shipping- the perennial debate

phoenix_top_drawer
Community Member
Hello,

We're working at trying to set up a shipping program that can handle our sales from the tiny to ridiculously oddly shaped to large furniture. Canada Post will likely still be a major part of that but, for example, UPS has done some good work on stuff we've shipped through Mail Boxes Etc.

My question is- what is the best way to open up a dialogue with UPS and other carriers, primarily to the US. I've spent a number of hours on hold or talking to customer service reps at call centres. How do I get to speak to someone fairly high up the food chain at these places?
Any collective or singular wisdom you might offer on carriers would be much appreciated. I'm also wondering what prevailing wisdom is on the performance and cost effectiveness of various carriers.

Thanks

Brad

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

scouttech-outfitters
Community Member
In regards to odd shaped items,

I used Canada Posts automated online shipping system I have products of all different odd shapes and sizes and have never had any problems shipping them out.

As long as they are within Canada Posts weight regulations.

This would work fine with your bed if you can take it apart and put in in a large box. There are many shipping supplies companies that would send reps right to your place of business to reccomend products for you.

If you need to send large items in one piece such as dressors and beds I would contact a specialized shipping company in your area. If people can ship cars, jets and houses you should have no problems shipping a large piece of furniture.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Brad,

Call UPS at 1-800-742-5877. Get to a clerk by pressing "0". Tell the clerk that you would like to speak with a salesperson regarding getting a volume discount for your business. They will ask a bunch of questions regarding how much you ship, etc. Then they will have the sales rep for your area call you within a few days to set up a meeting.

Can't help you with Purolator, they wouldn't return my calls. LOL

Monique

Monique

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Has anyone had experience with discounted FedEx accounts? Their shipping rates in Canada are already ~50% cheaper than UPS rates...posted rates vs posted rates.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Big discounts exists at FedEx I know of one company which get 65% (yes 65%) off posted rates. They do have huge volume so I don't imagine you'll get that kind of a discount. In general the biggest discounts only apply to Air Service not Ground.

I rarely use FedEx but I once had a minor bit of a problem with a shipment to the USA, to compensate for my "trouble" the counter clerk offered me a 40% discount.

Ben

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The trouble with Canada Post for me is the max $1000 insurance to the US. I haven't shipped anything "import feeable" to the US using FedEx Ground as I was told early on that they charge import fees to the shipper for US bound shipments from Canada...I need to call them tomorrow to confirm this...that's rather stupid since they do it the other way coming into Canada. Seems they want to make us Canadian bend over whether we're importing or exporting.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

phoenix:
1) what service do you use for shipping furniture?

2) I agree with Monique. Get a sales rep, and get an agreement. More volume, more benefits and better pricing.

Angelo
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

phoenix_top_drawer
Community Member
Hi Angelo,

Finding a carrier to ship furniture is the issue right now.
We have a ready source of supply at a price point that seems to work for the states but we don't yet have a proper fulfilment strategy. We've been kind of surprised at the reticence of carriers to do this kind of work. Actually it's been a hair puller.
Thanks
Brad
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Even though I now have an account with UPS and ship 95% of my stuff out through them, I still ship my large pieces out Purolator.

If you are shipping large pieces that would cube out much higher than their actual weight, go to Purolator on-line. Ship through the on-line process and pay in advance, on-line, via credit card. You will have to register, but DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT OR CALL THEM FOR A PICK-UP.

You can enter just the actual weight of an item and never pay the cube. I've been doing this for a year and have never received an audit.

Monique

Monique

Message 9 of 9
latest reply