Our immigration failure

valve37
Community Member

Trudeau’s open arms immigration policy (announced when first elected) opened the flood gates for President Trump’s hundreds of thousands of US undesirable US illegal immigrants. Last month 2600 crossed the border into Quebec and the Liberals have no plan to stop the flow. It’s this kind of policy that may tip the scales into more racist confrontations similar to Lethbridge a week ago.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Our immigration failure

15 REPLIES 15

Our immigration failure

Last year we were seeing Haitian families, in the US legally after the earthquake, who were afraid of being deported if the legal program they had status under was ended by Trump.

Most were families, spoke French, and had been working in the USA legally. About half of the processed refugees have been accepted by Canada.

This year we are seeing Nigerians, mostly young men, who are simply passing through the USA. There is a strong doubt in my mind that they will be accepted by Canada.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Our immigration failure

This is a result of  the PM rolling out the red carpet.  They are now in damage control.  According to the "National" a couple of nights ago, It takes an average of 2 years to process the applicants, unless they are detained a lot can happen in that time.   As various nationalities group together, they will support each other.  For those not accepted they will become part of their community, it will be difficult to expel people, once they have created a life in Canada.  Every church group and charity will defend these peoples right to stay. As one of the news anchors said.  This situation is not going away, so we must deal with it.  

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Our immigration failure

It's a complicated political problem and not at its core a domestic one.

As I understand it, the problem stems from an omission in the language of the Canada - U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement which regulates how asylum seekers arriving at the border points are handled. Those seeking asylum at any port of entry (in both directions) are simply denied entry.

The problem is the agreement ONLY applies at ports of entry, there is nothing in the agreement pertaining to asylum seekers wandering across fields in the dark of night, legally we must harbour them and accept their refugee claim for consideration. Ultimately the claim may be denied but in the interim they stay.

None of this was a problem until Trump began his "pronouncements" and triggered this mini exodus from the U.S. I'm not at all surprised the current America administration isn't being cooperative in fixing the agreement...after all they're getting what they wanted.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Our immigration failure

I was planning to ignore this rank bait until others came. I get irate when I see people complain about immigration or refugees. The only person with any right whatsoever to complain about immigrants is an indigenous Canadian. That's a voice to which I'll listen, the OP? Not so much. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Our immigration failure

Isn't it nice a democratic system allows everyone to voice an opinion without being offensive.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Our immigration failure

How many of us are descendants of immigrants from many parts of the world?

The first true immigrants were the Norse who settled for a short period of time in Newfoundland, at about 1000 AD.

Or... Was it those who crossed the Bering Strait to arrive in North America

Then came Cartier in 1534 in the Gulf of St Lawrence and Champlain in 1604 first in Port Royal, Acadia (Nova Scotia), and then 1608 in Quebec City.

The only people who paid the price then were those who lived here long before Cartier and Champlain arrived in North America....  It was these new immigrants that created a mess with the people who had lived here for centuries before the Europeans arrived in Today's Canada...

It was the new immigrants  that assumed  that they knew better than those who lived here for centuries before the arrival of the new immigrants in those very early days of European settlement in Canada.

Those who came to Canada late in the nineteenth  century and early in the twentieth century were from Europe...  Today the immigrants come from the Middle East...  to escape the maniacal rulers in their home country...

If one wants to see the heritage of Canada, they should visit  Folklorama in Winnipeg  in early August of each year.   Each immigrant group maintains its heritage  in Canada.

Many in the northern US states will come to Canada  to experience the  beauty... music and dance ... of Canada's immigrant heritage.   

The people of Canada have and will continue to understand the differences among people.  This is what makes Canada special.

My personal view of immigration is the fact that my grandparents, both my father's and mother's  parents, came from the Ukraine before the First World War.  Life in the Ukraine was terrible after this First World War,  and then in relation to the famine-genocide in Ukraine in 1932-33.

If my grandparents  had not come to Canada when they did, I most likely would not be here... alive... and writing this.  

Immigration has made Canada what it is today....  Let us understand this reality

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Our immigration failure

Thank you, you have eloquently stated my feelings on this subject as well. 

