of the senior plan.

http://retirehappy.ca/income-splitting-strategies-in/

Message 35 of 48
latest reply

"Are you in that category Art, Les, Pierre?"

NO.  We are both seniors but do not require income splitting for tax purposes. 

Over the years, we have planned our financial affairs so there would be no need for such "you are here today, you may be done tomorrow" tax gimmicks.

I think the point most "centrists" (Reform partisans call them "leftists") are trying to make is that there are just so many billions of dollars the government can give back to taxpayers.  The Harper government - since taking power - has clearly favoured large foreign corporations and high income earners.

Many Canadians feel that the money used for those tax breaks could have been used differently to improve the quality of life of all Canadians instead of concentrating on those who do not really need tax breaks.  It has nothing to do with individuals using or not using specific tax breaks instituted by the current or previous governments. 

Sometimes, one must look at the "big picture" to better understand the needs of the country and its citizens.

Message 36 of 48
latest reply

For the first time in Canadian history, more than half of the federal government’s revenue in 2014 will come from personal income taxes -- a vivid sign that Canada’s tax burden is slowly shifting away from corporations and onto consumers.

It’s the apparent result of successive Liberal and Conservative governments that have cut corporate taxes far more aggressively than they have cut personal income taxes, while increasing “hidden taxes” that mostly impact low-income and middle-income workers.

The federal corporate tax rate has been nearly cut in half since 2000 -- from 28 per cent at the turn of the century to 15 per cent in 2012. The Harper government boasts that this will give Canadian corporations the lowest tax rate on new investment of any G7 country.

Personal income taxes, on the other hand, have remained at more or less steady levels through this time. The lowest tax bracket, which now applies on incomes below $42,706, has fallen slightly to 15 per cent today from 17 per cent in 2000. The top marginal tax rate has stayed the same, at 29 per cent.

Which is why -- according to an analysis of recent government data by economist Toby Sanger -- Canadians’ personal income taxes will account for more than half of government revenue next year. That’s up from only 30 per cent five decades ago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11/24/corporate-personal-taxes-canada_n_4333694.html

Message 37 of 48
latest reply

Aw but Davca they will and some are likely seniors and have been income splitting since it was anounced for seniors in 2007. Another Stevie goodie!

Are you in that category Art, Les, Pierre?

No.

Message 38 of 48
latest reply

Our leader in China

Bombardier Commercial Aircraft announced today that China's sole specialized regional airline, China Express Airlines (China Express), is the previously announced unidentified customer that had placed a firm order for 16 CRJ900 NextGen regional jets and had taken options for eight additional airliners of the same type. This purchase agreement was initially announced on June 30, 2014.

The announcement was made today in Beijing, in the presence of His Excellency Li Keqiang, Premier, People's Republic of China; The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada.

Marketwire

crj900_1.jpg

Message 39 of 48
latest reply

I smell an early election.  Harper is starting t hand out the candy.  Either that or he doesn't realize that Halloween is over.  

Message 40 of 48
latest reply