Seller accepted offer on items, but is now showing on vacation when I attempt to contact.

I saw a few items from a buyer that I liked and decided to send offers on them. The seller accepted two of the offers, and declined for a third item.  I still wanted this third item, and the sellers page mentioned combined shipping, so I requested a total from the seller to combine shipping. I didn't hear back after a day, so I decided to message the seller (as sometimes ebay glitches and doesn't send a 'Request Total' notification). However, when I sent the message, I got an automated reply that the seller is now 'out of office' until two weeks from now. The items were a birthday gift for my dad and will arrive too late if they are being shipping two weeks from now. Additionally, the seller's page does not show them on vacation/out of office at all (under the items, or in the description). The 'out of office' is only shown when you attempt to contact the seller. 

Ultimately, what's my best course of action to resolve this? I haven't paid yet as I was waiting for an invoice with combined shipping, the seller isn't getting back to me, and I know I'll receive a strike if the seller has to cancel the items because I didn't pay. I've never had a strike before, and I'm not even sure fully how that works. I spoke to an ebay representative, and they said they should be able to remove any strikes I receive, but that seems to be leaving it up to chance. Any advice on what I should do? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Seller accepted offer on items, but is now showing on vacation when I attempt to contact.

It is possible the offers were accepted/rejected automatically.  A Seller when listing can set values to automatically reject offers if below a certain value and/or accept if above a certain value. No seller  involvement required.

In your case I would wait for a response. Any non-payment strike will disappear after a year. Strikes matter only if you have two or more.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I spoke to an ebay representative, and they said they should be able to remove any strikes I receive, but that seems to be leaving it up to chance. Any advice on what I should do?

Never trust anything you are told on the phone.

The phones are not answered by eBay employees.

Has the seller/eBay billed you?
Have you considered that the two items together may move shipping to a higher rate and the shipping charge is actually discounted?

At this point, the only choices you have are to pay the invoice, hoping the seller is actually still selling but has a policy not to answer questions.

Or not to pay, and expect the Unpaid Item Strikes.

Two of those and you will find yourself unable to buy from thousands of Sellers for the next 12 months.

You have exactly 96 hours from purchase to decide.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I actually spoke to eBay online via the chat and got the transcript, but I agree that it doesn't hold much credence. 

The shipping is definitely not pre-discounted as the 3 items combined (a diecast car and two bobbleheads) currently work out to $90 CAD in shipping alone (with the items going for a combined value of $80 CAD).  It's possible the seller has a policy to not answer questions, but they surely would have received the invoice. After all, their item descriptions mention combining shipping when requested. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

It is possible the offers were accepted/rejected automatically.  A Seller when listing can set values to automatically reject offers if below a certain value and/or accept if above a certain value. No seller  involvement required.

In your case I would wait for a response. Any non-payment strike will disappear after a year. Strikes matter only if you have two or more.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If you have never paid for any items before or within the last year, worry not.

Just do not pay, and if the Seller then contacts you explain why?

The End

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Looks like you were absolutely correct. The seller just contacted me and apologized for the vacation notice not being on the items. He canceled the order for now (as he won't be back until after my dad's birthday), and we agreed to speak about it when he comes back. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply