bidding item listed in Can.$, but bid and its switched to US funds.Same as Payment.

Buying from fashion jewellery section. Item is listed in Can$, but when I bid its listed in U.S. $. Or as of just recently I bought 3 items in Canadian$, go to pay for it through pay pal and its in US $. same amount in Canadian ,But I have to now pay that amount in US funds??? There's a big difference for us Canadians our dollar is only worth approx. .73 US. Also  I'm not happy with seller posting like this its not right at all. .Many sellers r doing this.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: bidding item listed in Can.$, but bid and its switche...

A good many Canadian sellers list in USD on ebay.ca (not me for the reasons you cite) but what you may be seeing may be instead based on misunderstanding. Are you certain you were logged into ebay.ca at the time? It's easy to end up on ebay.com by mistake, as Americans often some to this board to ask why they have a Canadian flag on top of every page and what do they need to get rid of it. 

Can you supply a listing number as an example of that which you speak? 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

ecently I bought 3 items in Canadian$, go to pay for it through pay pal and its in US $. same amount in Canadian ,

Could be farfetched, but if  a US seller using the GSP was found on dotCA, could the 30% or so difference be the import fees and service charge?

My arithmetic is not up to this.

The listing number would help a lot with finding an explanation.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I have now learned to take photos of listings in Canadian funds, of which I am expecting to pay as the listing says. It's at point of seconds before and after the auction that I watch the funds switching before my eyes. Doesn't matter if I'm on EBay.ca or EBay..com it's listed in a nomination that has CAD beside it. Looks like I'm bidding in Canadian Funds? It's the seller that is switching it to US funds. A very fraudulant practice. Happening from buying fashion jewellery from China/ Hong Kong sellers.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If you are logged into ebay.ca it was always show you CAD equivalent but that doesn't mean the seller has listed it in CAD. A Chinese seller will probably never list their item in CAD. You are likely looking at the CAD equivalent on a USD-listed created on ebay.com and viewed on CAD. That's the reason it switches the way you think it does. Supply a listing where you have seen this happen and the experienced members here will be able to tell you in an instant the currency under which it was originally listed. The clues are apparent for those who know what to look for.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply