Sales tax mass confusion

Sorry, but I'm not comfortable just assuming eBay is collecting the correct amount of tax for items I sell or buy. How can I double check their math? Can invoices override or adjust from eBay default settings? Again, I'm Looking at this as both buyer and seller. Cross border shopping is made easy using eBay, but not the sales tax / vat calculation. 
First question. The tax calculation is based solely on the address of the buyer. Correct? Some sellers don't ship from USA to Canada, or if they do they will only do so fully insured with tracking etc. I've seen items priced at $50 that cost $50 to ship, doubling my total purchase price to $100. So , living near the USA/Canada border I have a UPS box in the USA to take advantage of free or much cheaper shipping charges. So, my payment address for my credit card is in Ontario Canada. My UPS box is in New York State, the seller is in Ohio. What tax rate should I be paying and what exemptions apply? Example, clothing has different exemptions from sales tax. Bullion is non sales taxable in most if not all jurisdictions. If I have an invoice for a buyer in a state like ohio that is sales tax exempt for bullion, how can I properly invoice for say 10 items if 3 qualify as bullion? How do I know, before I bid, what rate I'm going to be charged as a buyer? Will it be my "home base" of Ontario or will it be my delivery point in New York ? HELP! 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Sales tax mass confusion

If your seller is mailing the item to New York the tax charged will be based on the NY rate. If the seller is shipping to you in Ontario via the EBay international shipping program (EIS) then your tax  rate would be for Ontario IF you were charged tax at all.   The EIS only charges tax on some items.  Listings that are going to be charged tax have a line saying that import charges will be shown at checkout in the top part of the listing.  If you don't see that wording there, I don't think you will be charged tax by eBay although you may have to pay it on delivery.

If  a US seller ships to you directly to Ontario without going  through EIS you will not be charged tax by eBay although you may be charged on delivery by Canada Post/Revenue Canada.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Sales tax mass confusion

Will it be my "home base" of Ontario or will it be my delivery point in New York ?

Sales tax is based on the destination of the shipment. So New York State.

But some counties and cities also charge sales taxes of their own.

So you may be aware of the 5% state tax but not of the 1% county tax or that the next town over charges a further 2%.

This is why many sellers are more than willing to have eBay take on the work and the responsibility.

So, my payment address for my credit card is in Ontario Canada.

Your seller will pay a surcharge for the international sale.

And you will pay a surcharge on any international sales you make.

Bullion is non sales taxable

But often the seller does not choose the bullion category for listing and the robots will charge tax.

You can appeal the charges to CBSA. The contact info is on the back of the form.

If I have an invoice for a buyer in a state like ohio that is sales tax exempt for bullion, how can I properly invoice for say 10 items if 3 qualify as bullion?

You have 10 items?

Make two invoices.

And make sure the bullion is correctly listed.

That being said, you will be charged applicable Canadian duty and sales taxes when you declare your purchases at the border.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Sales tax mass confusion

@maxmoeusa wrote:

Sorry, but I'm not comfortable just assuming eBay is collecting the correct amount of tax for items I sell or buy. How can I double check their math? Can invoices override or adjust from eBay default settings? Again, I'm Looking at this as both buyer and seller. Cross border shopping is made easy using eBay, but not the sales tax / vat calculation. 
First question. The tax calculation is based solely on the address of the buyer. Correct? Some sellers don't ship from USA to Canada, or if they do they will only do so fully insured with tracking etc. I've seen items priced at $50 that cost $50 to ship, doubling my total purchase price to $100. So , living near the USA/Canada border I have a UPS box in the USA to take advantage of free or much cheaper shipping charges. So, my payment address for my credit card is in Ontario Canada. My UPS box is in New York State, the seller is in Ohio. What tax rate should I be paying and what exemptions apply? Example, clothing has different exemptions from sales tax. Bullion is non sales taxable in most if not all jurisdictions. If I have an invoice for a buyer in a state like ohio that is sales tax exempt for bullion, how can I properly invoice for say 10 items if 3 qualify as bullion? How do I know, before I bid, what rate I'm going to be charged as a buyer? Will it be my "home base" of Ontario or will it be my delivery point in New York ? HELP! 

@maxmoeusa 

One other little tidbit eBay did not take to consideration was refunding the buyer especially after a label has been created. There is no way to correct the packing slip to relay either price discount/shipping discount/Tax or VAT that would be applicable. The amount the buyer is charged should match the customs total to the penny or whatever currency is in play. All most important when goods are shipped internationally using a courier and packslip is included as part of the customs docs.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Sales tax mass confusion

If you're not comfortable, then you should not use eBay at all.  You are not responsible for anything related to taxes if there's a problem on their end.
You are making it extremely more complicated than it really is...

Message 5 of 5
latest reply