Lost trust in Ebay

Hi, events surrounding a recent transaction have made me lose trust in Ebay. Here are the details:

On March 3, I placed a bid on an item from a seller in Germany after checking the shipping cost to Canada. I won the item and paid with Paypal. The next day I received a message from the seller asking if I was prepared to pay a much higher shipping cost or cancel the purchase. I replied that it was against Ebay policy to increase the cost of shipping after an auction had ended. They didn't reply and without warning, they cancelled the order saying that the item was out of stock or damaged. Paypal reimbursed me and I left the seller negative feedback. So now when searching on Ebay, I saw that they have relisted the exact same item! When I checked their page and feedback, I noticed that my negative feedback had been removed! How is that even possible? Like I said at the beginning, I don't trust the Ebay platform anymore. How can a seller try to increase the price of shipping, cancel my order through false pretenses, and delete my negative feedback?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Lost trust in Ebay

zacharia
Community Member

Get used to it, eBay has been doing this for years

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Lost trust in Ebay

and without warning, they cancelled the order saying that the item was out of stock or damaged. Paypal reimbursed me 

So the seller got a Defect and while you were reimbursed, he still paid his PP fees on your refunded payment.

and I left the seller negative feedback.

There are actually standards for what can and cannot be said in FB. It is possible that you contravened those standards.

BTW - feedback has no effect on how eBay assesses a seller's account. The Dispute system is used as part of assessment.

Defects can lead to higher fees, limitations on the number and value of listings, or even closed accounts.

I saw that they have relisted the exact same item!

At a higher price and/or with increased shipping?

It is possible that the seller underestimated the cost of tracked Air Mail shipping to Canada from Germany and took the wrong way to cover his costs, by first trying to get you to pay more, which is not allowed without your consent , and then by using "out of stock" which gave him a Defect.

He's worse off than you.  And gets no sympathy from me or probably any other member.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply