eBay closed a case without refunding me return shipping (Item not fit description)

I bought an item that does not fit description and arrived broken. So I opened a return request. The seller took a week before telling me that I could probably buy the return shipping label, and it would be refunded together. So I shipped with myself purchasing return shipping.

A few days after the item had been delivered, the seller still did not refund me. So I opened a case. eBay quickly resolved the case and refunded me item value + original shipping. But where the hell is my return shipping cost? This is not a buyer remorse, and I should not pay out of my own pocket to return a piece of trash.

What do you guys do in this situation? I would appreciate some help. Thank you.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

eBay closed a case without refunding me return shipping (Item not fit description)

Was the seller international or domestic? Regardless, you’ll have to call eBay Customer Service.

Returns for Not As Described must start with the buyer opening a formal Returns case in order to best avoid situations such as this. The seller is obligated to pay return postage and if they can’t send a label they are supposed to send funds for the purchase of one. eBay can’t take their money away to do that but they can offer you something like a one-time coupon to use here of the same value.

Report back if you encounter further problems.
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

According to their return policy, you are entitled to being reimbursed the shipping cost if the item was not as described.

It was even worse for me. I got an item that wasn't as described AND paid for the return shipping. I didn't even get a refund for my item, and they closed the case. Now I lost the money for the item and the return shipping, and I don't even have the item anymore. I always thought that eBay was fairly safe for buying things these days, but I guess I was wrong.
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Did you open case and upload tracking that shows the Return was delivered? The MoneyBack Guarantee is fair and enforced; the only time cases fail is when procedures aren’t followed and then you have to call customer service to intervene.
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I didn't have any tracking information since the item was sent through the post and I returned it immediately in the same packaging. The seller claimed it wasn't returned and eBay sided with them
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Yes, that's the drawback.

EBay (and Paypal ) require Proof of Delivery to authorize a refund.

This is why some unhappy buyers just live with their bad purchase: it costs too much to return the item with tracking.

Particularly internationally.

It's something buyers of cheap items from overseas* sellers have to be ready to accept.

A percentage of the items you buy will not be acceptable, and it will be too expensive to return them.

The cheapest overseas tracked shipping is $33.36 - and that only carries 100 grams.

And some countries cannot support tracking once the item gets to their borders.

So if you buy a $10 Aplle smartphone from Uzbekistan, and it doesn't work, you have learned  $10 life lesson.

Many non-US** sellers do not use any form of tracking for the same reason unhappy buyers don't return unwanted items.

It is just too expensive.

Instead, we put a little aside for the occasional failed transaction, and ship without even crossing our fingers, because we have confidence in our products, the postal system is very good at its job, and most people are honest in their complaints.

*in particular, but the same problem can arise with domestic or US sellers, given the cost of Canada Post shipping.

**The USPS offers very cheap tracking.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

The seller was obligated to pay the cost of postage with tracking that shows delivered; did the seller tell you to send it back by lettermail?
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

No, I did the refund through the eBay mobile app for which conveyed that inputting tracking details was optional. I didn't have any contact with the seller
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I think my Words of Wisdom from a Grouchy Old Woman should be updated to include "Never do anything financial on a phone."

I include tapping with a phone to pay for anything.

old man yells at cloud.jpg

the eBay mobile app .... conveyed that inputting tracking details was optional.

This is like the eBay giving Sellers the option to refuse returns.

Many use it thinking that it means they don't have to give refunds.

It doesn't work like that.

I hope you didn't lose too much money.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Fortunately it was only 8 dollars. That being said it's very disappointing that eBay's buyer protection "thing" isn't as reliable as I've been led to believe.

This could easily be prevented if they just required you to add a tracking number when making a return request.
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Yes making it an option is useless.

tyler@ebay

Although an honest seller (some of us are!) would refund on return anyway.

And on an $8 item, or even a $20 item, it is sometimes more expensive to track domestically than it is to track to the USA. The lowest tracking cost is $17.07 for a 100 gram paperback Nationally, and $14.24 to the USA.

This is why eBay wants sellers to pay for return shipping. Which is also difficult, though not impossible, internationally.

It involves sending the cost of postage to the unhappy buyer.

And the dishonest (or too proud to admit error) seller will not trust the buyer to complete the return.

But eBay won't work on he said/she said. They always want proof of delivery.

In the same way, sellers have to accept that if we ship without tracking we are going to be vulnerable to false non-delivery claims.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Yes making it an option is useless.

tyler@ebay

Although an honest seller (some of us are!) would refund on return anyway.

And on an $8 item, or even a $20 item, it is sometimes more expensive to track domestically than it is to track to the USA. The lowest tracking cost is $17.07 for a 100 gram paperback Nationally, and $14.24 to the USA.

This is why eBay wants sellers to pay for return shipping. Which is also difficult, though not impossible, internationally.

It involves sending the cost of postage to the unhappy buyer.

And the dishonest (or too proud to admit error) seller will not trust the buyer to complete the return.

But eBay won't work on he said/she said. They always want proof of delivery.

In the same way, sellers have to accept that if we ship without tracking we are going to be vulnerable to false non-delivery claims.

Thanks for the tag @reallynicestamps

Hi @kymc2124-272fvv - do you remember if you purchased the return postage through eBay? Typically in a return situation where we ask you to provide shipping we provide an option through the return to purchase a label that would have tracking. Otherwise there is a section for you to include return tracking info (if you provide your own label). 

Without some type of evidence to support that the seller got the item back, we would find in the seller's favor if it was escalated to us. Although I understand that that may not have been super applicable here (why spend $17 just to get an $8 refund), I want to make sure that this was handled properly. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

I did not purchase the postage via eBay. I wasn't even aware that was possible from the return process I went through on the mobile app.

It's likely that the reason this happened is because I accidentally chose an inappropriate reason for the return: it was "doesn't fit" instead of "item not as described". Both were technically correct for the item I purchased but from a closer reading of the policies I think only "item not as described" actually does what I want it to.

Sadly, once a return request is closed by eBay you can't open another one even if it has a different reason.
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

yes unfortunately if you returned it on your own dime, then there is nothing anyone can do for you if the seller, says it wasn;t received back to them,,  always send a return with tracking, and if the seller doesn't provide a return label, they will be required to paypal you the return shipping for items not as described,, as for a a remorse return, the seller is not required to pay return shipping..

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Yes I did. It shows returned. It also shows how I ended up buying the shipping label. I even bothered to attach a message stating how much it cost the shipping, and how much is the return value. But eBay customer support I believe are robots. Now I'm gonna call them.
Message 15 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for your kind reply. I called twice and nothing got resolved.

I stood outside (0 degree) for 50 minutes and made two consecutive calls. First one reached some 'expert' who mumbled stuff about refunding, and I said ok. He put me on the hold until the call hanged up automatically (it was 32 minutes). Second one reached another 'expert' (named Emma) who passed the buck back to me (through a representative) saying I should contact the seller (which I did for a month), or contact my financial institution (to refund postage cost, when they did their work while eBay did not???).

I had $22 CAD lost in this when eBay states:

If the seller is responsible for return shipping, it's important that they cover the costs. If they don't provide a paid method of return shipping, or if they don't offer to reimburse you for return shipping, let us know by asking eBay to step in.

Link

I am furious, and to the hell with eBay. I'll trade with Paypal next time - at least they do their job.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Here's the hard truth: You can neither trust the seller nor eBay in return case.

Be sure to open a return request, because without one they customer support cannot see anything. Don't care about causing strike to seller because I spent a month on this sh*t while thinking about making everyone happy. All I got was procrastination and inaction.

Be sure to ship with tracking, even if it's more expensive. And BE SURE TO REFUSE BUYING A SHIPPING LABEL YOURSELF! Let the seller mop up the mess. It's not your fault anyway if they have to afford return shipping.

Last thing: Be sure to open a case if nothing is received in due time. Don't waste a second of your life on this rotten system.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I stood outside (0 degree) for 50 minutes and made two consecutive calls.

Why?

EBay answers whether you are indoors or out.

Also, it is better to use a laptop or desktop when trying to solve problems, just because mobile apps are 'simplified' and don't show all your options clearly.

We all agree that if the seller is at fault* then the seller is required to send return shipping- preferably as a label, but there is a way of doing it through Paypal's Send Money service.

But doing on a smartphone is, as you have learned, not easy.

While few internet cafes still exist,  most public library branches have public access computers. So do some community centres.

And schools /universities also have public access machines for their students and staff.

*And if he gives measurements, it is NOT his fault if you buy knowing that the measurements won't work. That's Buyer Remorse and the buyer should be paying for tracked return shipping.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

It sounds as if you are past the date for an eBay dispute, even if you had not actually lost the one you opened.

You are still covered by Paypal.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

Ignore the part about Contacting the Seller.

Ask PP to step in and Escalate to a Claim.

PUT THE TRACKING NUMBER IN THE CLAIM. This will prove that the seller got the item back.

You MUST include that number or you will lose.

If the seller doesn't refund, PP will, and go after him for their money.

You will NOT get the return shippiing fee back but you have 180 days from Payment to file a PP Dispute.

And use a computer. It will be easier.

And yes, this method is completely robotic. The robots are faster and smarter than the minimum wage clerks in Utah and the Phillippines who answer phones.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for your feedback. I got poor signal indoors so I had to go out.

I opened a case early enough to get item value + original shipping, but not return shipping. Because the seller encouraged me to pay for return shipping myself, which is a violation of policy, I decided to make him suffer too with a policy violation report.

BUYER BEWARE: Make sure to communicate through the return page with the seller, if you can't get the shipping back, you can make him suffer with you. One claim is a strike, plus another from policy violation.

There was tracking number and it was delivered, which is why I won the case.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply