Item not shipped from Calgary but from China

I ordered a shaving set as the seller indicated the item was being

shipped from Calgary.  Free shipping.  I paid several dollars more as I did not wish to order the same item shipped from China.  I now find that the item is in fact being shipped from China and not Calgary.  How can they  use false claims like this ?   Should they be reported

to Ebay ?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Item not shipped from Calgary but from China

Yes.

You can report the listing as Incorrect Location.

Note that a single Report will be recorded, but nothing much done about it, because the reporter could be a vigilante, a competitor, or just plain wrong.

But they do pay attention when they receive multiple reports from multiple members.

Feedback is not used by eBay to measure a member's account.

However, you have 60 days from purchase to leave feedback. Mark that date on your calendar.

When you receive the item, or before the 60 days are up, you can leave appropriate feedback.

I would suggest  a neutral "Item okay Shipped from China Slow delivery"  OR negative "Garbage shipped from China not Calgary" depending on delivery time and quality of goods.

You can also open a Not As Described dispute for 30 days after delivery.

This may mean returning the item, but the seller will be required to pay for that.

If he doesn't, you will be refunded. If he does, when the tracking shows delivery, you will be refunded.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@15westcoast 

Sadly there are a number of sellers in Canada "getting away" with this. The only way you find out is by placing and order and THEN realized it's a misleading location. You can wait for the item to eventually show up or you can "try" to find a seller closer that meets your needs and delivery time. There needs to be some sort of distinct note where an item is being shipping from exactly (City - Not just Canada)  and the service being used or available. None of this Free Standard Shipping or the dreaded and just as evil International Priority Mail with everything from the USA. 

-Lotz

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I very much agree with your remarks on location. Particularly for Canadians, who pay import fees on anything valued over $20.

I must disagree that vague shipping descriptions are bad. They are necessary. 

With over 178 postal systems in the Universal Postal Union, each describing their services with different names (and often different languages), those vague terms are helpful.

The delivery period is much more important than what the seller/shipper names the shipping service.

If it will take over 30 days to arrive from Asia or 20 days from North America, don't buy.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

As a side note, if suddenly your item arrives with for example a courier you may be on the hook for unexpected customs clearance charges which can be substantial compared to Canadapost economical charge or  GSP, where its prepaid. Best surprise is no surprise.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

Mostly referencing North American sellers. With Canadapost it's either regular, expedited, xpresspost or letter. USA really has a small grab bag to choose from. This way buyers will have a much better idea on real delivery time. Ebay's posted estimates are shot in the dark at best.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

There are ten services available, some of them incredibly expensive.

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/MailServices?country=10054&ccode=CA&oz=90210&omil=False&dz=k1a%...

Most US sellers seem to default to the high priced Priority shipping, but First Class International Package at the bottom of the list also offer Confirmation of Delivery to Canada.

USPS is a little sneaky in that they start with the most expensive service. Brownie points to Canada Post who start with the cheapest.

Huh. I just noticed that for one pound four ounces, FCIP costs $17.25US.  The equivalent for Canada Post would be Tracked Packet at ~$14.76US (for less than a kilo). Interesting.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

First class would work perfectly for most low priced smaller items. Used to be very easy to find sellers in USA making specific options available. Now, not so much. As you stated they default to Priority but based on delivery times it appears its an upsell for profits. Some will by request offer that service but as of late they seem to be few and far between. What I never really got was how so many in the USA can sell an item with free shipping to the Continental USA but then update the shipping to a Canadian mailing address and suddenly the postage skyrockets. And anyone that sells with volume should qualify for some sort of a discount. Maybe subsidize shipping to Canada a little bit? Hmm, just floating ideas. Shipping to Canada really isn't that complicated with all the various mailing tools they have available to them.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

yes here in Canada this is a major problem & it has been for decades where E bay refuses to crack down on this fraud however I have just found that if you click on the user / seller it will say where the seller is based so now I double check & will ask the seller if the Item is locally shipped if I see them claiming its local when they are based in another country.

its to get in the habit of it because it is hidden & sellers location along with item location is not clearly indicated on the item page as it needs to be. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Although not foolproof, if you have doubts about whether a seller is a bona fide Canadian seller, click the username and it will tell you where the person registered.

Although there are legit sellers who are registered in Hong Kong/China but have a local warehouse, it's not common.

Avoid sellers whose location is CA, Canada or just a generic city or province. Those of us who sell usually put our postal code in our profile which eBay will parse. Mine starts with V4C which makes it Delta, and that shows on my auctions.

Also look out for weird shipping costs, like $2. $2 won't ship anything but letters in Canada unless it's something small that can be flattened. So if you are buying a coffee cup for example, for $5 and shipping is $2.49 I would say it's coming from China because the economics just don't work for Canada.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

What I never really got was how so many in the USA can sell an item with free shipping to the Continental USA but ...to a Canadian mailing address ... the postage skyrockets.

