Too many Canadians don't know about eBay

Has anyone else on eBay Canada noticed that not a lot of Canadians don't even know about eBay and have never even heard of it?  I have talked to many people and they either don't know about it or they have heard of it but are too afraid of buying on it.  I wish eBay would start an add campaign in Canada to let people know how great eBay is!

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

That doesn't even make sense.

1)  I have no idea when ebay.ca was introduced nor do I care.  Not relevant.

2)  Successful Canadian sellers absorb shipping costs and bury it in item price so a non-issue as well.

3) No one has ever limited the discussion to New Canadian made items.

4) What does buying from China for resale have to do with anything?

5)  Monday Morning Quarterback?

Once Again:  If listing on ebay.ca in Canadian dollars for our particular items boosted Canadian sales to a point that mattered we would all have been doing that long ago.

Message 21 of 82
latest reply

"If listing on ebay.ca in Canadian dollars for our particular items boosted Canadian sales to a point that mattered "

It does.  Try it. Your Canadian sales will increase.

Message 22 of 82
latest reply

OK.

I will try it once again.  It hasn't worked for me in the past, but it's easy to do so why not?

Maybe something has changed and my sales need a boost.

It would be interesting if a few other sellers do the same and then we can report here and then take a look at the results.

Message 23 of 82
latest reply

I listed several items on eBay.ca in Canadian dollars and the listings look exactly the same.

How do you get them to show in Canadian dollars?

Message 24 of 82
latest reply

"How do you get them to show in Canadian dollars?"

???

If the currency of the listing is Cdn$, they will show in Cdn$ on eBay.ca

and in Cdn$ with the approximate US$ equivalent on eBay.com

For example:

on eBay.ca: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390920388254&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

on eBay.com http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390920388254&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Message 25 of 82
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"If listing on ebay.ca in Canadian dollars for our particular items boosted Canadian sales to a point that mattered "

It does.  Try it. Your Canadian sales will increase.

As I mentioned earlier, this may be true for sellers in your situation but I don't think this is the right answer for Canadian sellers who aren't selling items that have a particular "Canadiana" appeal.  For those selling items of general interest, it may mean an increase in Canadian sales, but at what cost

The cost (from Canadian sellers' viewpoint) might be losing a whole lot of US buyers.  For Canadian sellers whose business relies heavily on US sales, a switch to listing in $Cdn could be dangerous.

Here's the real problem: if a seller has items that can't realistically be separated into "Canadian-interest" products and "general interest" products, allowing them to be listed in different currencies ($Cdn for Canadian-interest items, and $US for the rest), then listing even a significant portion of a seller's items in $Cdn has the potential of turning off a whole lot of American buyers.  Who among us Cdn sellers of general-interest products is willing to take that risk if our businesses already benefit primarily from US sales? 

There is of course an argument to be made that $Cdn prices will (at least currently) look good to US buyers due to the currency differential, but would that extra 5% or so make up for the reluctance on the part of US buyers to purchase in another currency?  I think not.  It's an accepted notion that Americans prefer the familiarity of $US prices (even though currency equivalences are shown by eBay on listings). 

If this weren't so, then eBay wouldn't encourage Canadian sellers to list in $US to increase overall sales.  Even a lot of general-interest European sellers I've bought from - and especially the experienced ones - list in $US, not their native currency. 

I think you have to recognize that you are in a "sweet spot" in your particular eBay business, having a selection of items that are of special interest to Canadians, as well as other items of interest to just about anyone, anywhere.  That permits you the rather unique advantage (and luxury) of being able to choose to list many of your items in $Cdn without the potential of alienating other buyers. 

Accordingly, I would say that your advice to sellers to list in $Cdn in order to increase Canadian sales must be given with a strong caveat, i.e. only if a seller has items of special interest to Canadians, or is willing to risk losing US buyers in order to court Canadian buyers.  I think most sellers would not be in that position.  Many who sell such items as stamps, books, postcards, Canadian memorabilia or Canadian militaria, might want to give it a try, but for the rest of us, it could be exactly the wrong strategy.

So, again, what isthe solution for Canadian sellers of general-interest products to appeal to Canadian buyers and increase their Canadian sales without sacrificing US (or other international sales)?  I personally thought it might be free domestic shipping on a lot of items (nope!), or frequent discount sales (nope!), or being particularly solicitous and communicative with any Canadian buyers I did get (nope!), or using promotional shipping for multiple purchases (nope!).

As I said earlier, in my opinion, the solution to this particular dilemma lies in eBay's purview.  I'm sure you know that I don't often put blame squarely on eBay for seller issues.  However, if they really wanted to, they have the money and the means to market strategically to Canadians to buy on eBay.ca from Canadian sellers (or at least to educate them on how to find Canadian sellers on eBay.com). 

The question in my mind is: why haven't they/aren't they doing it?  Could it be that they prefer to ultimately phase out eBay.ca?  Or, as I said previously, is there a bigger benefit to eBay in having Canadian shoppers buy from US sellers on eBay?  Food for thought...

Message 26 of 82
latest reply

Not Happening for me.

The listings look exactly the same.

I'll try again using the eBay listing tool.  It's not working with Third Party Service.

Now it's starting to be work.

Message 27 of 82
latest reply

@holdmygold2 wrote:

OK.

I will try it once again.  It hasn't worked for me in the past, but it's easy to do so why not?

Maybe something has changed and my sales need a boost.

It would be interesting if a few other sellers do the same and then we can report here and then take a look at the results.

You might want to read through my entire post #26 in this thread and consider whether you still want to try it (unless you're selling products that have special appeal to Canadians only).

I sell items of general interest (i.e. non-Canadian specific).  Listing in $US has worked for me in increasing overall sales, and in developing my US market, so why would I risk losing my US customers on an unsubstantiated experiment? 

I'd think it over carefully before going ahead on anything but a limited basis.

Message 28 of 82
latest reply

"might be losing a whole lot of US buyers"

That could be true if Canadian sellers had lots of sales from the American market.

However, these boards are full of messages from Canadian sellers telling us they can hardly sell to the USA for a wide variety of reason.

What I am suggesting is to try it if your sales are slow (as many sellers claim).

If your sales are booming, you are doing something right, your market loves your stuff and you do not need to change a thing..

Message 29 of 82
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"might be losing a whole lot of US buyers"

"That could be true if Canadian sellers had lots of sales from the American market.

However, these boards are full of messages from Canadian sellers telling us they can hardly sell to the USA for a wide variety of reason."

My impression is just the opposite -- that a lot of Canadian sellers rely heavily on US sales, and those are the ones for whom risking putting off US customers by listing in $Cdn could be a serious mistake.  It would be interesting to actually have some statistics on this. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"What I am suggesting is to try it if your sales are slow (as many sellers claim).

If your sales are booming, you are doing something right, your market loves your stuff and you do not need to change a thing."..

I think it could actually be suicide to try such an experiment at this time (i.e. when sales are slow) for any sellers who rely on US buyers.  I don't see many sellers reporting that their sales are booming at the moment, quite the reverse.  Many of us can't afford to lose even a few of those US sales by tinkering with listing currencies. 

In fact, I'd wait until my sales were booming before conducting an experiment in listing in $Cdn.  At least then any loss of American sales might not be so serious. 

Message 30 of 82
latest reply

Ebay's own claim, that has been there for ages, is only "Listings in US$ will attract more interest from US buyers and on average are 15% more likely to sell."    That has been there as far back as I can remember, back when things were very different.  When a lot of payments weren't paypal (Americans had no feasible way to mail CAN$) , when the CAN$ was far lower, when there were fewer Canadians buying here, when CP rates to the USA were reasonable, before shipping was displayed in the search, and when much of the fees were front loaded.  So "15% more likely to sell" was actually meaningful (all that meant was if it took 7 listings for a sale, ebay claimed it would take 8 in $CAN).  Now no one pays listing fees so that doesn't even matter even if the outdated claim "15% more likely to sell" was still true   

The notion americans won't buy in CAN$, let alone overseas ones that pay the same to convert either way is just wrong.  Everyone sees the price in their local currency the same way we do.  

Message 31 of 82
latest reply

rose:  All of my listings and especially those priced over $200 should have very strong and special appeal to Canadians.

WHY you ask?  🙂

Canadian buyers risk getting dinged for taxes over $20 (which I don't add) AND now there's the GSP to contend with when they buy from the US, and yet they continue to do so.

That's why I don't understand my lack of Canadian buyers.

I have enough to go around for both sites and can easily rotate if there is some reason to do so.

Thing Is:  I don't buy that listing on .ca in Canadian $s works either, but I'm more than willing to try once again.............. but so far the listings look exactly the same.

Message 32 of 82
latest reply

You do have some valid points there, at least where prior years are concerned, but eBay continues to encourage listing in $US.  Whether the motive is to increase sales (which I would hope), or some other purpose known only to eBay, we'll never discover.

Nonetheless, there is considerable market research indicating that Americans prefer to see goods listed in $US.  As I said, this seems to be the case even where currency equivalencies are shown (such as on eBay listings).  Americans like things that are familiar as American, and by listing a price in a currency other than $US is adding an unnecessary deterrent if you already know most of your buyers are going to be in the US.  It just doesn't make sense to deliberately avoid making everything as easy and familiar as possible for your biggest market.

Now, in Pierre's situation it does make sense, since he probably knows he'll have a greater market for his Canadian stamps in Canada, and likely he's listing those items in $Cdn for the same reason -- to appeal to and accommodate his target buyers. 

I simply don't see any reason to "shoot myself in the foot" as an experiment if I know most of my buyers are in the US anyway.  This obviously will be different for sellers who traditionally sell largely to Canadian buyers.  But I'm not in that category, and I wonder whether the OP is.

One other factor that should be considered is whether listing in $Cdn may at certain times be a disadvantage for US sales, i.e. if the $Cdn rises much above the $US.  Seeing a $100 item listed in $Cdn and shown as, say, $105 US may be enough to turn off a US buyer.  The alternative is to be frequently shifting back and forth between listing in $Cdn and in $US depending on the relative currency rates -- not a good strategy, in my view.

Lastly, one advantage to sellers in listing in $US while the $Cdn is lower is paying your expenses in $Cdn.  For me, that can mean being able to offer a decent shipping "subsidy" to my US buyers, thus encouraging sales by competitive pricing. 

Message 33 of 82
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

The notion americans won't buy in CAN$, let alone overseas ones that pay the same to convert either way is just wrong.  Everyone sees the price in their local currency the same way we do.  

Again, I think it comes down to "what" you sell.  For instance, cosmetics tend to attract a lot of young buyers, as do certain items of clothing, entertainment, electronics, etc.  My intention is not to offend; however, when it comes to young American buyers, I do not believe they would take even a fraction of a second to try to determine what an item will cost them in U.S. dollars or even notice what the American equivalent is.  As soon as they see CAD, they might as well be looking at Chinese yen.  They have many texts to send and receive and no time to look at things listed in CAD.

This is based on many e-mails I receive from buyers who, as nice as they sound, know very little about Canada or Canadian dollars.  My favourite example, which I've mentioned before, is the buyer who asked if her item would be arriving by plane or ship LOL.

Now Pierre, no doubt, along with many other sellers, have great success with listing in CAD.  I'm probably stereotyping but I'm assuming that many of his buyers, if not most, are older and more patient (wouldn't you have to be if you're working with a stamp collection).  I admit I know very little about stamp collecting, but it seems like it would be a very laborious hobby.

I don't think this would work with the instant gratfication culture of Gen X'ers and Millenials.

Message 34 of 82
latest reply

eBay.ca staff current opinion:

"Although we don't have any recent publicly available data and nor do we have any of this broken down by category, we are 100% confident that listing in USD is a far better option for any seller who offers shipping to the USA."

We are all entitled to an opinion, are we not?

Message 35 of 82
latest reply

@holdmygold2 wrote:

rose:  All of my listings and especially those priced over $200 should have very strong and special appeal to Canadians.

WHY you ask?  🙂

Canadian buyers risk getting dinged for taxes over $20 (which I don't add) AND now there's the GSP to contend with when they buy from the US, and yet they continue to do so.

That's why I don't understand my lack of Canadian buyers.

I have enough to go around for both sites and can easily rotate if there is some reason to do so.

Thing Is:  I don't buy that listing on .ca in Canadian $s works either, but I'm more than willing to try once again.............. but so far the listings look exactly the same.

Well, you sound as if you're in a fortunate position if you have items that will appeal particularly to Canadians, as well as items of general appeal. 

You have a good point about the $20 import limit and the GSP.  I've wondered the same things about why my efforts to draw in Canadian buyers haven't worked either (free shipping, special discounts for Cdns, etc.). 

With the GSP though, I think a lot of Canadian eBay buyers have learned to ask US sellers to opt out, but I'm sure it must be having an affect on the number of Canadians that US sellers get.  The $20 import limit is a bit of a moving target -- I've regularly had parcels valued at over $100 come in from the US completely tax-free.  In fact it seems these days that CBSA doesn't bother much with anything under $150. 

I think there's something else at play here, and I still believe it's the fact that Canadians traditionally see the US market as their "go-to" place to shop, whether online or in person (if they're close to the US border).  How do we change that?  That is the $60 million question every Canadian retailer has been trying to answer for the last 100 years! Woman Very Happy

If you have a line of products that will appeal to Canadians in particular, it might be worth a try to list them in $Cdn for a while -- I'd be interested to know your results after a few weeks, although it won't make much difference in my own situation.  I'm getting a lot of exposure in the US market, so much so that it wouldn't be an advantage to me to turn away from it at the moment. 

Message 36 of 82
latest reply

rose:  I didn't mean that my items are any different from those of others.

What I meant is that ALL higher priced items in Canada have special appeal to Canadians if sellers are not charging tax because of potential import issues.

If that's not enough to get them to buy in Canada, then I doubt that anything is.

Clearly there is more going on and now we're right back where we started from way back in the "other" thread.

In any case, I'm more than willing to try selling on .ca in Canadian dollars too if there is some point to it.

Why Not?  ...........

Message 37 of 82
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Good One!

Message 38 of 82
latest reply

It only takes a few minutes to confirm that "toby" lists and sells in Canadian dollars, items of interest to a worldwide audience, mostly the younger crowd I would guess. And his sales volume appears to be just fine!  Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 82
latest reply

@holdmygold2 wrote:

rose:  I didn't mean that my items are any different from those of others.

What I meant is that ALL higher priced items in Canada have special appeal to Canadians if sellers are not charging tax because of potential import issues.

OK, I see what you're getting at.  I think it would depend on what you mean by higher-priced.  As I said, I do a fair amount of buying from the US (not always on eBay), and I rarely get anything "dinged" by CBSA that's under $150. 

If you're thinking of things worth more than, say, $200 US, you could be right.  However, many of my US buyers have told me that items I've sold that were significantly over their $200 limit still got through without duties/taxes. 

So, as a "thought experiment", what might be the effect of listing, let's say an item that you value at $500(Cdn) in $Cdn?  I suppose it depends mostly on the demand you believe will be there in the market in Canada. 

My experience has been that there are more buyers in the US with that kind of money to spend than there are in Canada.  Even as a proportion, population-wise, that has to be the case.  However, if you listed the item at the present time, when the $Cdn is around $0.95 to $0.98 US, then your $500 Cdn listing might look pretty good to US buyers -- at least those who don't mind seeing the exchange conversion shown on the listing.  So it's possible you could end up actually attracting more US buyers when listing high-priced items in $Cdn -- if the US buyers get past the unfamiliarity factor.

Canadian buyers, on the other hand, as you say, would take import charges into account, and that $500 Cdn price might look pretty good.  But here again, I think it depends on the availability of the same kind of item from US sellers, and at what price.  If a US seller could offer a comparable item for $400 with comparable shipping costs, then there would be little to choose between the two.  Except -- which item would the Canadian buyer be likely to see first? 

And that's what I think the problem is -- Canadians aren't looking to Canadian sellers first and foremost on eBay.  That's where eBay.ca could do some work (IMHO)! Smiley Happy 

Message 40 of 82
latest reply