Canadian Credit Card Class Action Lawsuit

I saw an ad for this on TV today. Apparently there's a class action lawsuit in Canada against the banks and credit card companies who engaged in poor practices betwen March and September of last year. For small sellers, you can apparently claim $30 with no documentation.

I haven't looked at the actual form yet so I'm not sure if eBay sellers would qualify or if you had to have a more direct contract.  Just thought I'd mention it here before I forget.

https://creditcardsettlements.ca/

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

marnotom!
Community Member
My interpretation is that a claimant would have had to have had a credit card merchant account in the specified time period. PayPal would have been considered the Merchant of Record for most eBay sales made by credit card at that time.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yeah, that's possible. I'll probably send them an email tomorrow and ask for clarification. Still, the fees are essentially passed on to us so ... maybe?

Hopefully there's other sellers with merchant accounts here that can apply regardless.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I'm actually kind of curious how eBay will handle the results of this settlement agreement as well. Will they start charging sellers more if buyers pay with certain kinds of credit cards? In theory, they might be able to now.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

...curious how eBay will handle the results of this settlement agreement as well. Will they start charging sellers more if buyers pay with certain kinds of credit cards? In theory, they might be able to now.

Other way around, they would be allowed to charge Buyers extra for using a fancy high-benefit credit card.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Other way around, they would be allowed to charge Buyers extra for using a fancy high-benefit credit card.

And I predict that's unlikely to happen.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Maybe they will allow sellers to refuse American Express cards for the same reasons most B&M merchants do.

Slow payments, high fees, and an overeager willingness to allow chargebacks.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Appears the Discover Card is still not permitted on ca but is allowed on dot com. Curious to know how many times this discrepancy causes an issue for Canadian sellers selling to US buyers when they go to pay? Do they get an accurate error message...reason?

-Lotz

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

When I was working in our B&M an American tourist wanted to use her Discover card and was unhappy that it was not accepted.
Her husband was actually in Ottawa on business and had sent her out to see the sights and do a little shopping, with only that unusable card in her purse. She couldn't even get lunch and most "sights" had an admission fee.

She was very polite about it though.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@clemowbooks wrote:

When I was working in our B&M an American tourist wanted to use her Discover card and was unhappy that it was not accepted.
Her husband was actually in Ottawa on business and had sent her out to see the sights and do a little shopping, with only that unusable card in her purse. She couldn't even get lunch and most "sights" had an admission fee.

She was very polite about it though.

@clemowbooks 

They've been calling credit and debit cards convenience cards for a few years. Really not a convenience when they are either not usable or a fee to use them is added. (There was a local grocery store that would take Mastercard but not Visa). Unsure if that is still the policy or there was enough pushback that they were forced to change.) I haven't gone to that particular store in ages. They made themselves inconvenient.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Appears the Discover Card is still not permitted on ca but is allowed on dot com. Curious to know how many times this discrepancy causes an issue for Canadian sellers selling to US buyers when they go to pay? Do they get an accurate error message...reason?

I don't think Discover is accepted or acknowledged by any eBay site other than .com, though, so wouldn't that make .com the one that's inconsistent or out of step?

Have you experienced this issue yourself as a seller?  I think that Canadian sellers who list on .com have their transaction go through the US MP system, which does accept Discover payments.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

I don't think Discover is accepted or acknowledged by any eBay site other than .com, though, so wouldn't that make .com the one that's inconsistent or out of step?

Have you experienced this issue yourself as a seller?  I think that Canadian sellers who list on .com have their transaction go through the US MP system, which does accept Discover payments.

@marnotom! 

I had a US customer awhile back that tried everything under the sun to make a purchase. Had what he wanted. Price was right. Delivery time was good but his payment would not go through. At the time I was unaware that if he was using a Discover card(just told me CC) that could be a problem. I consider that a lost sale. Just would be interested to know how many US buyers try to buy something from a Canadian seller, it doesn't work and they just go elsewhere. We all know how many buyers actually message sellers when there is a problem up front. It's not like Canadian sellers need any more roadblocks to get business.

-Lotz

How many people own a Discover card?
57 million cardholders

Discover is the third largest credit card brand in the U.S. based on the number of cards in circulation, behind Visa and Mastercard, with 57 million cardholders.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Canadian sellers that list on .com show Discovery card as a form of payment on their listing so I'm sure that it would be accepted. As far as it being a problem with US buyers making a purchase on from a listing on .ca... I'm not aware of anyone having a problem with it which doesn't mean it hasn't happened. But I doubt that it happens very often.  I used to have a business who had tons of US tourists and we accepted Discovery cards. But in almost 20 years I only remember seeing transactions with Discover cards 2 or 3 times. People just didn't use them.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply