Wind Turbines a scourge on Ontario

valve37
Community Member

Some comments on a Free Press article:

Keep telling yourself that these magical machines have no footprint. Keep telling yourself that there is not impact to the land when they pour concrete and steel to create the base, keep telling yourself that they are self lubricating, keep telling yourself that running access roads through farm land has no environmental impact. Clean indeed.

I hope these same farmers do not want money to take them down when they are broken and run down.This whole wind thing is taking up thousands of acres of prime farm land. Something the greenies would never allow for any other industry.

If the Liberals feel it does not disturb anyone, causes no harm and it is a great idea put one near Wynne's home, One next to Deb Mathews home, One near Mcguinty home they can prove in couple years to all of us how good it is. Put their health where they mouth is.

More clean energy eh! All the while, we have to accept this energy on days we don't require it and curtail the flow of real clean energy at Niagara falls by restricting flow of water over the turbines. Wake up will yea.

Maybe clean but NOT FREE Doobie you and you kids and their kids will be paying for this scandal for many years, Too bad you are not informed enough to realize the return on investment will make the turbine company richer and you poorer, save your money because your smart meters are smarter than you

how in th e world do you claim this as "clean" energy. If any other project consumed this much land to produce so little, unreliable energy, all of the greenies would be up in arms, Just ask some of the folks around Mitchell's Bay what happened to their well water when they started to drive the piles into the bed rock, something that has been kept quiet.

Excellent news! Declining property values, rising electricity rates, more dead birds and bats. Don't whine that it's clean energy, we all know it isn't.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Wind Turbines a scourge on Ontario

Oh person of little knowledge. A council cannot close a property down, but they can TAKE THE LICENSE AWAY and then the property owner is OUT OF BUSINESS and if they are out of business then they have little option but to close down and probably MOVE.

You had better check that knowledge of how things can work when unscrupulous people put their minds to it, before accusing me of lying. Understand.

Photobucket
Message 21 of 47
latest reply

First of all no First Nations want a wind turbine on their land, so why invent a scenario that is not happening. Oh, that's right, it's for your agenda. Try to stick to facts instead.

No a person does not have a right to do anything on their property that takes away the enjoyment of the property of others. This is why they have things called zoning and land use, it protects others from the greed and lack of conscience of others. I'm sure if someone decided to start a liquid manure plant right next to you, or a new city dump, you would be all for it. My guess is you would be the first one down at city hall complaining.

Photobucket
Message 22 of 47
latest reply

I am not aligned with any party, but our political system needs massive changing. Dispose of the party system. Elect your representative based on the person and not the party. Have a separate vote for the Premier or PM.

That's just for starters.

Photobucket
Message 23 of 47
latest reply

Sorry you are wrong. sometimes you should admit you know little on the facts of licencing and zoning regulations

Message 24 of 47
latest reply

AGAIN WRONG--if the property is zoned for it go for it. In fact 90% of the houses in my area are on land zoned Commercial. Anybody want to build a mall right beside me go for it. It's their land !

Message 25 of 47
latest reply

So you believe that anyone has the right to do anything on their property that takes away the enjoyment of the property of others? Interesting. I think a few million people would disagree with you on that.

When it comes to farm land where turbines are to be located, not only is the farm land not zoned for these things (it's FARM land for growing crops and raising livestock not the production of electricity), but the neighbors and even the municipalities that do not want these monsters in their back yards are being FORCED to have them. But it seems that is ok with you. Maybe if they put one beside your apartment building, or beside your home and you watched your property value dive, then you would see things much differently. Until then, as long as it's happening to someone else, it's not a big problem.

Photobucket
Message 26 of 47
latest reply

If you love the stuff, then have it built in your backyard! If you live in the city, you should be demanding that they build them on the high-rise roof tops, in the industrial areas, but they are a blight on the rural landscape!!! I thought I would like them...how wrong I was!!! There is NOTHING environmentally friendly about that garbage whatsoever...AND....it is extremely expensive! Now Ontario has the highest power rates in Canada! It will only get worse! It is completely undemocratic for the government to place this industrial garbage in communities that don't want it! Everyone talks about NIMBYism...well,I if the folks living in the cities want wind generators, then let them be built in the cities!!!

