This may be going against the grain but....

I love the new ebay(especially since they are tweeking the new feedback system)! I am able to differentiate myself from other sellers and reap the rewards in FVF credit. I have had to make changes and improve communication issues that we all have. Overall I am very pleased. Good sales, repeat customers, lower fees, great feedback.
I have been upgraded again to silver PS status again after losing it last month.
I put alot of the success lately on a short email I send to all my customers. It may not be totally correct in some eyes but does the job. It reads....

PLEASE READ AND SAVE THIS EMAIL.

Hi. Thanks for your purchase. Your item has shipped. The tracking # is cx000000000ca and can be accessed at canadapost.ca
I often get emails from customers asking about the whereabouts of their packages. Your item is coming from Newfoundland Canada, and if you live in the USA normally takes 15 BUSINESS days to arrive due to the fact it has to clear US customs. In Canada normally 7 business days. The tracking/shipping info is usually also found as a link in the “order details” of the sale in “My Ebay” and “Paypal”. Packages are scanned by Canada Post but will not be scanned by US customs or USPS until the item goes out for delivery.
I appreciate your patience.

I strive for a perfect 5 star rating and strong positive feedback on all of my sales. If you find that I didn’t meet your expectations to leave this, please let me know.

If you have any questions PLEASE contact me.

All The Best
Andrew/buckingham303

Any others out there with the same positive attitude?
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Good morning Andrew.

Welcome to a rather exclusive club - sellers relatively happy with the fee/policies changes announced by eBay earlier this year. Not too many of us!

While many sellers are negatively affected on the short term by some of the changes, I also believe most "good" sellers will benefit on the long term.

The February change in fees - elimination of the gallery fee, reduction in listing fees, introduction of a F/VF rebate program for PowerSellers achieving a superior level of buyer satisfaction as expressed by DSRs offset by higher FVF should benefit as many sellers as it cost others. On balance, the changes save me over $2,500 a year in eBay fees (based on the same sales volume). The recent increase in FVF rebate from 15% to 20% is most welcome. 🙂

The policy changes by PayPal potentially withholding payment for up to 21 days will not affect most sellers other than those with "risky" transactions. It is not a factor for most of us.

Giving better exposure to items offered by sellers with higher DSRs and less exposure to items offered by sellers with lower DSRs will obviously benefit those of us with superior DSRs. The message is quite simple: you want better exposure: improve the perception your buyers have of the transaction with you.

The change in feedback where the rating will not positively reflect repeat buyers is quite good for sellers who have developped over the years a consistent repeat business on eBay.

The change in feedback percentage including neutral as negative went into effect in May and will be eliminated in August.

The elimination of feedback by sellers is a good thing as too many buyers were not posting deserved negative feedback in fear of retaliation.

Nothing is perfect and no changes will satisfy everyone. However, on balance, I am satisfied with the changes in direction and believe they will lead to more buyer's satisfaction. And all sellers benefit. .
Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

I notice that both of you sell light items, one of you sells comic books, the other sells stamps.

I wonder what sellers who need to ship 1kg+ items think about the DSR system. If they are hit with worse DSRs than either of you, does that mean that the system is differentiating the good from the bad?

Blanket statements based on personal anecdotal evidence are fun. As of today, the 30-Day eBay average is 4.74, 4.69, 4.58, and 4.55. My 3-Day rating is 4.96, 4.90, 4.77, and 4.71. Most of my items range from 500g to under 2kg. What are your numbers for comparison?

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

While about 40% of my shipments are in #8 envelopes, about 60% are in larger envelopes or parcels (I sell a lot of 1.4kg catalogues costing from $7 to $19 within Canada/USA).

I have noticed no change in feedback or DSRs with catalogues or collections (also $10 to $15 postage).

Even when I make a mistake (at least once a week) and ship the wrong item, a stamp is missing or damaged, these errors have not damaged by feedback ratings nor DSRs. .
Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

All of my sales weigh a MINIMUM of 700grams. One graded (CGC) book weighs about 500grams. The rest is packaging material and I do combine shipping for multiple sales.
I also ship the items through Canada post's Expedited service. On more expensive items I will ship Xpress.
My sales normally range in price between $15-$550. Have sold some for cheaper and some for more. My market is 90% in the U.S.

Sorry Magisterrex but I think your point is mute with me, as my items seem to weigh as much as yours.
Andrew
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

But what are your 30-Day DSRs as of TODAY?

700g to ship a comic book? Sorry, don't see it. And, Pierre, are you suggesting that 40% of your sales are in a weight class exceeding 1kg?

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

I sell graded (slabbed in plastic) comics/collectibles.
My 30-day dsr's are 5.0, 4.99, 4.95, 4.9.

Andrew
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Excellent DSRs!

BTW, I have been accused of "drinking the koolaid" and being an eBay "cheerleader" in the past (on the US PS Board). I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I think that there are many factors that go into the DSR calculation besides what has been presented, such as the nature of the market segment you're selling in, the collectibles vs consumables argument, the age demographic (assumed maturity level)...

For instance, I notice that most of the larger video game sellers have lower DSRs these days. Why is that?

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

You are right. Many of my buyers are older and buy these collectibles as investments. That being said, my dsr rating picked up when I improved my communication with my customers.

Andrew
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

magisterrex - your posts seem to assume feedback rating and DSRs are directly related to the weight of items being shipped.

That assumption is wrong. It will only take you a few minutes to check other sellers of similar goods.

Their DSRs will range from 4.5 to 5.0. If the weight of the items shipped were that relevant, all stamp dealers and card sellers would show DSRs of 4.9 and 5.0. That is not the case.

No, the grass is NOT greener next door. Every industry, every product group has its own challenges.

Feedback ratings and DSRs are in direct relation to the satisfactory level expressed by buyers - their perception of a transaction.

If a collector in California pays $19 to receive a $35 catalogue and is happy with every aspect of the transaction, he will leave 5.0 across the board.

On the other hand of the spectrum, if a collector in Toronto purchases a small stamp set for $1.50 and pays US$2.00 postage and handling he will still leave 5.0 across the board despite the fact he is being charged more for postage than for the product and the stamp on the envelope shows $0.52 while he paid US$2.00

There is much more to providing customer satisfaction than the cost of shipping. My customers know that. :-) .
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Well I don't think MAGISTERREX is exagerating. I don't sell any light weight products(maybe 5%). I sell mostly high end rare and exclusive products($$$) that are heavy and expensive in shipping. I have been selling on EBAY since 2001 and with always excellent feedback and repeat custumers(and very good selling Or I wouldn't be selling anymore on EBAY). Now since 1 month DSR has gone down and of course placement on Ebay search has gone down =(and lower sales).

I guess I am a "BAD SELLER" with HIGH SHIPPING RATES . I should maybe think of offering FREE SHIPPING(THIS IS EBAY'S SOLUTION TO GET HIGHER PLACEMENT & ALSO INDICATE IN AUCTIONS TO LEAVE 5 STAR RATINGS).

But strangely we have 2 physical retail stores(since 1995) located in Montreal and website store doing good. and we have MANY REPEAT CUSTOMERS and we SELL these same items + many more on regular basis with excellent success.

WELL AGAIN I AM A "VERY VERY BAD SELLER TO EBAY STANDARD". And I don't know what customer service is and probably don't know how to package PORCELAIN STATUES and other fragile items (we get maybe less 1% damages per year).

Frustration, Frustration !

Frederic
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

your posts seem to assume feedback rating and DSRs are directly related to the weight of items being shipped.

Not at all. As I've already stated, there are many factors that go into the DSR rating system. Weight class is a factor which works in conjunction with the demographic of the category. As others have found out, the older collectible market segment tends to be more forgiving (perhaps as they are more educated on what to expect) than the casual buyer.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Oh Pierre,

So by reading our feedback I guess we are offering bad service with a product not as advertised(not quick ,etc.). Strangely we have better rates then Canada Post and regular UPS because we sell in volume BUT still we are getting burnt with the SHIPPING COST(DSR). The other 3 DSR are high.(good product description,communition et shipping delay).

BUT in our auction pages we do indicate clearly shipping cost in black & white. So yes it might be expensive(no hidden secret and same price or better then our Canadian competitors on and off Ebay) REMEMBER we can't send a porcelain/resin statue in an envelop for $1.00 has to be well packaged in styro foam and good carton box (ALSO we have prefered shipping rates).

We are getting burnt with the SHIPPING AND HANDLING COST DSR. Can you explain this and not to compare it with shipping a stamp or comic book (BETTER DON'T COMPARE APPLES AND ORANGES)?

If am wrong I am ready to take advise to improve our shipping methodes.

