import charges

rodm1975
Community Member

I saw a few things I wanted like all purpose fax copy paper and shipping was almost 20-30$ how does the post office know I paid the cost for importing  thanks  if they try to make me pay more what do I do??? or courier if the shipper goes that way? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

import charges

If you were looking at items with the GSP shipping, the the import route does not involve the Post Office.

If you are looking at non GSP items the seller sticks a label on the outside of the package to say what you paid.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

import charges

Some things are not worth buying (or selling ) by mail order.

An item like printer paper which is heavy and bulky but relatively low value would be one of those.

I think the last package I bought at Staples was about $8. and a check of their website shows a 5000 sheet box at $50.96.

Canadians owe Sales Tax and possibly duty on any import valued over $20CDN (~$16USD) and most shippers will also charge a service fee for wrangling the shipment through customs.

Pitney Bowes /Global Shipping Program is one of the lowest a ~$5 USD. Canada Post charges $9.95CDN.

Canada Post and CBSA rarely bother to assess small and inexpensive imports, figuring that it would cost more to do the assessment than could possibly be collected.

As a result many Canadians don't realize how low the duty-free allowance is.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

import charges

OK I will keep eyes on Staples thanks::: 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply