Wrong import charges to Canada. Global Shipping Program

I'm in Canada, and bought a used automotive part for U$325 from the USA. I'm being charged U$49.04 in import charges

I can't find in any way why I'd be charged U$49.04 in import fees. It's a used part, and from a NAFTA country so I'd be paying tax, which at 13% to Ontario would be a U$42.25 import fee. If it were not NAFTA, I'd be paying 6% import fees and 13% tax, which would be U$61.75.

This is through the Global Shipping program. Why am I being overcharged and what can I do about it. I'm already being gouged on the shipping costs (sending the item in the wrong direction before it comes to me so it can get to Kentucky), and now knowing that the import fees are a scam too is really dis-satisfying. 

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Buying a clutch, I asked another seller to not use GSP. They cut $50 off my shipping with a quicker arrival date
Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@au-jjau-t1r5jxz0q1 wrote:

Buying a clutch, I asked another seller to not use GSP. They cut $50 off my shipping with a quicker arrival date.

What shipping method did they use instead?

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Not a clue.
Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Hopefully, not a courrier. You don't want them to use that. If they did, watch out for bigger fees than with GSP.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

I bought some pants for USD 27.00 (CAD36.00) on Ebay. The shipping fee was USD 12.00, great; Then I was charged on import taxes an amount of USD 17.00. There are no import taxes for goods that come into Canada from the US under the value of USD  50.00. So I guess this is just a fee that Ebay is charging from the buyer aside from the fee that they charge already from the seller. I will not buy from the US anymore, only if the seller ships through USPS. I will not agree to pay these absurd fees that GPS charges.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

@balubismom wrote:

I bought some pants for USD 27.00 (CAD36.00) on Ebay. The shipping fee was USD 12.00, great; Then I was charged on import taxes an amount of USD 17.00. There are no import taxes for goods that come into Canada from the US under the value of USD  50.00. So I guess this is just a fee that Ebay is charging from the buyer aside from the fee that they charge already from the seller. I will not buy from the US anymore, only if the seller ships through USPS. I will not agree to pay these absurd fees that GPS charges.

The official tax/duty-free limit for items sent by mail or courier is CDN$20.00, although for items sent by mail, Canada Border Services often gives a free pass to items with declared values of more than that.  Unfortunately, US$27.00 converts to well over CDN$20.00 so your pants were above the tax/duty-free limit. 

More information can be found here, although bear in mind that technically speaking, GSP items aren't sent to Canada by mail or courier:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dtytx-drttx-eng.html

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

hen I was charged on import taxes an amount of USD 17.00.

Technically, GSP charges an import fee which covers Canadian duty, Canadian SALES TAXES and a ~$5 service fee.

There are no import taxes for goods that come into Canada from the US

No.

The goods must be made in the USA (or Mexico) to qualify for NAFTA duty-free status.

under the value of USD  50.00.

Way too high.

The duty-free allowance is $20Cdn (~$16USD).

Over that amount, duty and SALES TAXES are due.

Plus the carrier's service fee (or customs brokerage fee or various other names).

So I guess this is just a fee that Ebay is charging from the buyer

No.

Pitney Bowes/GSP may give a fee to eBay for the contract,or eBay may pay PB for their services,  but most of what you are charged by GSP/PB goes to the Canadian government.

The ~$5 service fee does go to PB./GSP

If you have proof that this is not happening, I'm sure CBSA would be interested since they are ultimately in charge of assessing and collecting duty on imports.

It's a poor program, poorly designed, and a tossup whether it was explained worse to buyers or to sellers.

It is not a benefit to buyers.

It is a Seller Protection Program.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 29 of 29
latest reply