March GTC Update. Charges & Cancellations.

tyler@ebay

First, thanks for all your help around the forums. Smiley Happy

Second, as you can probably tell, heh, this new GTC issue has myself and many others concerned.

Can you please explain how the new GTC mandate is to function?

The Update FAQ's say:

• "When a Good ‘Til Cancelled listing is cancelled, it will not be automatically relisted."
  • And, "Any listings that are not ended before the 30-day renewal will either be counted toward your next month's free listing allotment or will incur the standard insertion fee based on your eBay Store subscription level."

If the new GTC style listing is cancelled will it end prior to its original chosen duration or continue to the end of its original duration (ie. 30-day) ?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @tryubik-useonlyasdirected 

Happy to clarify! 

A GTC listing ends as soon as you cancel the listing. It would move to your unsold section and await your choice to relist it for sale.

If a GTC listing renews it will use an insertion fee credit or charge an applicable fee if you no longer have any fee credits remaining for the month.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

tyler@ebay

Thank you for the clarification.

Is there a way to end a listing at the end of its paid for duration?

From the eBay Website: "Listings end in whole-day increments from the listing's start time, so if you submit your listing at 1:14pm on Sunday and select a 3-day listing, it will end at exactly 1:14 pm on Wednesday."

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Hi @tryubik-useonlyasdirected - you can 'end' the listing by going through your active listing screen, but there is not a way to schedule the cancellation of a GTC listing at this point in time. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

I have not used GTC in over 2 years so not entirely familiar with its workings. With GTC listings do we still qualify for that fun and anticipated email confirmation? I use those to track my listings so I don't go over my quota and also as a backup to make sure I don't inadvertently list an item twice. Hey, it happens. Ebay does not always catch doubles!!!

Thanks,

-Lotz

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

there is no notice when an item rolls over every 30 days, only the initial notice when you list the item for the first time...

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

@esclyons 

Thanks. That is what I thought. Maybe if we were to get either an email per listing or a bulk email daily we could go in after and fix the problems that we would not be seeing doing it ourselves. Adding/Removing notes...Updating prices...Modifying shipping options.....

-Lotz

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Nor an ability to end the listing at the end of the paid amount. Yet...

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not pleased that our fixed priced listings will be GTC.  What is the real reasons for that?

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

EBay is claiming this will put more of our listings into Google (and similar) Searches, since it takes some time for Google to spot them.
And the more often a Google user makes that Search, the higher the listing will appear in Google.

Which is the opposite of what happens when we have a slow-selling item on eBay, where it drops in Search if there are few views/purchases.

They are not mentioning that careless or busy sellers will miss the turnover date and be charged a fee for the relist.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

tyler@ebay

On the eBay "Canceling a Listing Page" it states, “Ending listings early disappoints bidders, so we may place limits and restrictions on your account if you are doing so regularly.

Does this mean if we chose to end forced-GTC listings early, as you suggest, and not go over our zero-rated amount of listings a month our accounts could be penalized?

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Can a GTC be stopped from relisting using the remove automatic relisting automation rule? (And thus run its current 30 day cycle without renewal?)

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

tyler@ebay  I've only had to end listings a couple of times, and if memory serves me, I had to end them one at a time. Is this the case, or will we be able to end multiple listings at the same time.  If so could you please provide a link to the current valid instructions, or give me (us) a quick overview of the steps to take. 

Never Mind...I found it on the Active Listings Page - select items - Click on Actions - Select End

Not sure why I didn't see that before. I'm sure I ended up doing them one at a time. 

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

So if we pay for a 30 day period. We are being told to either end a listing before 30 days is up or pay twice?

How is that legal? The 30-Days is already paid. If you have an annual store subscription and cancel early (lets say on the 16th of the month) your store ends at the end of the month, the date you are paid up 'Til.

If that's the case a listing is being misrepresented. To get 30-days one must pay twice the charge or use two zero-insertion credits?

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

Can a GTC be stopped from relisting using the remove automatic relisting automation rule? (And thus run its current 30 day cycle without renewal?)

Hi @tryubik-useonlyasdirected - no. Automation rules are for members wanting to automatically relist fixed price listings in durations other than Good Til Cancelled, or auction style listings. With the roll out of this change it will really only be applicable to set up automatic relisting for auction-listings. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 31
latest reply

tyler@ebay

On the eBay "Canceling a Listing Page" it states, “Ending listings early disappoints bidders, so we may place limits and restrictions on your account if you are doing so regularly.

Does this mean if we chose to end forced-GTC listings early, as you suggest, and not go over our zero-rated amount of listings a month our accounts could be penalized?

Hi @tryubik-useonlyasdirected - I have never encountered a situation where a member had negative repercussions on their account for ending fixed price listings early. Should this happen to anyone I would like to get more detail so I can take a closer look at what's happened.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Thanks tyler@ebay for helping sort what options we will have as sellers in the future.

With GTC then 1, 3, 7, 10 and 30 day listings are being eliminated? Or is GTC a 30-day listing auto-renewal?

How can eBay advertises to buyers that a GTC listing ends in 30 days if it ends *whenever*? I get a lot of interest near the end and often get purchases on the last day.

If listing will now have to be manually ended prior to the 30-day renewal to not incur overage charges what method is being proposed for sellers to track their inventory and to be aware of what charges may or may not be on their monthly bill?

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Thanks tyler@ebay for helping sort what options we will have as sellers in the future.

With GTC then 1, 3, 7, 10 and 30 day listings are being eliminated? Or is GTC a 30-day listing auto-renewal?

How can eBay advertises to buyers that a GTC listing ends in 30 days if it ends *whenever*? I get a lot of interest near the end and often get purchases on the last day.

If listing will now have to be manually ended prior to the 30-day renewal to not incur overage charges what method is being proposed for sellers to track their inventory and to be aware of what charges may or may not be on their monthly bill?

Hi @tryubik-useonlyasdirected - this change will leave the only duration option for fixed price listings as 'Good Til Cancelled', so all other durations for fixed price listing are being removed. 

Good 'Til Cancelled listings renew automatically every 30 days until all of the items sell*, you end the listing, or we end your listing.  Upon renewal, it retains the same item number, quantity,  watchers and view counts. It still counts down that 30 day time period for buyers to promote their interest, sends reminders that items are 'ending soon' and would show up in an 'ending soonest' search filter. 

*If you enable the 'Out of Stock' option on your account, your GTC listings that hit 0 quantity would remain live on site but removed from search so you can update their quantity and return them to search without losing the sales history or views. If it is not enabled, a GTC listing that sells out of quantity would act as sold listings do now. 

**Edit to add: I don't currently have any information on additional tools being made available for you to identify this other than to sort your Active Listings in Seller Hub by the 'Time left' column. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything different. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

tyler@ebay

I'm confused. A GTC does or doesn't have a set listing duration? (ie. “Listings end in whole-day increments from the listing's start time, so if you submit your listing at 1:14pm on Sunday and select a 3-day listing, it will end at exactly 1:14 pm on Wednesday.”)

And what does, "or we end your listing" mean? Are we told when a listing won't be renewed?

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

There are two periods involved.

The GTC listing will renew forever (unless cancelled or sold).

Fees are paid every 30 days.

If a GTC listing is left up for a year, the seller would pay $4.20 in listing fees at 35 cents a month. (Or obviously less if the seller has a Store or fewer than the 50 free listings.)

The tricky bit is confusion over whether we will pay the listing fees every 30 days or every month since not every month has  30 days.

Further, GTC listings tend to drift lower in Search after the first couple of days listing and rise in Search before the last couple of days listing. But I really don't want to try to explain Search without an emotional support animal nearby.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply