'Gold purchased inside Ontario coffee shop for $1,200 worth less than a small coffee'

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/gold-purchased-inside-ont-tim-hortons-for-1-200-worth-less-than...

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 5.59.02 AM.png

This article strikes me as odd for a couple of reasons but I've never been in the market for gold bouillon so I don't actually know if people meet one another at a coffeeshop to buy and sell items valued at $1200. I don't think I would do that, it seems risky. Especially for something so easily replicated. I think I'd be asking to meet in the parking lot of an appraiser. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

'Gold purchased inside Ontario coffee shop for $1,200 worth less than a small coffee'

Also, the headline is misleading. It implies the counterfeit item was sold by a coffeeshop when, in fact, the location of the transaction had nothing to do with the situation.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

The headline should read something like, 'Fake Gold Bar bought for $1200 from Reseller Worth 25 cents' or even 'Fake Gold Bullion bought for $1200 from Reseller Worth 25 cents' if you want to be fancy. (I almost used the word 'boullion' again which makes the whole thing funny.)

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Maybe the Tiims sells the boullion? After all, it is cold outside!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

There are certain things that should not be bought on eBay.

These are items that should be bought... in person..... and in the case of this item... fully tested ... in person

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

This transaction didn't have even the legitimacy of ebay. it was a pseudo classified ad site.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

In the guy's defense, he did meet the reseller in a public place and paid cash.

That's what we tell sellers of expensive items to do.

But .... 'slightly below market value'... Gordon Gekko was wrong.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply