A CHRISTIAN THREAD

tom_no.1
Community Member
Welcome to a place where Christ should be exalted and "Self" should be abased!!

Welcome to a place where the BIBLE can be discussed rationally, intelligently, and positively without unnecessary argument!!

Welcome to a place where prayer can be requested and encouraged!!

Welcome to a place where positive and encouraging thoughts from scripture can be shared in a caring and loving way!!

Welcome to a place away from all the arguments, recriminations, and negativity of the outside world!!

Welcome to a place of rest and safety!!

Welcome to a place where Philippians 2:3 is practiced: "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves."

Welcome to this Christian thread.

(Please leave all aggression, bitterness, and philosophy outside the door and please wipe your feet before coming inside!!)

I live in my own little world. But it's OK... They know me Here!

Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. Eph.6:11.
Eph.6:10-17.
Message 1 of 5,136
latest reply
5,135 REPLIES 5,135

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

alittlefaith4you
Community Member
Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her 'How could God let something like this happen?' (regarding Katrina) Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said, 'I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?'

i got this in an email today and it got me thinking so i figured id pass it on .
Message 4081 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

tom_no.1
Community Member
Good evening everyone.

TOB LOL :^O

...and a snipe. 😉

Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. Eph.6:11.
Eph.6:10-17.
Message 4082 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

Hi to everyone! Wonderful visit with my son and his girlfriend.

Have a good evening. ((((everyone of good heart))))
Message 4083 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

Oh! Hello Tom, Sorry, I am about to go out and just wanted to say "Hi" and haven't read back far.

Kim--Congratulations!!!! to your team.
Message 4084 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

tough_old_bird
Community Member
My mum was taken into the hospital today....she has been coughing up blood again. After doing a CT scan of her chest, they have found that she is full of cancer. They have told us that she may have months, she may have days. They are going to try and cauterize the 'bleeder' tomorrow. I pray she goes quickly...she has been through so much. Prayers appreciated.
Message 4085 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

nicki9912
Community Member
Oh god, TOB, I'm so sorry to read this

I have been praying for her for so long, and so hard, and I'm ... Just... So.... Sorry....

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 4086 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

nicki9912
Community Member

Photobucket
Message 4087 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

cats1953
Community Member
TOB - I am so very, very sorry. Sending prayers.

Nancy
Message 4088 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

(((((((((((((TOB))))))))))))))

My thoughts are with you. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket

Message 4089 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

wattie515
Community Member
((((((((TOB))))))))))

Photobucket
Message 4090 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

apollosplace
Community Member
TOB I'm so sorry

Photobucket
Message 4091 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

((((TOB and MOM))))Both of you wonderful, wonderful women are in my heart and prayers today.
Message 4092 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

mazyvr
Community Member
(((TOB and Mum)))) My Prayers are with you,

Marion
Message 4093 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

Kim, I want to add that both of you have done all you could have done, I admire you both so much. Just want to add extra (((((hugs))))), because I know how hard it is to be far away. ((((((((((Kim and Mom)))))))))))
Message 4094 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

squiddley_diddley
Community Member
😞 Oh no, what a shame! I do hope that after all that she has already suffered, that the hospital can at least make your Mom comfortable as soon as possible so that her last days are pleasant & peaceful. Will keep both of you in my thoughts & prayers.

Message 4095 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

spendmama
Community Member
((((TOB & mom)))))
People don't care what you know until they know that you care.

*Prayers for Barry*

Photobucket
Knowledge is not enough, we must apply; willing is not enough, we must do. - Unknown
Message 4096 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

Thought I would dip in here and post a question.

The golden compass is out in about a week and my kids want to see it.

In the original books, pullman writes in a way that is not very favorable to religion , specifically Catholic.

now on the one hand I think he is a very good writer...better than well these books are better than the harry potter books.

but on the other hand I was raised Catholic...any while I often look at other religions, I basically stick to that one.

so

I know that the movie is toning down the Atheist Views and making it more about lyra..

but I guess I am concerned that my kids will walk away wanting to read the books...

and since pullman is the person that Athiests have been praying for...I

well...

are any of you boycotting this film?

what's your take? Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 4097 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

Hi Bruce! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

I hope someone will be along to answer your question. I am not Catholic, so I can't be much help. Not many posters seem to identify their church, so I am not sure if there are Catholics posting. Hopefully there are, and they and other parents will let you know how they are handling it.

Good luck.:-)
Message 4098 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

spendmama
Community Member
Well, Bruce, I'm not Catholic either, but ... here you go ... this is A (as opposed to "the") Christian view out there. My movie-going budget is almost nil so I don't really pay attention to all these 'opinions', but no one really decides for me which movies I should or should not go to. Because I am in several church or bible study forums, and probably because of my position in church and school, I do receive e-mails of similar content as discussed on this link.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

This may be a dumb question...but what is 'lyra'??

My personal take on this? I study for myself and read other people's opinions with an open mind. I never stopped my kids from reading Harry Potter books or seeing the movies. From a literary view, my daughter thinks they are very well written books although the content doesn't appeal much to her. We did discuss, however, how it impacted their relationship with God and did it make them a better person. I believe in living a life of example as a parent and that how I live my life would have much much more impact on their lives than any book or movie. My kids always knew they can discuss any questions they might have with me. I hope and pray that I have built a firm foundation on which they can stand and make good choices. So far it has worked very well for me. My foundational belief is..."I believe in & serve a living & loving God". Everything I do is based on this. I am not necessarily boycotting 'compass' - just have no desire to see it. (BTW, I didn't go running to see "The Passion of the Christ either.)

I'm sure whatever you choose to do will be in the best interest of your children.
People don't care what you know until they know that you care.

*Prayers for Barry*

Photobucket
Knowledge is not enough, we must apply; willing is not enough, we must do. - Unknown
Message 4099 of 5,136
latest reply

A CHRISTIAN THREAD

If I may….(just passing through)

To begin with I am not an atheist, I believe in a higher power, just not that which others believe in.

I have read that some Catholic schools are considering pulling this book off their shelves. Well to begin with, they have a right to in a free world. It’s their schools and their children, although I disagree with their view. I believe people in general and children should have their minds opened up to many concepts of beliefs. My first thought is if a certain concept is believed to be the ‘only real one’, or the ‘best’, they why would they fear scrutiny and questions? When you close people’s minds, they sometimes stay closed and when they are adults the closed minds can lead to prejudice and hatred…we’ve seen this all through history. When people do not learn about other people it graduates to this idea of ‘they are different’ and there is ‘something to fear’. This is not often the case in reality. I have always wondered why schools and even parents are so afraid of other concepts. Instead of taking the concept and talking to their children about it in a logical manner, they turn to censorship and what does censorship do?……it makes people wonder what are others are trying to hide and most often it makes it even more important for them to read, or see, what is being hidden from their view. In essence you make a martyr out of a book, or movie. When I was in school the book ‘Catcher In The Rye’ was pulled off the shelves. What was the result? Nearly every kid I knew, myself included, bought or borrowed a copy to find out what the big deal was. In the end…..there was no big deal.

I think keeping an open mind and not living in fear of perceptions and concepts is a better thing. I’ll tell you a short story…….I was brought up Catholic….spent years in indoctrination….even planned to become a priest. My education was through nuns and priest my whole early life from grade 4, through high school and almost one year seminary. One day I was walking down the hall of the high school with my books under my arm and I passed Sister Augustine. She was an old nun and one of the hard-azz teachers. She yelled out my name and said “STOP”. Instantly I knew what it was…..one book I was carrying with the cover facing forward was a book by the existentialist Jean-Paul Sartre. (old Sister Augustine had the eyes of a hawk). She asked for the book and I handed it to her. I thought to myself I might as well start clearing my locker out because reading this sort of book in the strict atmosphere I was in, was verboten. She looked at the book, looked at me, looked at the book and then handed it back saying …….good, keep reading. She knew the value of knowledge and she probably felt her faith…our faith (mine at that time)….was more powerful than anything else. She did not fear questions or thoughts. I don’t think we should either. JMPO

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 4100 of 5,136
latest reply