Why is there American Sellers on the Canadian side and don't ship to Canada

zip200222
Community Member

Hello!

Now has its pretty hard for me to buy on e-bay.ca when the majority are american sellers.   Why is that there is a Canadian and American side good for?    My point is, I don't want to pay customs and duties fees, right.

Now my other reason , the shipping cost.   Why is it, that if I buy just a little bottle of supplement, that weighs not much and pay, $ 25.00 of shipping, while if I buy a bunches of books and pay just about roughly the same amout.  Onless I buy from Chine , than there is no reason to buy on e-bay.

thank yoi

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

My point is, I don't want to pay customs and duties fees, right.

The duty free limit is $20Cdn (~$16USD). Anything over that may be dutiable and more importantly, will be subject to SALES TAX.

CBSA has made a (slightly illegal) policy decision to ignore more small and low value imports (under about $100) because it costs the taxpayer more to assess and process duty (and Sales Tax) than could be collected.

Your Chinese purchases were probably under the $20de minimus.

Why is it, that if I buy just a little bottle of supplement, that weighs not much and pay, $ 25.00 of shipping, while if I buy a bunches of books and pay just about roughly the same amout. 

Because that's what the USPS charges your seller for tracked international postage.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Canada charges about the same for international tracking

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

The value of the shipment has no bearing on the cost of the shipping.

Parcel rates are based on dimensions, weight, and destination.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Any American on ebay.ca will ship to Canada, yes... if not you may have transferred to a ebay.com address. Happens to me alot. If you only want Canada results because of global shipping bs and/or the higher cost of shipping refine your search to only show Canada listings, click the box on the left column. If your only trying to avoid crazy shipping prices and still want usa listings... always refine your search to show "price including shipping low to high" then you will get the lower prices first. I like this option... but it still never adds in the Global shipping import fees... so be careful of those, always read all descriptions well.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Any listing that includes shipping to Canada will be seen on eBay.ca.

Even if the seller is in the USA, or China, or Norway.

In Search, you will see the price in Canadian dollars.

When you open the listing, you will see the price in the listing currency and the approximate *price in Canadian dollars.

• Search on dotCA
  • Use List rather than Gallery
  • Look at the right side of the list. That will tell you where the seller is shipping from**
  • The List view will also give you warning that the US or UK seller is using the Global Shipping Program "Customs services and international tracking provided" is the wording.

*Because foreign exchange rates change from minute to minute.

** Usually -- some dropshippers will naively or purposely have their own location rather than the location of the item which is what is supposed to be there

Message 4 of 4
latest reply