In my lifetime as an adult, I've had the pleasure and honour of becoming well-acquainted with two families who came to Canada as young adults and young adults with families as a result of being refugees fleeing unsafe conditions in their homelands. One family came from the former Yugoslavia and the other Pakistan. These are people who left everything behind at the same age I was comfortably moving into Winnipeg to start college and begin my career. Unlike me, they started over with nothing except shocking memories and determination to start fresh. 

Today, one is a doctor in Yellowknife with this family where they ultimately settled to fill a desperate need for medical care in that community, the other is my husband's boss, having built a successful international design firm from the ground up. Among their clients is one of the biggest multi-national media companies in the world today.

This is my personal experience with immigrants and refugees. Refugees and immigrants will change the face of any country, yes, but make it better for their being here. 

I am a third- and fourth-generation Canadian. The parents of my great-grandparents came from Poland and Germany and Russia as peasants. They became farmers on the Prairies. There's a rich history also of Icelanders in Manitoba. English and French fur traders. All of colonial Canadian history is, for better or worse, built on immigration. The ancestors of our First Nations folks were immigrants to the land at one time too. Like I said at first, the only people who I feel have any right to complain about immigration are our indigenous people and the immigrants they would be complaining about would include me. 

As a Canadian, I am honoured to welcome everyone to join me. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Our immigration failure

I think the problem here is that the OP is referring to an "immigration failure" in the title of the thread but the failure they actually mean is this country's system for dealing with refugees.  

I remember the boatloads of smuggled Chinese that came ashore to British Columbia in the late 1990s, and the situation with the immigrants coming in via the United States doesn't strike me as much different.  The problem in the 1990s was that there wasn't a legal means for these people to enter the country, and I don't think our laws have since been adjusted to deal with this sort of situation.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Our immigration failure

We must adjust... adapt  to the new situation....

There was once a time many decades ago  that one could walk down Selkirk Avenue in North Winnipeg, between Powers and Andrews,  and have the impression that one hears a new European language every 10 feet.  Today  this  area is very  different, and with a focus on those with a native heritage.

There was once a soccer game between two teams of young girls...One team wore the Hijab, a head dress for women  from the Middle East....  The other team wore no head dress.  The referee said the head dress was not allowed in a soccer game, but the girls did not remove the Hijab.  The game was cancelled.

Then at the next soccer game  the team of girls continued to wear the hijab.   The referee showed up and looked at both teams and said nothing..  Even though the second team was not of Middle East heritage, they also wore the Hijab.   A most interesting way to adjust..

There is nothing more spectacular than seeing  a group of RCMP officers marching on TV  and with one officer wearing a turban.  Also... Which minister in Canada's government wears a turban?

There many things one sees....  The parents follow the heritage of the country in which they were born.  Their children are Canadian, dress and behave like Canadians,  from the day they were born or the day they entered Canada.

Canadians remember  their heritage  and we in Winnipeg celebrate that heritage during Folklorama each year, and all of the ther days of each year.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Our immigration failure

Canada's biggest problem today is what is happening south of the Canada-US border.....

and...  recent immigrants to the US choose to move  north to Canada.

There was also a time when people would come to Canada, and apply to live in the US.

Canada has rules..... but there are those in Canada who choose to assist new immigrants no matter who they are and where they originally came from.

Historically there has been difficult times.  In spite of difficult times  Canadians have adjusted  and will continue to do so.

For me it is supper at a local mall on Friday evening.  This is a unique reality  where one sees who works each restaurant,  the ethnic diversity of the many who walk by.....and that includes couples, young and older......  and then the mixture of teenagers from a local school.   The next generation will adjust just like past generations did.  Each new generation makes Canada unique.  Canadians will always adjust  because we understand who we were, and who we are today

Historically some immigrant groups have suffered.....  I have sold many books with such a history in Canada.  Adjustments have been made in spite of many difficulties.  There will always be some form of barrier, but none that cannot be torn down and set aside....