Sincerely,

Frederic

Frederic
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

"So by reading our feedback I guess we are offering bad service "

????

Why imply words that have not been written.

Your feedback rating is 100% (disregarding neutral which will no longer be counted by eBay as of next month).

Any potential buyer seeing 100% would think you have an outstanding reputation. Even the current 99.3% (includes neutral) is well above average.

Why would anyone think you are a bad seller? .
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

I am considered a "Bad Seller" to EBay's standard because of low DSR rating on "SHIPPING AND HANDLING COST". We have been lowered on the Best Match results (see other 2 post we wrote earlier).

Frederic
Message 15 of 29
latest reply

"We have been lowered on the Best Match results "

Does it really affect you?

Most of your items are rather exclusive. If I look for a Tintin Lunch bad for example, only one is offered: yours.

I honestly think too much emphasis is placed on Best Match. Since most of your items are store inventory items in any case, Best Match does not apply.

Also, with so many relatively exclusive items, with over 75% of them offered at $20 and up, would it not make sense to increase the selling price by a few dollars and reduce the shipping charge by the same amount? This may help your buyers express a higher degree of overall satisfaction through higher DSRs. .
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Also, with so many relatively exclusive items, with over 75% of them offered at $20 and up, would it not make sense to increase the selling price by a few dollars and reduce the shipping charge by the same amount? This may help your buyers express a higher degree of overall satisfaction through higher DSRs.

This advice only increase's eBay coffers. Better yet, reduce the shipping price and increase the selling price to double that of the shipping reduction. An extension of this is the FREE SHIPPING but more expensive starting price option. A very potent sales device to use during any of the listing sales. Just make sure you're increasing well beyond what your shipping price was. Buyer behavior being what it is on eBay, it won't matter what your sell price is - only your shipping cost.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

faerywishes
Community Member
Ebay is teaching buyers that we should provide shipping or next to no shipping by asking them to rate our shipping fees. As well teaching US buyers that they should receive all packages within 5 days.

It's up to us to teach them that is incorrect by providing the correct info. It can be a bit time consuming at first but it is worth it. My monthly shipping time dsr for May was 4.3 for June I got it up to 4.6. I did this by communication. Every auto preference we can send out I sent out with the info as well as sending a leaflet with the order stating when I received their payment and when I sent it. If it was a weekend I explained why there was no shipping. I also include Canada Posts website.

I personally send them a email with tracking info and when they should receive it.

My communication dsr was always pretty good, bit this increased as well to my surprise.

As a very active buyer on Ebay as well, I want the best deal possible and if your shipping makes sense to me then I give all 5's.

Some in here say well if you don't like the shipping don't buy from the seller. If I am getting a great deal all the way around I will buy but truthfully I will not give that seller a 5, I will give a 4. I'm not so stupid as to pay something outrageous for shipping. I have also at times asked the seller if they could lower their shipping for me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I totally agree with Best Match. At first I was stressed about it and thought it was effecting my sales. Bottom line it wasn't and my traffic increased by 25%. Summer is a slower time for many in here so it's really hard to say what effects all these new changes are having.

I used to get about 4 non payers a month, then when the changes came I got 3-4 a week. This month I've had 1.

If you buy into Best Match, Low Shipping etc to get your sales, you won't suceed as well because your focus is in the wrong place. The changes are here, do what you can to make the best of it.

Our complaining has had some effect, neutrals will no longer count as of next month. So I'll get back my 100%. Guess what, I learned I can do really well at 99.2%. So in a way I'm glad it happened because I was always so focused on my 100%. It takes all the metrics to suceed not just 1 or 2.
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

faerywishes
Community Member
I totally agree with Best Match.
Sorry I meant to say I totally agree with Pierre about Best Match. There are so many factors being used to do the Best Match that you'll drive yourself nuts trying to attain it.

In fact before it started being mentioned about the changes I had never used it in any of my searches when I wanted something. And I still don't.
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

faerywishes
Community Member
marsu450

I just went and looked at your listings. Why aren't you able to send in the flat rate shipping box? Right now at $17.99 for the US. You could even put a sturdier box inside that one if you felt it wasn't sturdy enough.

You should be making enough off the sale of the item to pay for shipping material costs.

You don't really have any competition in Ebay.ca(1 other shop with a handful of items) so it would make sense to charge a little more on the item and a little less on the shipping.
Message 20 of 29
latest reply