Item sold for less than rejected offer

I'm curious if anyone knows how an item can sell for less than an offer that was rejected by the seller. I'd have thought that eBay wouldn't allow this to happen.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It's a possibility that the winning bidder purchased something else at the same time to get the deal. The other thing to consider is accepting or not accepting offers is entirely at the discretion of the seller. And maybe they couldn't wait any longer to sell?

-CM

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@retrobytz wrote:

I'm curious if anyone knows how an item can sell for less than an offer that was rejected by the seller. I'd have thought that eBay wouldn't allow this to happen.

Nope. An offer can have additional terms added to it  -- so eBay does not micromanage the seller's price.  Auction bidding is different from offers -- high bid is important.

If a seller has 2 or more offers (unusual) they can pick the one they want.

A seller is even allowed to make a lower counteroffer -- I did this once for a buyer who had already purchased one item and shipping both items together had big savings.

As a seller an offer price I would accept for Canada, I might refuse for another country.

-..-

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

As has been said, there are many factors that may play into a seller accepting or rejecting an offer.

Another is something as simple as free shipping on the item. Buyers are often shocked about the actual value of 'free' shipping when it is really the cost added to the item price. So if I have an item listed at $100 free domestic shipping and you, as a Canadian, make me an offer for $90 and an American who will pay their own shipping makes me an offer for $87, I can accept the lower offer and still come out ahead because the American is paying their own postage separate from the item price. 

Also, you have good and pleasant Feedback Left For Others but if a buyer makes a plump and juicy offer but I look to see how things went with his other 100 transactions with sellers and see that he/she leaves red dots 8 times of ten, I'm gonna back away slowly and then turn and run. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply