Why did my package from the UK go to the US and not to me (Canada)? They used the GSP

I ordered someone from the UK who used the global shipping program to ship my item and i was tracking the order to see where it goes and it started with Royal Mail and then to some other shipping service. It says it delivered on the status but that just meant they delivered it to the courier who took over since he used GSP and i noticed now with this new tracking it's now in New York with Pitney Bowes. 

Why did it make its stop in NY rather than shipping directly to Canada? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Why did my package from the UK go to the US and not to me (Canada)? They used the GSP

That 'delivered' means the seller's responsibility for delivery is over.

The responsibility for delivery has been taken over by the GSP,who are very good about it.

The eIS we mention is new enough that it still has some growing pains. You may be better off with the GSP.

Funny that all three in this conversation are on the Island. I'm here in sunny Victoria.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Is  eBay UK still using the GSP and not the more recent eIS?

If they are,my first thought is that after Delivery to the UK GSP hub, it was sent to the US GSP hub,with all the other GSP shipments to NorthAmerica.

Pitney Bowes operates the GSP for  eBay.

When is your purchase due? EBay gave you a window for delivery, what is the last estimated date you were given?

Has that date passed?

NEVER FOLLOW TRACKING.

Every shipper including the Royal Mail,Canada Post and USPS, as well as every airline and trucking company, uses
"spoke and hub" delivery, which baffles most watchers.

Your package was bundled thousands of others and shipped to North America, probably the New York (city? state?) plant you see on tracking. Then it will go with hundreds of others to a plant in Canada. Then it will move with dozens of others to your province. Then with a few others to your town. And finally to you.

Watching tracking will just give you a tummyache.

Mark the last estimated date for delivery on your calendar and have faith in the system.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Yes, @reallynicestamps, the Global Shipping Program(me) is still a thing in the UK.

@mahramducky, my wife once made a purchase from Southeast Asia that was shipped by FedEx.  We're on Vancouver Island.  The item went to Alaska first, then to Seattle, then to Vancouver, then to Vancouver Island.  It probably didn't take a direct flight to Vancouver Island because FedEx's volume of shipments between that particular country and Vancouver Island is just about non-existent and one package wasn't worth a special solo plane trip.  It's likely a similar deal for your item.

And I second RNS's point that it's not usually of much benefit to keep close tabs on an item's tracking.  I used to do that.  It was kinda fun in a nerdy way.  Then I realized that it doesn't really make any difference knowing where my item goes as long as I receive it when I'm supposed to in the condition is supposed to be in.  Your mileage may vary, of course.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

so it's expected to arrive by dec.13 according to the estimated delivery. right now it just says it cleared at import gateway in new york. i guess this is normal though. this is the first time i used gsp since it came out cheaper from all the other sellers on the same item so i was worried there was a mistake. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

thanks. i am on vancouver island as well. i never used the global shipping program before but after calcuations it came out cheaper and i was worried there was gonna be a mistake here cause this made a stop in the US first. i also didn't want to wait too late to make a claim if it never showed up on time cause it says delivered already but i'll keep my hopes up that it arrives by dec.13. i'd rather a direct destination arrival so i think from now on i'll avoid this gsp thing. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

That 'delivered' means the seller's responsibility for delivery is over.

The responsibility for delivery has been taken over by the GSP,who are very good about it.

The eIS we mention is new enough that it still has some growing pains. You may be better off with the GSP.

Funny that all three in this conversation are on the Island. I'm here in sunny Victoria.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

i figured that's what it meant though if any issues arise it's still up to the seller to fix it. but i'm glad that this program is good even though it's considered a rip off for canadians but he was ultimately the cheapest altogether with the import charges included so i hope it arrives on time before christmas.

i'm in victoria too 😆 guess there's lots of us here

Message 7 of 7
latest reply