Domestic (lower 48) shipping is very cheap in the USA.

I used 90210 to 80210 and 1lb4oz to play with the rate card and got this:

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/MailServices?country=0&ccode=US&oz=90210&omil=False&dz=80210&dm...

The lowest price for that package (ignoring Media Mail) is $7.90 and I believe that includes tracking.

This does not include any discounts that might be available through Paypal or Stamps.com or the like.

If you play with the rate card yourself (Go To-> Domestic in the tool bar) letter rates are even cheaper. https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/Notice123.pdf

Also:  good ol' American paranoia and xenophobia.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Recent purchase shipping  from Toronto. Item shows delivery by "Standard Delivery". Estimated delivery Fri, Dec 13 - Mon, Dec 30.  Figure should be 5 to 7 days for Calgary. Item was shipped the same day. After several emails tracking updated when it arrived in Calgary showing by Dynamex...Delivery by 9 pm tonight.  In trying to contact Dynamex you are put on hold and left to die so no way to make sure it is not "safe dropped." After reviewing feedback appears item actually ships from Amazon.  See below for a few other  recent experiences dealing with dynamex.

Ordered Dec. 3. Was told every day from Dec. 6 it would be shipped that day by 9pm. Stayed home ALL WEEK. Today the new estimated delivery is DEC. 20!!!!! 17 days! None of my items are out of stock, they are all in Tforce's possession! They are Christmas gifts, some of which I have to then mail out but can't if they arrive on Dec. 20. I've had to rebuy the gifts, in person, then when and if they do arrive I'll have to return them. 17 days in Tforce's possession. That's theft.

Purchased off amazon, they used Dynamex. Second complaint in just a few weeks, courier leaves my parcel on my sidewalk ignoring safe drop box bin he stepped over, leaves my front gate wide open for everyone to see my parcel on the sidewalk. All caught on my camera. Terrible delivery service, avoid using if you can.

Truthfully if I would have known upfront that seller used Dynamex I would not have ordered based on past several experiences and customer service when they were used in work related environments. This is why it is important for N. American sellers to clearly state how an item is being shipped.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

From the eBay Help Pages:

Why do I need to specify the location of the item in my listing?

Buyers like to know where the item is being shipped from as it helps to give them an idea of how much shipping will cost and how long it might take for the item to arrive. Having an inaccurate item location can cause confusion and lead to a poor experience for your buyer.

-Lotz

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

There are two possible reasons for delivery by Dynamex, one is grounds for eBay to look at seller's account, the other is legit.

If the seller is abusing Prime, you will have a note saying its a gift for "Your Name"  from "Your Name".

On the other hand, Amazon does operate a fulfillment service that sellers pay for. They pay a fee and get to fulfill orders using Amazon's delivery network, and simply have the products stored at an Amazon warehouse.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@retroman_studios 

Dynamex is just is who they normally use. My only issues were that their courier of choice was not stated anywhere in the listing and the tracking was not available until the item arrived in Calgary. I made sure to leave a note on window asking for bell to be rung. The driver did ring bell but left package on edge of step in clear view. By time I got to door, the driver was already on his way. Coincidentally there were stories on 2 Calgary tv stations about how bad this was getting with items being dropped off the same and disappearing shortly thereafter. In one story they took the lighter one because they were unable to pick up the heavier one to move their car.

-Lotz

PS. My original reason from ordering from this seller was better price vs the other 2  US sellers, who were using GSP.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Regarding my previous post --- purchase from a buyer that advertised items for sale

from Calgary and in fact are actually in China.  I reported this seller to Ebay.  I suspect

nothing will happen.  I have now noticed that there are several other sites using the same

false location.  Some have " Canada  Ca"  another fake location for China.  There are a 

few that say Calgary.  Please read the feedback before you buy from these sellers.  They

usually are asking a few more dollars than the same items from China and free shipping in

order to make buyers think they will receive the item sooner than they would from China.

Not true.  Some of the feedback states that the buyer was deceived in thinking the item came from Calgary. I still have not received the item I ordered from "Calgary" after  nearly three weeks.

Just received an e-mail from the seller saying they have been contacted from the post office

and due to many parcels being delivered there may be a further delay in my delivery.  Just

bogus !  The post office would never contact anyone that has already shipped a package by

snail mail.  Anyways, I just wish Ebay would clean house with these sellers.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Why not comment on your original thread rather than a new one?

If the  listings gave a 'within Canada' delivery estimate, I would file an inr if the time is now overdue.  It doesn't help you get your item but it will perhaps make some sellers realize that they shouldn't do this.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply