Black Friday - several Bait and Switch observed

I have not physically participated in Black Fridays in perhaps even 10yrs, and always have used online shopping if available, but today we went out. We did not line up in front of superstores at 7am, but we took our time and left home at about 10am.

First observation - event is overhyped. There were no crowds much larger than usual. While most people, including myself, shop for technology, stores like JYSK were empty in spite of having no-tax event at the same time. I use this time of the year to do technology acquisitions and upgrades as many items go on sales and clearances. End of year is good time to get rid of stale inventory and fish the customers on the bait, although in Canada even fishing has rules called Canadian Code of Advertising Standards. Another good time to upgrade is January/February as many people overspend in Nov/Dec, the Jan/Feb are very quiet for technology vendors and they still need to get paid, so many technology items are available during this time at very deep discount and it's not as annoyingly hyped as Black Friday or Boxing Day so no ultra-limited stock or elbowing through the crowds.

First stop - Walmart. Wife wanted Tassimo T46 as her Christmas present and they had the best deal in town on the widget. Store was busy but not crowded, stock was sufficient. I also checked the electronics section for Lexar 32GB USB drive for $14.xx I seen in the flyer, found it and it scanned at $35. I thought it was a pricing mistake, but the shop clerk said the sale items were already out and these are regular price items. I did not dispute, plenty of fish in the sea. #1 - Bait and Switch. The blatancy of this is, they had stock of exactly same item about 3hrs after sale started selling it at regular price. If this is not B&S, then nothing is.

Stopped in Canadian Tire to pick up few jugs of synthetic oil. Busy, not crowded, sufficient stock of item I wanted. Staff somewhat annoyed. Did you notice Canadian Tire radio ads about having "lowest prices of the year" ? This is a blatant lie as pretty much every item on my watchlist of some 10 items were sold at greater discounts during the year. #2 - Price Claim violations and Comparative Advertising violations

Note: Canadian Tire employs the marketing technique where they mark-up many items significantly and run them on deep sale periodically relying on customers to buy other stuff while in the store. This is a legitimate selling technique as long as there is a much longer time of product being sold off-sale than on-sale, many supermarkets employ similar scheme, but CanadianTire is notorious. You can register on their website and add item you will need in the future into your watchlist and you get notification when it goes on sale. Especially their own store brands all go on sale. Give it 1-3 months.

Fast forward several stores, we ended in Target. I was interested in Microsoft Xbox 360 for $130 that included $40 Target gift card. Turns out they only received 2 units for entire event for 100,000 square feet facility. I wonder how many hundred people drove there just for this item. #3 - Bait and Switch.

I must applaud some stores for putting up a note about certain high-demand items being already sold out right at their entrance. It does not prevent people from driving there, but at least shows some effort to save people's time, perhaps their marketing campaign was not all about bait the customer then switch them to something more expensive.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

We just came back from Carter's / Osh Kosh

Purchased seven items for our granddaughters for Christmas

ALL at 25% off (today only) as advertised.

We are happy!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Good to hear, Pierre. Most stores are fine citizens, but some must be reminded they are not in Kansas anymore.

I filed official complaint against Target Canada with Competition Buerau. Fines are severe, first violations up to 10M, subsequent up to 15M. My information says Target has pulled same stunt on multiple products in multiple locations just during this one event, so let it unfold. Maybe Competition Buerau can fix national deficit if they go after each location separately 🙂

The disclaimer "limited quantity available" is not going to work for them. http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/00522.html

I encourage everyone who got frustrated with driving to a place only to find out they were out of stock few minutes after advertised bargain started  - to file a complaint under Competition Act

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/h_00130.html

Black Friday is American invention and if they want to keep stomping each other to death and fighting over piece of plastic, let them keep this nonsense behind our border. I don't want to be bombarded by fake promises and waste my time in pursuit of acquiring something that did not exist in the first place, that's why we have Competition Bureau to protect us from likes of Target.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Last Monday (Nov 25) Mary purchased - for my birthday - a 32" flat panel TV at Best Buy.  This weekend the same TV is offered at $30 discount (Black Friday weekend sale).

We stopped by Best Buy this morning and a $33.90 refund (including tax) was quickly processed. No problem!

To be honest, we more or less expected a sale for "Black Friday" and figured there was no point in waiting a few days, fight the crowd on Black Friday and risk them being sold out. 

It worked out perfectly. Smiley Happy 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply