Seller asked me to cancel order after I won the bid

miyatir
Community Member

Good morning everyone.

I won a bid for a suitcase cover yesterday.  Before I paid, the seller sent me a message saying that he/she could not ship the item due to "adverse condition prevailing in the country". 

I asked the seller: should I pay them? When can they ship? If they can not ship, why they are still selling and there is no warning?

The seller returned my message and simply asked me to cancel the order.  Please help me what should I do in this situation.

Thank you very much.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

marnotom!
Community Member

You don't mention the seller's location and that's kind of important information.

I'm going to guess that the seller is based out of Mainland China, or at the the very least, the item's being shipped out of the People's Republic.  I suspect there's a lot of news about COVID in China that's simply not getting out there.  COVID is likely still complicating things there to a significant degree.  Then there's also the Meng Wanzhou thing, which has strained relations between China and Canada.

I'm not clear about whether your seller has sent a formal cancellation request through eBay or has merely messaged you that you should initiate a cancellation.  If they've done the former, then accept their offer to cancel.  If it's the latter, if you don't have a history of cancelling your purchases you should be able to do so with no harm to your account.  Ideally, you shouldn't have to do this, but I think this is the simplest, minimal hassle way to deal with the situation.

Then look for your suitcase cover from another seller.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Sellers can only cancel without penalty if the Buyer Requests the cancellation or if there is a Problem With Address.

Your seller is not going to supply your purchase, and you have not paid.

I'm not sure why he didn't choose Problem With Address, and leave you out of it*.

If you do not pay you will get a Strike on your buying account.

There's less to this than meets the eye. Ask him to cancel and buy elsewhere.

Not every sale goes perfectly.

*Wellll, courtesy. Letting you know what was happening before you paid simplifies the entire transaction.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

miyatir
Community Member

Thank you everyone.

I did ask the seller to cancel 2 times but his is non-responsive.  I don't want to have a Strike on my account.  So I paid yesterday.  He cancelled the order almost right away and refunded my money.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

We really need a Blocked Sellers List, like the Blocked Buyers List we can use as sellers.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply