UPS problem, again :(

i received an invoice today (feb 24th, 05)from ups saying that i owe them $65 for an item that i shipped to Belgium on Oct 11, 2005; it doesn't say what it is for but i guess is for custom related charges.
why are we responsible for import charges and why an invoice only after 4 months?
what to do 😞
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

mtfman
Community Member
That's because whom you shipped the item too declined paying the duty charges on the item. When you ship with FEDEX and UPS you agree, that if they decline the duty charges you will pay them. It's in your agreement when you open an account with them

MTF
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I don't have an account with UPS, I already paid $61 for shipping a 1 lb package.
That's what they say in order to expedite the shipping and let the shipper foot the bill instead.
They should not have deliver the package until the receiver pays or pick up but that will delay the delivery and driver would spent more time.
Why should or would an exporter/shipper pay the import charges? It's an absolutely RIP-OFF! A scam in order to improve their bottom line and efficiency at our expense.
Just because they say so does not mean it's right!!
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

It's not a scam it's just slightly shady.

This is basically how EVERY shipping company works (Post Offices not included). In the fine print any charges the consignee does not pay will be charged back to the shipper.

Of course most companies would rather collect the money on the spot and avoid the hassle but UPS is not one of them. They generally don't even inform the recipient at delivery that an additional charge will be billed later.

When shipping International via UPS or FedEx it's best to include the brokerage charge in your handling total and send the package "free domicile" (all charges billed to shipper). I'm not really sure what the situation is with duties and taxes you may need to find out about these as well to be completely covered.

The easiest solution is to only ship via Canada Post, only ship under $200 (UPS Ground to USA is has no brokerage charge if value under US$200) or use something like FedEx Premium service where the brokerage charges are included (I think UPS Express is also that way).

Ben
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
If you don't have an account with them, don't pay the bill. It will go away.

Monique

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If you don't have an account with them, don't pay the bill. It will go away

If you operate as a company it will probably "go away", if you operate under your personal name it will also go away BUT will likely appear on your credit report eventually as a "default".

- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
BUT will likely appear on your credit report eventually as a "default".

You may be right, but I think it is unlikely.

I have been in a dispute with the 407 over a bill from 1996 for 9 years now. Yep, it's on my credit report. Nope, never caused me a problem or affected the interest rates offered on my mortgage or car loans.

If you have excellent credit than something like this doesn't even register. Particularly if your flag the "default" as a disputed claim. My bank manager told me that most lenders view "defaults" of this type as credit blackmail, which is essentially what they are.

Monique

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Talk about adding insult to an injury. I paid $61 for a 1 lb shipping, received an unjust invoice for $65 four months later and now i am subject to a credit rating default?
Credit blackmail for sure, just like a fido account i had 2.5 years ago. I cancelled it within 15 days, paid the difference; they sent me a collection letter this past December threatening to take further legal action, claiming that i still owe them $12.00.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

edmsna
Community Member
Research what the total charges will be and charge your customers up front and ship free domicile. If you ship a lot to other countries, you can negotiate the charges duty charges with UPS. You can also ship air and UPS only charges for government tax.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I posted last December regarding UPS charging me a $40+ processing fee on a $100 item i purchased from the US that's not subject to dutie or tax, i covered my nose and paid the charge back then.
Today (after 3 months) i received a call from UPS saying the charges did not go through and want me to pay up again!
They wasted so much of my time i think i am going to be sick 😞
Message 10 of 10
latest reply