What may be viewed as immigrant failure today  will be different in years to come.  History is our mirror of judgment    Let us adjust.... and continue to adjust with each passing year.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Our immigration failure

"What may be viewed as immigrant failure today  will be different in years to come.  History is our mirror of judgment    Let us adjust.... and continue to adjust with each passing year."

Well spoken Cumos55, hopefully you are correct and multiculturalism with it's segregation does not lead us down the same road as France. Pierre Elliot Trudeau I'm sure wanted assimilation and not enclaves.

European 'No-Go' Zones: Fact or Fiction? Part 1: France

• A 120-page research paper entitled "No-Go Zones in the French Republic: Myth or Reality?" documented dozens of French neighborhoods "where police and gendarmerie cannot enforce the Republican order or even enter without risking confrontation, projectiles, or even fatal shootings."

• In October 2011, a 2,200-page report, "Banlieue de la République" (Suburbs of the Republic) found that Seine-Saint-Denis and other Parisian suburbs are becoming "separate Islamic societies" cut off from the French state and where Islamic Sharia law is rapidly displacing French civil law.

• The report also showed how the problem is being exacerbated by radical Muslim preachers who are promoting the social marginalization of Muslim immigrants in order to create a parallel Muslim society in France that is ruled by Sharia law.

• The television presenter asks: "What if we went to the suburbs?" Obertone replies: "I do not recommend this. Not even we French dare go there anymore. But nobody talks about this in public, of course. Nor do those who claim, 'long live multiculturalism,' and 'Paris is wonderful!' dare enter the suburbs."

The jihadist attack on the Paris offices of Charlie Hebdo, a French magazine known for lampooning Islam, has cast a spotlight on so-called no-go zones in France and other European countries.

No-go zones are Muslim-dominated neighborhoods that are largely off limits to non-Muslims due to a variety of factors, including the lawlessness and insecurity that pervades a great number of these areas. Host-country authorities have effectively lost control over many no-go zones and are often unable or unwilling to provide even basic public aid, such as police, fire fighting and ambulance services, out of fear of being attacked by Muslim youth.

Muslim enclaves in European cities are also breeding grounds for Islamic radicalism and pose a significant threat to Western security.

Europe's no-go zones are the by-product of decades of multicultural policies that have encouraged Muslim immigrants to create parallel societies and remain segregated from — rather than become integrated into — their European host nations.

The problem of no-go zones is well documented, but multiculturalists and their politically correct supporters vehemently deny that they exist. Some are now engaged in a concerted campaign to discredit and even silence those who draw attention to the issue.

Her is the complete article:

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5128/france-no-go-zones

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Our immigration failure

I'd take anything the Gatestone Institute posts with a sack of salt.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/john-bolton-chaired-anti-muslim-think-tank-n868171
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Our immigration failure

@marnotom! wrote:
I'd take anything the Gatestone Institute posts with a sack of salt.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/john-bolton-chaired-anti-muslim-think-tank-n868171

I'm of the opinion that the evolution of social media has become a great danger menacing societies around the world.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Our immigration failure

It was after the Second World War that people immigrated from Ukraine-Soviet Union.

Once in Canada they promoted Communism..... Communist principles..  Those who already lived in Canada told them to ... Shut-Up.....  and enjoy Canada as it is.

There was once a "Communist Party" in Parts of Canada.....  but... today  it is no longer in Canada.

------------------------------------

In Canada we have a broad base of immigrants....New immigrants find that it is difficult to promote unacceptable principles....We accept new immigrants based on who they are  and do not put them into segregation... or allow them to establish a segregated "state" within Canada.

I grew up in North Winnipeg at a time  when European immigration had put people with many languages all living together.  We all recognize we are Canadian, but with an ethnic background with a language other than English.

--------------------------------------

We in Winnipeg accept ethnic diversity... All one has to do is visit Folklorama early in August of each.  We in Winnipeg work to keep our heritage alive.

Folklorama is a celebration by ethnic groups.  Each group promotes their unique food, song, dance and more, at a location in Winnipeg….  It is party-time every day for two weeks  with different groups active during the first or second week

People from the northern US states have organized tours to visit Winnipeg at the time of Folklorama.  This becomes a celebration of their heritage as it is presented  in Canada.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply