Tax not charged on sale

I had a sale this morning where no tax was charged. The item was in the DVDs category (and was a movie). The listing was on eBay Canada. The item location is correctly set in Canada. I'm in Canada. The shipping address is to a Canadian address.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the buyer has a tax exemption, but I was under the impression that eBay hadn't implemented that yet. Does anyone know if that has changed? Is there a new bug? I assume if a bug is responsible that eBay deals with it (I am HST registered, and filled out and received the countersigned election form)?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Tax not charged on sale

@flipistics wrote:

I had a sale this morning where no tax was charged. The item was in the DVDs category (and was a movie). The listing was on eBay Canada. The item location is correctly set in Canada. I'm in Canada. The shipping address is to a Canadian address.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the buyer has a tax exemption, but I was under the impression that eBay hadn't implemented that yet. Does anyone know if that has changed? Is there a new bug? I assume if a bug is responsible that eBay deals with it (I am HST registered, and filled out and received the countersigned election form)?

@flipistics 

From a google search this came up for dot com. If that is the case it is not well known for buyers.

eBay's Buyer Exemption program for sales tax

If you are a tax-exempt buyer, we have a buyer exemption system that allows you to submit sales tax exemption certificates to eBay and make purchases without paying sales tax. Alternatively, you may be able to get a credit for sales tax paid to eBay directly from your state.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/tax-information

Page does not exist on ca that I could find.

Discussion from 2020 on ca on the subject thas is now closed.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Tax-Exempt-Canadian-Buyers-Is-it-correct-that-they-need-...

-Lotz

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Tax not charged on sale

I believe that is for US sellers who have a resellers certificate. If they are purchasing something for their business, they don't have to pay tax.    Canadian sellers can get their tax from the government so I doubt that ebay.ca will implement that here.

I had my own business for years and buyers who were tax exempt still paid tax and had to collect it from goverment.  I think that is the norm though perhaps there are exceptions.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Tax not charged on sale

Out of curiousity, which province are they in?   Was the listing on .com or .ca?  It should be charged on either but again, just curious.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Tax not charged on sale

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Out of curiousity, which province are they in?   Was the listing on .com or .ca?  It should be charged on either but again, just curious.

.ca, and they're in Newfoundland.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Tax not charged on sale

interesting...I noticed a few maritimers incl NF'lander buyers where it did the same, missed charging them part of the tax (but not all)....I think theirs is harmonized.  Not sure why, I concluded it was a glitch on their part. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Tax not charged on sale

it likely doesnt exist on .ca as in Canada that GST any buyer pays who has a business reselling that has a GST number and/or who claims what they buy to resell uses the GST as a tax credit to write down what they need to remit in GST at the end of the year.  Its already technically its own 'tax exemption' program up here.   

Message 7 of 7
latest reply