Message 27 of 47
latest reply

If you think it has to be built somewhere, then let them be built in the cities...much more practical!!!

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

What you state about properties around airports is very disingenuous...the airports were there longer than the homes built around them! It is fools that have bought the properties and now complain. I absolutely agree that the democratic process in Ontario and in Canada has been hijacked by the likes of McGuinty and his cohorts!

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

COMPLETELY AGREE!!!

Message 30 of 47
latest reply

I CATEGORICALLY AGREE!!!!

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

I completely agree with you Norbkaus. C'omon Wynne sign a contract to put 50 or more along the Toronto Lake Ontario shoreline. Why should rural folks have all the pleasure on their landscape as well as free electricity. Off to work now some of us still have to!
"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 32 of 47
latest reply

LOL.

Someone sounds a little mad that liberals are winning in Ontario. I love it.

Message 33 of 47
latest reply

Conservatives care so much about the turbines ruining Canada's beauty. How about this?

tarsands.jpg

What a beauty!.

Common sense goes a long way. LMAO.

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

Those oil sands as well as providing thousands of high paying jobs fuel the Federal and Provincial coffers through royalties so that you and I can enjoy a better standard of living. However many like you have blinders on. In contrast the Wynne turbines line the pockets of those landowners that allow them to be built while the rest of us are faced with the highest electricity rates in Canada fueled by the embedded subsidies.
Message 35 of 47
latest reply

"Wynne turbines"

Why refer to wind power as "Wynne turbines"?

Wind power is becoming a large power producer all over Europe where folks have a better understanding of the damages done to our planet by constantly wasting fossil fuels.

I am not against the Tar Sands (or Oil Sands as you can them) but one should be happy some of our provincial governments take steps to preserve our world for future generations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_the_European_Union

Of course wind power costs more than burning cheap coal or tar sands.  There is more to life than a few dollars.

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

Oh now its about profit?. LOL.

I thought it was about these turbines ruining our oh so beautiful Canada?. That has been your argument here. You were just trying to pit rural vs city people against each other using that as an argument.

So either you are not capable of thinking or you really dont care about Canada at all. Which one is it valve?. lol...

Message 37 of 47
latest reply

"Those oil sands as well as providing thousands of high paying jobs fuel the Federal and Provincial coffers through royalties so that you and I can enjoy a better standard of living."

Yeah you are right. We are living like saudi kings because of the tar sands.

Message 38 of 47
latest reply

"Those oil sands as well as providing thousands of high paying jobs fuel the Federal and Provincial coffers through royalties so that you and I can enjoy a better standard of living. "

You make it sound so good.

I just took a look at the audited financial statements for Canadian Oil Sands Limited (December 31, 2013).

Going into the Notes from the auditors (#9) I find this gem:

The amounts shown on the Consolidated Balance Sheets as deferred taxes represent the differences between the
accounting and tax values of assets and liabilities and/or the timing differences arising when revenues or expenses are
included in accounting income in one period and taxable income in a different period. These temporary differences are
tax..."

"...effected using enacted or substantively enacted tax rates expected to apply when the temporary differences reverse...".

OK let's take a look at the numbers.  Straight from the financial statements notes from the auditors:

"The $1,535,000,000 deferred tax liability includes $33 million related to temporary differences that are expected to reverse in 2014"

Folks that is over one and half billion dollars that has not been received in the coffers of the governments so "we can enjoy a better standard of living"

And that is only one company.  Care to check the rest of the big guys in the oil sand area?

Message 39 of 47
latest reply

Deferred taxes are the operative words. Doen't mean they won't get paid. As well most companies carry deferred taxes maybe even BCE. Individuals should be allowed to record depreiation on their personal residence thereby lowering property taxes in any chosen year. I must suggest that to my Party! LOL
Message 40 of 47
latest reply